Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback for moving threads and posts

Originally posted by jkwuc89
    I moved all of the Huggins vs. Cronin debate related posts to the "Debate Huggins" thread on the "Where are they now" forum. Let's try to keep this thread focused on the game.

Keith, can't we for the one week we play him allow a thread to stay a thread? All of the Cronin vs huggins debate is approriate THIS Week (at least till Wednesday after the game.
    [B]"Is she gone yet?? [B]

Originally posted by jkwuc89
    I moved all of the Huggins vs. Cronin debate related posts to the "Debate Huggins" thread on the "Where are they now" forum. Let's try to keep this thread focused on the game.

If you want to talk about how the coaches may try to scheme against each other for this game, talk about that here.
    If you want to debate who is the better coach, go to the "Debate Huggins" thread.
    Respectfully, I disagree. You left several Ralph1950 posts on that subject right here in this thread. Like referees, I'd hope for consistency across the board.

Comment

If you want to critique the moderation being done, please post on the Feedback forum. If you have particular questions about particular threads and/or posts, include links to these in your feedback post.

FYI...
      Do you know how many threads and posts I must go through each day to maintain some level of moderation consistency? I do the best I can with the spare time I have. I may miss a few here and there but I do get most of them.
      Keith Wedinger
      Bearcatnews.com Administrator
      Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
        If you want to critique the moderation being done, please post on the Feedback forum. If you have particular questions about particular threads and/or posts, include links to these in your feedback post.

FYI...
        Do you know how many threads and posts I must go through each day to maintain some level of moderation consistency? I do the best I can with the spare time I have. I may miss a few here and there but I do get most of them.
        I think the whole idea of "thread" is that a "thread" follows the thought process of the posters, it goes in the direction that the posters send it... not in the direction that one or two poeple direct it. Massage board threads are for conversations, I just don't understand why they need to be moved, if someone doesn't "like it" they don't have to read it right?

also, as you stated, it's difficult "equal" due to the multitude of posts to keep up with. I think you create more work for yourself by trying to dictate where threads should go.... Why not let the conversations go where they want, and like a simple economy "supply and demand: will determine the longevity/participation of said thread. Bad threads die, they shouldn't need to be "Managed"

You know, I am in the interenet business, and am on numerous message boards, and I KNOW BCN wants to be "unique" BUT, I have never been on a message board that handled things like things are handled here, not even close. I don't see threads getting moved all the time etc etc etc...

(I'm i in the right place for this comment?)
        Last edited by Catmandu; 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM. Reason: had more good points that I didn't want to leave out.

Comment

I agree with what you said, for the most part. I do think having 3 threads on Huggs is rediculous, but trying to stay on topic in a thread is boring.

Comment

Honestly I think we stay on topic pretty well compared to when this was an email only list.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Honestly I think we stay on topic pretty well compared to when this was an email only list.
              LOL... that's because it was ONE LOOOOOOOONG thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Catmandu View Post
                I think the whole idea of "thread" is that a "thread" follows the thought process of the posters, it goes in the direction that the posters send it... not in the direction that one or two poeple direct it. Massage board threads are for conversations, I just don't understand why they need to be moved, if someone doesn't "like it" they don't have to read it right?

also, as you stated, it's difficult "equal" due to the multitude of posts to keep up with. I think you create more work for yourself by trying to dictate where threads should go.... Why not let the conversations go where they want, and like a simple economy "supply and demand: will determine the longevity/participation of said thread. Bad threads die, they shouldn't need to be "Managed"

You know, I am in the interenet business, and am on numerous message boards, and I KNOW BCN wants to be "unique" BUT, I have never been on a message board that handled things like things are handled here, not even close. I don't see threads getting moved all the time etc etc etc...

(I'm i in the right place for this comment?)
                Impossible to stay narrowly on one topic. Message boards ebb and flow.

Comment

I find myself visiting this board less and less due to the over moderation. I understand how hard it is to keep the peace here, but at the same time, I feel like I can't post because in some way I am going to offend a moderator or another user who believes no discussion of bad moves by Cronin or the administration should be allowed...

