No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing gets Bearcat News rolling like a good realignment thread!

Comment

WFAA here in Dallas is reporting that Texas and OU will send a letter to the BIg 12 informing them of their decision not to renew their media rights contract in 2025. Looks like the big wheel of realignment we were expecting from the last go around is finally going to happen.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Some more info on how this went down. Might be paywalled. ($)

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...rts-landscape/

"By SEC bylaws, the addition would require 11 votes from the current 14 members.". We already know MIssouri and Texas A&M are a no.

What will Arkansas do and is there a 4th no?
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Fair warning to everyone returning for a second go around and anyone who's new.

These Twitter accounts or any other various accounts attached to them or constantly retweeting them have no credible inside info at all. It's all make believe with them so don't get caught up in their ever moving goalpost garbage. They make up stuff and see what sticks for follows and likes.

TuxedoBabyYoda
          Flugempire
          TheDudeofWV
          ExpansionCrush
          GregSwaim (deleted?)
          Last edited by Lobot; 07-22-2021, 12:28 PM. Reason: added Greg Swaim
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Some more info on how this went down. Might be paywalled. ($)

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...rts-landscape/

"By SEC bylaws, the addition would require 11 votes from the current 14 members.". We already know MIssouri and Texas A&M are a no.

What will Arkansas do and is there a 4th no?
            If I'm Vandy, S Carolina, Arkansas, Miss St, or Ole Miss, I'd be hesitant to add both powerhouses, without another two teams like Memphic, UCF, Cincy, or Tulsa/Tulane to give them "winnable games". Maybe this is a ploy to leverage SEC against ACC or Pac-12/16, who knows, but why would perrenial bottom feeders add two more bullies? Sorry, but no matter how good they get, neither SMU or Houston has a shot if Texas gets added. A&M will be very vocal to let SEC teams know how Texas politics work.

Frankly, I'm shocked at this inquiry. It makes sense for Texas to ask. It makes sense for OU to inquire. But it only makes sense for the SEC to consider OU, and possibly OSU/ISU dropping UT altogether. Way too many egos and high expectations for a school that hasn't been nationally relevant in 15 years or more.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

If I'm Vandy, S Carolina, Arkansas, Miss St, or Ole Miss, I'd be hesitant to add both powerhouses, without another two teams like Memphic, UCF, Cincy, or Tulsa/Tulane to give them "winnable games". Maybe this is a ploy to leverage SEC against ACC or Pac-12/16, who knows, but why would perrenial bottom feeders add two more bullies? Sorry, but no matter how good they get, neither SMU or Houston has a shot if Texas gets added. A&M will be very vocal to let SEC teams know how Texas politics work.

Frankly, I'm shocked at this inquiry. It makes sense for Texas to ask. It makes sense for OU to inquire. But it only makes sense for the SEC to consider OU, and possibly OSU/ISU dropping UT altogether. Way too many egos and high expectations for a school that hasn't been nationally relevant in 15 years or more.
              Totally agreee with the ego thing for Texas. They are the conference member equivalent of a locker room cancer.

I was just discussing this being a feint to get the B1G to move the needle. They have a freshman commisioner who might be in over his head here.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Totally agreee with the ego thing for Texas. They are the conference member equivalent of a locker room cancer.

I was just discussing this being a feint to get the B1G to move the needle. They have a freshman commisioner who might be in over his head here.
                He takes orders from the schools anyway.

Comment

Big 12 AD’s meeting today at 5:00 CT. It looks like this is happening.

Comment

Hey, we couldn't have picked a better time be really good in football.

Comment

In reading a smattering of articles and fan comments: it seems to me that this is driven by the money losing ESPN evil empire. ESPN will take over SEC football rights from CBS. ESPN owns the struggling Texass Longhorn Network. ESPN and Fox have lowballed the Big 12 in initial talks to renew the contract which is HUGE because usually the conference wants contract to go to bidding war, not the network. OU is the desirable gem for any network/conference to add. Adding Texass likely hurts all SEC teams ability to recruit the state of Texas, more so to the bottom feeders.

The question here is can the networks make it worth it to the existing SEC members to take on extra tough games, less recruiting opportunities, Texass politics, and reshuffle existing rivalries. If the SEC is set to make 45-50 million per school, would they be happy if that number only goes to 50-52 million with addition of UT and OU?

The timing of this "news leak" is also suspicious, during the SEC media days as A&M is on the podium. Seems very well staged by some of the players involved.
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

and this...
                        https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...9/#168073579_1

Comment

Whatever happens, how do we ensure we don't get left out this time? I hope the administration can position us in the right spot for the future. Certainly, CLF has put the football program in a great place. As someone else mentioned this is good timing for us.

Comment

USA Today article (https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...12/8064007002/) lists potential Big 12 candidates.

Here. We. Go.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                              Big 12 AD’s meeting today at 5:00 CT. It looks like this is happening.
                              Texas and OU are not on this call per multiple sources.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X