Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Oklahoma and Texas have formally requested invitations to join the SEC in 2025
    I was surprised to see the request was to join July 1, 2025. That is ballsy. I can envision OU and Texass saying, "We will not give back any tv revenue because we'll stay in conference until the GoR expires. If you don't like it, come beat us on the field." Add in the earlier info that the 8 remaining schools only have as many people watching as AAC games and it's going to mean that the next Big 12 tv contract will be drastically reduced. With this in mind, should the Big 12 extend invites to join that begin in 2025, I think we would have to respectfully decline. There will end up being four super conferences and the Big 12 will not be one of them.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I was surprised to see the request was to join July 1, 2025. That is ballsy. I can envision OU and Texass saying, "We will not give back any tv revenue because we'll stay in conference until the GoR expires. If you don't like it, come beat us on the field." Add in the earlier info that the 8 remaining schools only have as many people watching as AAC games and it's going to mean that the next Big 12 tv contract will be drastically reduced. With this in mind, should the Big 12 extend invites to join that begin in 2025, I think we would have to respectfully decline. There will end up being four super conferences and the Big 12 will not be one of them.
      I read that this is all just for appearances. This way Texas and OU can claim as that they tried to fufill their contract obigations and acted in good faith. In the meantime, they're either going to hope that league folds completely, which lets them off scott free, or they'll work towards a settlement amount.

The rumors I have heard today is that the SEC is already working on scheduling that includes Texas and Oklahoma for next season. Apparently the Longhorn Network and ESPN play a factor in this as well; somehow these two schools will have their financial burden of any settlement due offset by this. (Maybe ESPN pays them a bunch of money to end the Longhorn contract early?)

Comment

• Originally posted by MDW79 View Post

I read that this is all just for appearances. This way Texas and OU can claim as that they tried to fufill their contract obigations and acted in good faith. In the meantime, they're either going to hope that league folds completely, which lets them off scott free, or they'll work towards a settlement amount.

The rumors I have heard today is that the SEC is already working on scheduling that includes Texas and Oklahoma for next season. Apparently the Longhorn Network and ESPN play a factor in this as well; somehow these two schools will have their financial burden of any settlement due offset by this. (Maybe ESPN pays them a bunch of money to end the Longhorn contract early?)
        This. It'll happen next year. Texas and OU(?) will buy out the Big 12 deals with the money that ESPN owes Texas for the Longhorn Network. I think that number is $135M. This makes everyone happy and LHN ceases to be a ginormous cash drain on Disney.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Big 12 discussed UC, BYU, and Houston last week.

https://t.co/qK7dK5zHnR

Comment

• So I saw a rumor on BearcatJournal that Big 12 is looking to add UC, Houston, Memphis and BYU and could extend offers by the end of next week. I've seen a few other things around the internet that seem to support this, or at least similar version of it. Obviously, even if this is true, there are million things that could change regardless of whether they offer or not.

Anyways, I spent some time perusing some of the Big 12 boards to see what they were saying about it. One thing in particular kept catching my attention. It seems a lot of people think if this were to play out this would make the Big 12 the lowest level P5 by a long shot. I don't quite understand this. Why would the Pac 12 be regarded as a step above? I know losing Texas and Oklahoma hurts, but the Pac 12 is the worst P5 by a country mile. And I'm not sure switching out OU and Texas for UC, UH, UM, and BYU changes that.

Can someone explain this to me? Why would the Pac 12 be regarded as better? In what way? And whydo people assume their TV deal would be greater? Their conference presents all sort of ratings and attendance problems in addition to them just not being that good.

Also, this is before we even get to the basketball side of things. I understand football drives this, but basketball is still worth something. The Big 12 would arguably be a stronger basketball conference with these 4 teams than they were with the 2 they are losing. And as good as UCLA was last year, that conference is not even remotely close in talent. The Big 12 could be an 8 bid league in good years. Had these teams been paired up last year, they would have had 6 bids and two final four teams.

Am I crazy, or would the newly formed Big 12 be every bit as good as the Pac 12 in football, and much better in basketball? I thought it was widely known now that the Pac 12 as a conference kinda sucks, but it seems like they're getting the benefit of the doubt here.

Comment

• We filled in the BE when BC left. That didn’t work out very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                Big 12 discussed UC, BYU, and Houston last week.

https://t.co/qK7dK5zHnR
                I would be cautious in joining them. I have ZERO confidence that if we joined the Big 12 next week that the conference would look the same by the time we started playing games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

I would be cautious in joining them. I have ZERO confidence that if we joined the Big 12 next week that the conference would look the same by the time we started playing games.
                  I agree. But there still are some good schools and programs with whatever is left once the B12 folds. Merge with those remaining to form a new B12 or AAC and make the best of it.

Comment

• I'm thinking that the AAC with the additions of TCU, Texas Tech, BYU, and Baylor would make a rather formable football and basketball conference, one that has the potential to generate a larger revenue stream than what is presently in place with the AAC. If West Virginia wanted to come along as well all the better, but I get the feeling that their ego wouldn't allow it and so rather gamble on an invite to the AAC.

Comment

• Here's a piece by Stuart Mandel of the Athletic ($) that addresses mostly the P12 in the next wave of realignment. P12 brass do not see any of the 8 remaining B12 schools as viable candidates. There is some feeling that the ACC may try to raid the P12. Seems like a long shot at best.

https://theathletic.com/2734693/2021...e&redirected=1

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I agree. But there still are some good schools and programs with whatever is left once the B12 folds. Merge with those remaining to form a new B12 or AAC and make the best of it.
                        Yes. I would wait until the dust settles to see what is left in the Big 12. Grab what is left and either call it the AAC or the Big 12. Big 12 is a more recognizable brand name but there wouldn't be enough left of it to make sense calling it that. Kind of like when the Big East fell apart. It made sense to sell the name because I think all that was left was USF, UC and Uconn by the time it was over.

Comment

• If that were to happen ( the AAC taking in some remnants of the big 12) I would hope that a new conference name be given it. Every one would constantly be reminded that the big 12 was not really that big and the AAC had not really increased in "power" in comparison to the p4 remaining conferences. It would need a name that would make a statement of sorts, as two of the schools just recently made it to the final four with one winning the national championship in bball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                            If that were to happen ( the AAC taking in some remnants of the big 12) I would hope that a new conference name be given it. Every one would constantly be reminded that the big 12 was not really that big and the AAC had not really increased in "power" in comparison to the p4 remaining conferences. It would need a name that would make a statement of sorts, as two of the schools just recently made it to the final four with one winning the national championship in bball.
                            I agree. It might be time for a rebranding if this happens. The Big 12 would be regarded as the conference that wasn't good enough and the American never seemed to take off as a name. I never liked the acronym AAC. It is too similar to ACC.

Comment

• Some G5 focus from Chris Vannini at the the Athletic ($)

https://theathletic.com/2734930/2021...r-each-league/
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X