Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

To take this even further, I would like to see the Power 5 Conferences get rid of their bottom feeders to make room for schools like UC.
    While I understand why you say this, that would be the demise of those rivalries that make college football so great. Now, for the American, kind of makes sense as there’s not as much history. I think UC & Tulane have some history, ECU and Temple can go.

Comment

For the most part it doesn't seem like rivalries, or geography, matter anymore just money.
      Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 07-25-2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

It is kind of funny that the remaining 8 teams of the Big 12 are just like UC, Houston, SMU, Memphis..... The only difference is that they were part of the Power 5. They do not add value to any other conference except for the AAC and Conference USA. Kansas is one of the worst football teams in the country. There fate will be the same as the remnants of the old Big East. UC does add the fertile recruiting grounds of Ohio, they have a large TV market, and they have a better football team and basketball team than most of the remaining Big 12.

Comment

I would love to see UC in the ACC but probably not going to happen. President Pinto did spend some time in Louisville and may be able to lobby but I doubt it will help. Second choice is B1G but that isn't going to happen either. TO$U won't allow it. Best we can hope for is to pick up some teams from the Big 12 when it dissolves and lobby for AAC to be the newest Power 5 conference.

Comment

Good synopsis of the situation from a UC perspective. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2729547/2021...t-rides-again/
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

One thing not to be forgotten in this discussion is the plan Mike Aresco put in place and how well our conference has met or exceeded that plan. TV revenue is all about eyeballs. Mike promoted the AAC as P-6 because of on-the-field metrics. Sustained on-the-field success is the only way to gather more casual or hardcore fans who are not alum or affiliated with on of the AAC member institutions. TV money helps the school achieve on-the-field success by building better facilities, having higher budget for assistants, recruitng travel budget, and most importantly higher coaching salary to afford to keep the hot up and coming coaches like Luke. The priority lists for UC and the rest of the AAC is win all non-conference FB games, have a team go undefeated to qualify for biggest Bowl game possible or CFP if all lined up, fill our stadiums to capacity, and attract viewers. I recall both watching and rooting for some of those Boise St and BYU underdog Bowl victories because everyone likes an underdog. Add in that the top teams are very polarizing, you either love or hate them, just like the Yankees. We can grow a product that garners increased tv revenue and that should be the goal. That said, if the Big 12 offers invites, and teams only get a slice of that big-time money for a couple of years, I say we take it. Worst case, it may dissolve the existing AAC contract that underpays for a quality product and runs through 2031, plus in 2025 whatever the Big 12 composition is with a few AAC teams, it will get a tv contract bigger than current AAC.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
                I realize this is all about money, and I know that if this shakes out in a way that benefits UC then that's a good thing. But can I just say that from a football perspective, and from a college sports fan, that none of this makes any sense to me?

Does the SEC really need to get any stronger? How does that help the viewing experience for your typical college fan? How does it help the middling teams in that conference, that already have the odds stacked against them? How many rivalries are we going to sacrifice for dollars in the short term?

To me, it's been an absolute shame that we no longer have Georgetown vs. Syracuse in basketball. The classic Big East was a staple of college basketball. Losing UL as our peer has been a huge bummer for me as a fan. Now they're just going to add more teams to this list. No more Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma St? No more Texas vs. Texas Tech? (The list goes on and on and on...)

Add to all of this what we're seeing with the NIL deals. Sure, it sounds great that this kids can make some money. But what is that going to do as far as partity? The Alabama QB, who's barely played, is gonna make around a million bucks this year. What's Desmond Ridder looking at? (Last I saw he signed a deal that I think can pay him upwards of 25k) What about Mikey Williams, the high school kid who's projected to pull in a couple of mil?

I don't know, it just feel like we're slowly watching college sports be destroyed. To have no Big 12? To have Pac 10 teams in the Big 10? To have some school's players making 6 and 7 figures while others pail in comparison? I just don't see any any of this working out well for the fans in the long run. I think money is destroying so much of what made college sports great. And sure, it's been building and moving that way for a long, long time. But this year in particular seems like the nail in the coffin.

PS Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite. But I just don't like how this is going at all.
                It sure seems like there is some bigger end-goal with this move, doesn't it? This wasn't exactly an impromptu request by OU/UT to the SEC. ESPN was influencing and coordinating discussion for months before the news breaking. No doubt they have a long-term plan for college football.

Comment

UT and OU issue joint statement:

The University of Oklahoma and The University of Texas at Austin notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025. Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conference’s current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post

It sure seems like there is some bigger end-goal with this move, doesn't it? This wasn't exactly an impromptu request by OU/UT to the SEC. ESPN was influencing and coordinating discussion for months before the news breaking. No doubt they have a long-term plan for college football.
                    Kind of begs the question at what point does FOX and CBS or even the Big 12 file a lawsuit regarding ESPN’s tampering?
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Kind of begs the question at what point does FOX and CBS or even the Big 12 file a lawsuit regarding ESPN’s tampering?
                      Apply this line of thinking to the NFL.

Imagine if CBS worked with the AFC to get the best teams from the biggest markets from the NFC to move into the AFC so they'd be on CBS and not FOX.

Comment

• Originally posted by bobestes View Post

Apply this line of thinking to the NFL.

Imagine if CBS worked with the AFC to get the best teams from the biggest markets from the NFC to move into the AFC so they'd be on CBS and not FOX.
                        This is where I get ask the attorneys on the board if ESPN has committed tortious interference here. I'm not sure I completely understand the term but seems like this might quailfy.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• And there it is from the B1G,

Adam Rittenberg

Heard today from several people that B1G only would be interested in adding schools from the AAU (Nebraska no longer, but was when it joined league). Texas is AAU member, along with Pac-12 schools like Cal, Washington, Colorado, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford. Oklahoma is not AAU.

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

And there it is from the B1G,

Adam Rittenberg

Heard today from several people that B1G only would be interested in adding schools from the AAU (Nebraska no longer, but was when it joined league). Texas is AAU member, along with Pac-12 schools like Cal, Washington, Colorado, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford. Oklahoma is not AAU.

If OU told the B!G they'd listen to offers along with Texass in a package deal, the B!G would ignore OU's AAU status because there is precedent since Nebraska has dropped AAU. Oh boy, could there really be two conferences getting into a bidding war for these two powerhouse football programs?
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

And there it is from the B1G,

Adam Rittenberg

IA State & KS are both AAU.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

If OU told the B!G they'd listen to offers along with Texass in a package deal, the B!G would ignore OU's AAU status because there is precedent since Nebraska has dropped AAU. Oh boy, could there really be two conferences getting into a bidding war for these two powerhouse football programs?
                                Nebraska did not drop AAU. They were kicked to the curb by the other members for not fulfilling their obligations.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X