No announcement yet.

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One article stated that the AAC should be proactive and reach out to the remaining schools in the Big 12 and include them in the AAC. I think that will be the most likely of all the scenarious.

Comment

Odds really favor Arch Manning ending up in the SEC now , ha, ha! (he's been looking at Texas, Ole Miss and 'Bama)....Clemson probably a dark horse.

Comment

Apparently, in addition to KS & IA State, OK State have contacted the B10, and there could be mutual interest:

https://gbmwolverine.com/2021/07/24/...talks-big-ten/

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          Apparently, in addition to KS & IA State, OK State have contacted the B10, and there could be mutual interest:

https://gbmwolverine.com/2021/07/24/...talks-big-ten/
          Not buying it. If the Big 10 were looking at the B12 they would be bringing in Texas and OU.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Not buying it. If the Big 10 were looking at the B12 they would be bringing in Texas and OU.
            If they bring anyone from the Big 12 it will be Kansas and Iowa St, since they can't get Texas and OU at this point from the look of it.

Here's why I think so:

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I just can't see Iowa State in the Big10, they aren't big enough and Iowa would probably prefer to keep them out (just like O$U would never let us in). Then again Rutgers & Maryland never made sense either...

I'm still very hopeful we can get into the ACC, I miss our rivalries with Loserville and Pitt and think it would be the best fit... If they can't convince Notre Dame then add WVU with us
              Last edited by Chewbacca2099; 07-25-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                I just can't see Iowa State in the Big10, they aren't big enough and Iowa would probably prefer to keep them out (just like O$U would never let us in). Then again Rutgers & Maryland never made sense either...

I'm still very hopeful we can get into the ACC, I miss our rivalries with Loserville and Pitt and think it would be the best fit... If they can't convince Notre Dame then add WVU with us
                I actually believe that, if IA State applied for membership in the B10, they would be given strong consideration. They are AAU and have collaborated with IL on AI and other computer sciences projects. Plus, IA and IA State already play each other every year in football, basketball and some women's sports. The Cyclones do not have a baseball team, or men's soccer. From what I understand, there is no real animosity between the two schools.

Comment

You have to love the rumors.... tOSU and UM to the SEC Latest conference realignment rumor states SEC in ‘serious contact’ with UM, OSU (yahoo.com)

Comment

I realize this is all about money, and I know that if this shakes out in a way that benefits UC then that's a good thing. But can I just say that from a football perspective, and from a college sports fan, that none of this makes any sense to me?

Does the SEC really need to get any stronger? How does that help the viewing experience for your typical college fan? How does it help the middling teams in that conference, that already have the odds stacked against them? How many rivalries are we going to sacrifice for dollars in the short term?

To me, it's been an absolute shame that we no longer have Georgetown vs. Syracuse in basketball. The classic Big East was a staple of college basketball. Losing UL as our peer has been a huge bummer for me as a fan. Now they're just going to add more teams to this list. No more Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St? No more Texas vs. Texas Tech? (The list goes on and on and on...)

Add to all of this what we're seeing with the NIL deals. Sure, it sounds great that this kids can make some money. But what is that going to do as far as partity? The Alabama QB, who's barely played, is gonna make around a million bucks this year. What's Desmond Ridder looking at? (Last I saw he signed a deal that I think can pay him upwards of 25k) What about Mikey Williams, the high school kid who's projected to pull in a couple of mil?

I don't know, it just feel like we're slowly watching college sports be destroyed. To have no Big 12? To have Pac 10 teams in the Big 10? To have some school's players making 6 and 7 figures while others pail in comparison? I just don't see any any of this working out well for the fans in the long run. I think money is destroying so much of what made college sports great. And sure, it's been building and moving that way for a long, long time. But this year in particular seems like the nail in the coffin.

PS Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. But I just don't like how this is going at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
                      I realize this is all about money, and I know that if this shakes out in a way that benefits UC then that's a good thing. But can I just say that from a football perspective, and from a college sports fan, that none of this makes any sense to me?

Does the SEC really need to get any stronger? How does that help the viewing experience for your typical college fan? How does it help the middling teams in that conference, that already have the odds stacked against them? How many rivalries are we going to sacrifice for dollars in the short term?

To me, it's been an absolute shame that we no longer have Georgetown vs. Syracuse in basketball. The classic Big East was a staple of college basketball. Losing UL as our peer has been a huge bummer for me as a fan. Now they're just going to add more teams to this list. No more Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St? No more Texas vs. Texas Tech? (The list goes on and on and on...)

Add to all of this what we're seeing with the NIL deals. Sure, it sounds great that this kids can make some money. But what is that going to do as far as partity? The Alabama QB, who's barely played, is gonna make around a million bucks this year. What's Desmond Ridder looking at? (Last I saw he signed a deal that I think can pay him upwards of 25k) What about Mikey Williams, the high school kid who's projected to pull in a couple of mil?

I don't know, it just feel like we're slowly watching college sports be destroyed. To have no Big 12? To have Pac 10 teams in the Big 10? To have some school's players making 6 and 7 figures while others pail in comparison? I just don't see any any of this working out well for the fans in the long run. I think money is destroying so much of what made college sports great. And sure, it's been building and moving that way for a long, long time. But this year in particular seems like the nail in the coffin.

PS Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. But I just don't like how this is going at all.
                      Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

If they bring anyone from the Big 12 it will be Kansas and Iowa St, since they can't get Texas and OU at this point from the look of it.

Here's why I think so:

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members
                        Something else Ohio State kept UC out of.

Comment

Conference re-alignment is only about money. ESPN seeks to establish a monopoly in TV revenue and they will have the leverage they need prior to CFP expansion, I believe the “surprise” increase to 12 teams was more by design. Rivalries, even how competitive a particular team is, (hi Rutgers, Maryland) can’t beat the number 1 vice called greed. Political influences keep it all in check. UC will not get called to join the ACC-they don’t bring any money. The P5 will become a P2, B10 and SEC at some point. That way ESPN will have full control and we will
                          continue to see the same teams in the championship each year

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                            Conference re-alignment is only about money. ESPN seeks to establish a monopoly in TV revenue and they will have the leverage they need prior to CFP expansion, I believe the “surprise” increase to 12 teams was more by design. Rivalries, even how competitive a particular team is, (hi Rutgers, Maryland) can’t beat the number 1 vice called greed. Political influences keep it all in check. UC will not get called to join the ACC-they don’t bring any money. The P5 will become a P2, B10 and SEC at some point. That way ESPN will have full control and we will
                            continue to see the same teams in the championship each year
                            I agree. We will not get in the ACC. We just don't move the needle enough. Once the Big 12 dust settles, we will be able to pick up what ever remains of the Big 12 that doesn't go elsewhere. Our conference would get stronger but would still be in that secondary status. I have been outspoken on throwing out teams that don't deserve the AAC like East Carolina and Tulane.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

I agree. We will not get in the ACC. We just don't move the needle enough. Once the Big 12 dust settles, we will be able to pick up what ever remains of the Big 12 that doesn't go elsewhere. Our conference would get stronger but would still be in that secondary status. I have been outspoken on throwing out teams that don't deserve the AAC like East Carolina and Tulane.
                              Of course you could say the big conferences have ceded Ohio to O$U up to this point. Ohio is one of the top states for high school football talent, which may cause some league to take a closer look. Having your games on all the time in Ohio might actually be a desirable move for the ACC. Of course it’s really whatever ESPN wants at this point. Traditional factors like academics or geography no longer matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

To take this even further, I would like to see the Power 5 Conferences get rid of their bottom feeders to make room for schools like UC.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X