No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want no part of the Big 12. I don't see that league surviving, at least not in its current form while adding two members. There would only be one natural rival (WVU) and everyone else would be too far for a meaningful road trip for fans. I think the conference was walking along thinking their health was pretty darn good then had a sudden, massive life-threatening health issue leaving everyone standing around saying, "What happened? They seemed so good and then BAM." No, I think our one shot to end up in the inevitable 64 team system is the ACC. I think our full court press should be to them. We will add to their football reputation and won't detract from their basketball reputation.

Comment

Here's another perspective that promotes the idea that the AAC should poach some of the remaining B12 schools. The argument is that the current B12 media payouts will end and end up less than the AAC's within a few years. Just as with all of the other speculation regarding this development, who knows?

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/amer...-west-virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        Could I be way off base here in thinking that Cunningham caught wind of this and decided that J. Brannen was not the right fit in getting UC off of the kiddies table and was the prime reason into bringing in an up and comer coach from one of the bluest of bloodlines in basketball coaching trees?
        Unlikely JC knew anything about this since it shocked everyone in their own conference and some in SEC. JC simply did what he thought to be best for UC.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I'm not up to date nor have I followed all the politics that have come with all this conference realignment so I admit I'm coming to the conversation unarmed. So it was alluded to earlier that ESPN was probably the or at least a driving forces behind it and that ESPN is biased against UC. So why is that is? The last realignment saw that UC and UConn were left outsides looking in. Then I remember just awhile ago that the big 12 was rumored to be looking to add two teams but then was just a smoke screen or the conference just couldn't get behind the new additions. And then UConn just recently found themselves a new home in an elite conference. So tell me why a Louisville whose history is replete with infractions ( which is a pet peeve of mind) or a West Virginia, TCU or even Xavier a more desired program than UC. I am smart enough to realize that ultimately its the dollars that determines these things so there is that . But I'm also thinking that this newest development in the Big 12 is precipitated by this new NIL allowance. It just cant be coincidence that this is happening on the heels of this newest benefit to this student athlete as I seem more opportunities in the SEC than in the Big 12 for endorsements. I'm seeing these conferences will look at Houston now with their recent success and of course Sampson's name and UC left with holding the bag again.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
            Here's another perspective that promotes the idea that the AAC should poach some of the remaining B12 schools. The argument is that the current B12 media payouts will end and end up less than the AAC's within a few years. Just as with all of the other speculation regarding this development, who knows?

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/amer...-west-virginia
            This is what I was thinking about last night. When the Big 12 media package is renegotiated in 2025, will the remaining schools command more in contract money than what the AAC is currently getting? The AAC deal is signed through 2031. If the answer to that question is no, then there's no reason to jump conferences unless there's a merger.
            Last edited by Lobot; 07-24-2021, 09:58 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The case for the AAC to go on the offensive. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2726815/2021...ig-12-in-flux/
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think as it relates to the B12 leftovers the AAC if approached would be wise to look at adding them to make the conference stronger in both sports particularly given their southwest presence already. That is the one thing in this you can control. I don't see any mass exodus of AAC schools, and i'm certain the leftover B8 are better off with AAC schools from a product/logistics/culture standpoint than the PAC12. Aresco knows the game, and the options. It will be interesting but as i said 5 years ago and still believe you have to focus on controlling what you can.The tv money will likely be there for those state schools.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                  I think as it relates to the B12 leftovers the AAC if approached would be wise to look at adding them to make the conference stronger in both sports particularly given their southwest presence already. That is the one thing in this you can control. I don't see any mass exodus of AAC schools, and i'm certain the leftover B8 are better off with AAC schools from a product/logistics/culture standpoint than the PAC12. Aresco knows the game, and the options. It will be interesting but as i said 5 years ago and still believe you have to focus on controlling what you can.The tv money will likely be there for those state schools.
                  I could see OK State and TX Tech putting out feelers with the P12. Whether there would be mutual interest is questionable. Both schools could offer a road into the Texas recruiting market, but the West Coast schools may not want the additional travel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I could see OK State and TX Tech putting out feelers with the P12. Whether there would be mutual interest is questionable. Both schools could offer a road into the Texas recruiting market, but the West Coast schools may not want the additional travel costs.
                    From a geography standpoint, Stillwater OK is almost as far east as TCU, SMU and Baylor. I could see the PAC 12 pulling 4 from those schools plus Texas Tech. It would probably make the most sense to leave SMU where they are since they're under contract with the AAC and the AAC HQ is in Irving.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The absolute best case scenario for UC is getting into the ACC I have been saying this for many years. I think UC will fit in perfectly in that conference the football program is just as good as the majority in the conference for sure and it will also will be a good match for basketball. I think we are good enough to make the conference better but not scare away the teams that are there thinking we will steal their thunder. I hope this all ends soon one way or another. I think the 4 power conferences of 16 or better is inevitable lets just get it done so we can move on already...... Quite frankly I am sick of UC always being right on the edge and wondering and being at the mercy of these other schools/conferences. GO BEARCATS!!!! Hopefully to the ACC

Comment

As expected, KS contacting B10:

https://www.maizenbrew.com/2021/7/23...ten-conference

Comment

The TX legislature (what there is of it inside the state at the moment) drafted a bill stating that no public uniiversity may change conference affiliation without legislative approval. The three drivers of the bill are from TX A&M, Baylor and TCU.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/texas...ce-realignment

Comment

Here's SI's take on the obvious reason for OU & TX to bolt the B12 (money, of course). But it lays out the timeline that led the two schools to leave.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...texas-got-here

Comment

I think the PAC 12 will take some teams, the Big 10 will take a team and the rest will get scattered across AAC and Conference USA, perhaps.

I just don’t think the Big 12 will be a destination for UC that’s better than the AAC when all is said and done. but could be wrong!

Comment

Per cbssports.com, the B12 brass on Thursday mulled the idea of granting OK & TX an enlarged cut of conference resources, perhaps as much as $56M each. The other eight schools would each take a proportionate cut. Trying to save the ship may be a dying dream.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X