This site was the place I started following UC on the internet (well, here and the uc.bearcats newsgroup when the emails were all copied over there). The email forum was the only place I posted about UC for years. Now I post over on other sites much more often because they allow for a much more broad discussion of UC. I'm not saying I don't get annoyed at people who want to live in the past, and constantly rehash the whole 2005 incident, but at the same time I like to be able to fully discuss UC athletics and the school in general.

Hopefully the moderators will change up their current standards, as I think they are way too strict.

One other thing... I also know of a lot of people who have left here because of the over moderation. Some, like Don, left because they wanted to talk up Huggins and rip on everyone else. Others, like oleskl, left because he just thought the moderation here was way over the top. Over moderation can run off some of the best and most informed UC fans.

Comment

Originally posted by mlb View Post
                    I find myself visiting this board less and less due to the over moderation. I understand how hard it is to keep the peace here, but at the same time, I feel like I can't post because in some way I am going to offend a moderator or another user who believes no discussion of bad moves by Cronin or the administration should be allowed...

This site was the place I started following UC on the internet (well, here and the uc.bearcats newsgroup when the emails were all copied over there). The email forum was the only place I posted about UC for years. Now I post over on other sites much more often because they allow for a much more broad discussion of UC. I'm not saying I don't get annoyed at people who want to live in the past, and constantly rehash the whole 2005 incident, but at the same time I like to be able to fully discuss UC athletics and the school in general.

Hopefully the moderators will change up their current standards, as I think they are way too strict.

One other thing... I also know of a lot of people who have left here because of the over moderation. Some, like Don, left because they wanted to talk up Huggins and rip on everyone else. Others, like oleskl, left because he just thought the moderation here was way over the top. Over moderation can run off some of the best and most informed UC fans.
                    Excellent comments. I'll add one. This forum belongs to Keith, Mike, and Brett - not any of us who post here. It's theirs to moderate (or not) as they choose. They pay for it, either with $ or countless hours of donated time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Fan Since 1958 View Post
                      Excellent comments. I'll add one. This forum belongs to Keith, Mike, and Brett - not any of us who post here. It's theirs to moderate (or not) as they choose. They pay for it, either with $ or countless hours of donated time.
                      Exactly, if they decide to ban everyone and use it for just them three, they have the right. Like 1958 said, they pay the money and do all the hard work so all of us can enjoy it.

Keep up the good work!
                      -SlM-

Comment

Thanks for the support! I have been reading the comments on this thread and as a result, I've tried to ease up a bit on the moderation.
                        Keith Wedinger

Comment

Originally posted by mlb View Post

I understand your thoughts and respect them, but I can say that there are also some on this board that are tired of the same bantering about the administration, Huggs, etc. Nothing new gets brought up. There are one or two that constantly knock Huggs with the same points, and then some feel that rather than just ignoring it, they take it as their personal responsiblity to respond and protect the image of Huggs.

I personnally can see how an administrator can get tired of it. They have tried to make areas or threads in the general section to allow this debate but when the same arguments get brought up in the majority of threads, it really gets old.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Last edited by ME80; 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

ME80:

You hit the nail squarely on the head. Most of my moderation efforts have been focused exactly on the topics you mention. We (the admins) realized the following:

1. Some forum members still wanted to talk about and debate Huggins and the administration
                            2. Even more forum members wanted to avoid these topics
                            3. The e-mail forum format simply could not be controlled to allow a separation of topics. It also did not allow us to prevent content from being pushed to every e-mail subscriber.

So, we went with bulletin board format. It allows us to better control what topics go where. It also allows us to control actual content.

We try not to be too heavy handed with our moderation. And we will make decisions that some forum members will not agree with.

At the end of the day, we still think our board is better than most. Plus, it is still free for our members.
                            Keith Wedinger

Comment

Ever thought of adding the newer features of vbulletin (chat, social groups, blogs, etc) ??

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X