AAC proposing Grant of Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC proposing Grant of Rights

Sport Business Daily is reporting that the AAC and Mike Aresco are going to propose a GoR deal to member schools to make the conference more attractive in a TV contract negotiation. The theory being If schools are anchored to the conference, the TV deal is worth more to broadcasters.

Where this is a a problem is that we're anchored until Year xxxx and can't move if there's an expansion or realignment. Frankly if the GoR goes past 2024 we woudn't want to sign it and neither would the other larger schools in conference like UCF, Houston and USF who are looking to be picked up by a larger conference.
    Last edited by Lobot; 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I wish this hadn't become public. Now if schools sign on they're anchored, and if they don't there will be discord within the conference.

I do yearn for some permanency, but in the current situation UC (and the other conference schools) are still screwed as "rinky-dink" schools (yes, I heard a weekend radio sports talker refer to UCF, one of the largest schools in the country as such during a CFP discussion) that are getting crumbs while the "big" schools feast. And it's so unfair - we were victims of a power play.

Comment

Absolutely and the player was ESPN. If I'm the conference brass I use ESPN's bid as a bargaining chip to go elsewhere for more.

The future is totally in streaming . Fox is terrible at that part of the business. I think you look at Amazon, Apple, ESPN, Stadium and FOX in that order. FOX might give us more money and probably has more to throw around but I really don't want to end up on FS2 with lousy streaming options. Hulu is part owned by FOX and will stream FOX properties but that's leaves out the folks who don't have Hulu. The cheapest plans on the streaming nets like Hulu and AT&T PS VUE, etc. don't do live TV. If the conference sticks with ESPN, I wouldn't be surprised if the conference got shoved to ESPN+ and that's no good for anyone unless you like forking up an extra $5-10 a month for it.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have PS Vue and it has plenty of live TV? Also I highly recommend it for anyone considering cutting the cord. Has the best price for all the major sports channels, free DVR service, and it doesn't require a PlayStation to watch. I mostly watch it with Roku and Fire TV along with the app built into my Sony TV

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
          I have PS Vue and it has plenty of live TV? Also I highly recommend it for anyone considering cutting the cord. Has the best price for all the major sports channels, free DVR service, and it doesn't require a PlayStation to watch. I mostly watch it with Roku and Fire TV along with the app built into my Sony TV
          I was wrong there. I assumed PSVue and AT&T had a basic tier and they don't. Hulu for example, has a tier without Live TV available at $11.99, so no sports included.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's a write up on the situation from Stewart Madel at the Athletic on the UCF and the proposed GoR

https://theathletic.com/706227/2018/...-ucf-football/
            Last edited by Lobot; 12-11-2018, 12:56 PM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

A bit old, but a minimal update ...
              The first conference TV rights are up for grabs since moving to the College Football Playoffs. By 2020, the AAC's next deal will shape their future.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X