No announcement yet.

Question For Mods (Basketball Related)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Mods (Basketball Related)

Do you have traffic numbers for the site, and/or the basketball forum specifically? The reason I ask is I'm just curious what they look like now vs. say 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. Basically, is the interest this season any greater or less than any of those years?

I figure web traffic is recession proof, and many of the reasons attendance can fluctuate aren't applicable here. It kind of seems like it's a lot slower around here, but that may just be because the site was cleaned up (People booted) and there's currently less polarizing topics to discuss (Huggs, CBA Tourney, John Reik = NC)

So any numbers/thoughts? Does anyone check the "Currently viewing" or "Members online" numbers? Are they hard to judge because it's the site as a whole, and football affects everything as well, and there's no way to separate them? Do you think there is anyway member activity on this site dictates some amount of the interest in the program?

Honestly, I'm not hearing as much talk about UC basketball outside of this forum as I thought I would after last season. And within this forum, there does seem to be a fraction of the activity there used to be. If that's true hopefully that will change now that we're in BE play. I gotta think a win vs St. Johns on Saturday would get very close to being ranked, if we're not already. With the NFL season winding down, league play and a top 25 ranking, I would hope this team would start to generate a lot of local buzz.
    Last edited by MDW79; 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM.

Fairly curious myself. I have thought it was more quiet than it should be in here. Also ticks me off that more is being said about XU and the hooligans over there versus our turn around since that game.

Comment

Originally posted by MDW79 View Post
      Do you have traffic numbers for the site, and/or the basketball forum specifically? The reason I ask is I'm just curious what they look like now vs. say 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, etc. Basically, is the interest this season any greater or less than any of those years?

I figure web traffic is recession proof, and many of the reasons attendance can fluctuate aren't applicable here. It kind of seems like it's a lot slower around here, but that may just be because the site was cleaned up (People booted) and there's currently less polarizing topics to discuss (Huggs, CBA Tourney, John Reik = NC)

So any numbers/thoughts? Does anyone check the "Currently viewing" or "Members online" numbers? Are they hard to judge because it's the site as a whole, and football affects everything as well, and there's no way to separate them? Do you think there is anyway member activity on this site dictates some amount of the interest in the program?

Honestly, I'm not hearing as much talk about UC basketball outside of this forum as I thought I would after last season. And within this forum, there does seem to be a fraction of the activity there used to be. If that's true hopefully that will change now that we're in BE play. I gotta think a win vs St. Johns on Saturday would get very close to being ranked, if we're not already. With the NFL season winding down, league play and a top 25 ranking, I would hope this team would start to generate a lot of local buzz.
      IMO this is a great question and would like to see some thoughts on this. I'll add my 2 cents:

-First, IMO, interest in college hoops in general always seems to pick up after the Bengals season is over with the Shootout being the one notable exception. Obviously, with the Bengals in the playoffs (WHO DEY!!!!!!) they still capture a lot of the focus in town.

-The OOC was a factor. While I am of the opinion that you should root for YOUR team I completely understand that some simply aren't going to get to moved when UC is playing Chicago State or Radford.

-As for the board, message boards in general tend to find more traffic when there is something to bitch about. Up until the NCAA last year, there was the whole keep Mick, fire Mick debate lighting this place up. Now, it is abundantly clear that Mick is and will be the UC coach long into future as it should be. The fire Mick brigade quite possibly understands this and has gone off to fight some other fight be it voluntarily or at the hands of some of the mods.

Having said all that, I was very encouraged by getting almost 11k in 5/3 last night and truly beleive that the interest and conversation regarding UC hoops will be there as we continue to go throught the BE schedule and beyond!

Comment

As a moderator, I have noticed that traffic here is way down lately. I do not have statistics or hard data to support my belief, just my observations. I was pretty hard on Cronin and the team earlier this season. And I admit I am still not entirely convinced, but they have made significant improvements in many areas following the Crosstown Shootout. I give Cronin, his staff and the players their due. They have worked very hard to improve and it seems their labor is yielding positive results.

Comment

Bearcatnews use to be THE place to go for UC sports. Now there are more message boards that people go to. I dont really think it is better but I use to be on BCN all the time. Now I check 3 or 4 others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
            Bearcatnews use to be THE place to go for UC sports. Now there are more message boards that people go to. I dont really think it is better but I use to be on BCN all the time. Now I check 3 or 4 others as well.
            Fwiw, bearcattalk seems like it has less activity than before too. Ncabbs has been around for quite awhile, so that shouldnt change much from year to year.

Comment

Personally? BCN needs to be completely overhauled and updated from a presentation standpoint. An app for an iPad or iPhone may also help get it up to date.

I know a lot of the people who hated Mick have been gone since they had to eat crow last year and now that the Enquirer is requiring a Facebook account and real names to be posted in order to comment on something it has cut that way back as well with mostly PROGRAM supporters commenting and the occasional Fire Mick clown throwing in their two cents which now gets quickly dismissed.
              Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

While traffic may have decreased in quantity, I think it has increased in quality for the most part.
                In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by OCASCM07 View Post
                  Personally? BCN needs to be completely overhauled and updated from a presentation standpoint. An app for an iPad or iPhone may also help get it up to date.
                  I do agree that a smartphone app would be useful. I am IT challenged, so I would not even know where to begin to develop such a product.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                    I do agree that a smartphone app would be useful. I am IT challenged, so I would not even know where to begin to develop such a product.
                    I suggest looking into tapatalk. Not sure exactly what it is since I am not a smartphoner, but I think it is what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by BearCatMarcher View Post
                      I suggest looking into tapatalk. Not sure exactly what it is since I am not a smartphoner, but I think it is what you are looking for.
                      Just looked into that tapatalk - and didn't download it because it costs $2.99... not that I'm a cheapskate or anything, I'm not big on spending money on the apps for my phone (so I guess maybe I am a cheapskate ). I did find a free one called Forum Runner... not sure if it'll work or not, but I'll give it a shot. I'm also technically challenged just enough to not quite understand this stuff on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                        I'd like to help out but I think my buddies four year old knows how to run my iPad almost as good as I do.
                        Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

fwiw, here's traffic data from compete http://siteanalytics.compete.com/bearcatnews.com/
                          down 29% for the last year. compete isn't completely accurate, but it's a good starting point
                          Volt for Holt!

Comment

I remember when BCN was the best site for UC basketball recruiting, after "Mike in Clifton" left the site went down tremendously, to be honest this is one of the first times I have checked this site since the summer. Bearcattalk is run by thegreatone so you know that'll suck, however the recruiting section is pretty decent. Bearcat Banter is the best and has been since I started following UC...it was great during the C-USA days.

Comment

Brett would have the hard data. One thing I've noticed is the post count seems to be down in the basketball forum but the memberships and active membership have gone up considerably I think mostly during football season. So I think what we have are a lot of new members that aren't talking basketball yet.

Add to that the amount of posts created by arguments from members who were punted off the board and I can see why you'd say it's a little slow.

The other culprit is Twitter. I personally find myself on Twitter as much as I'm on here and that's where a lot info I post here comes from.
                              Last edited by Lobot; 01-05-2012, 08:53 PM.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X