Overmoderation, again.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overmoderation, again.

The thread about the Reds was closed because it's not a UC discussion. I take issue with this for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it was labeled as an off-topic, as are many other (open) discussions on this message board. Secondly, though the Reds are not the Bearcats, they are a Cincinnati team, and are therefore relevant to the interests of the majority of people that frequent these boards. Yes, it's off-topic, but it's nice to have a sports conversation with other sports fans, even if said sports aren't really related to UC, especially within an established community. Closing a thread that garners little or no interest from this community (a thread about, say, the Baltimore Orioles or something) is one thing, but, like it or not, the Reds are part of the Cincinnati community, and I don't see why a Cincinnati-related message board should be barred from discussing them, especially in a thread clearly labeled off-topic. I understand that you don't want a flood of OT threads, but, on the other hand, there's very little to talk about in the way of major university sports right now, and this really is a perfect place to have a nice baseball conversation that, though not directly related to the theme of the message board, does have a significant impact on its community.

I agree 100%. People shouldn't have to visit 10 boards to talk to sports fans in one city.
    Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by iamspen View Post
      The thread about the Reds was closed because it's not a UC discussion. I take issue with this for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it was labeled as an off-topic, as are many other (open) discussions on this message board. Secondly, though the Reds are not the Bearcats, they are a Cincinnati team, and are therefore relevant to the interests of the majority of people that frequent these boards. Yes, it's off-topic, but it's nice to have a sports conversation with other sports fans, even if said sports aren't really related to UC, especially within an established community. Closing a thread that garners little or no interest from this community (a thread about, say, the Baltimore Orioles or something) is one thing, but, like it or not, the Reds are part of the Cincinnati community, and I don't see why a Cincinnati-related message board should be barred from discussing them, especially in a thread clearly labeled off-topic. I understand that you don't want a flood of OT threads, but, on the other hand, there's very little to talk about in the way of major university sports right now, and this really is a perfect place to have a nice baseball conversation that, though not directly related to the theme of the message board, does have a significant impact on its community.
      OH for G-d's sake - stop already - if you don't like the way this board is moderated go someplace else - start your own - stop crying about it. If there isn't much going on about UC sports stop writing - do something else. This is not a catch all it's spring let's talk about the Reds board. Give it a rest - years ago you had maybe 50 (I don't know the exact number that's just a guess) posts a month in April-August. Days would pass and there wouldn't be a single post. Not a soul complained and nobody posted about the Reds, the Bengals or Cincinnati State. Enough with the moderation complaints!

Comment

It's all in how you write it up.

How about that Cueto. Great job! Only 1 hit in 7 innings!

I wonder if he ever wanted to play baseball for UC? (now it is on topic! haha)

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
          OH for G-d's sake - stop already - if you don't like the way this board is moderated go someplace else - start your own - stop crying about it. If there isn't much going on about UC sports stop writing - do something else. This is not a catch all it's spring let's talk about the Reds board. Give it a rest - years ago you had maybe 50 (I don't know the exact number that's just a guess) posts a month in April-August. Days would pass and there wouldn't be a single post. Not a soul complained and nobody posted about the Reds, the Bengals or Cincinnati State. Enough with the moderation complaints!
          I agree, good post. There are other boards out there if you want to discuss everything Cincinnati. This one is for UC sports.
          -SlM-

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
            OH for G-d's sake - stop already - if you don't like the way this board is moderated go someplace else - start your own - stop crying about it.
            Or how about I like this board and this community, and would like to foster intelligent discussion here? And you know damn well starting my own message board would is a ridiculous notion. I know next to nothing about coding, and I don't care to learn simply because some dick on this board doesn't like when people complain (which, by the way, is the entire point of the Feedback forum). Thanks, but try again.

If there isn't much going on about UC sports stop writing - do something else.
            That's just an asinine statement. BearcatNews is a message board. There ought to be messages on it, otherwise traffic goes down, and that's bad for the community.

This is not a catch all it's spring let's talk about the Reds board. Give it a rest - years ago you had maybe 50 (I don't know the exact number that's just a guess) posts a month in April-August. Days would pass and there wouldn't be a single post. Not a soul complained and nobody posted about the Reds, the Bengals or Cincinnati State. Enough with the moderation complaints!
            So? This isn't years ago. This is 2008. And nobody's complaining about the decrease in traffic. What I am complaining about is a perceived abuse of power by the (usually fantastic) moderators. If you don't like it, that's fine with me, you don't have to comment on it. ****, you didn't even have to read this thread.

Why be a jerk when I'm doing what I can to improve the quality of this community? BearcatNews is a fantastic forum, but there are ways to make it enjoyable. After all, you yourself said April-August is a down time.

Comment

Originally posted by jon b View Post
              It's all in how you write it up.

How about that Cueto. Great job! Only 1 hit in 7 innings!

I wonder if he ever wanted to play baseball for UC? (now it is on topic! haha)
              Now thats funny!!!

I promise I wont start OT threads, but I prob. will respond to them, but I also won't bitch when the Men behind the curtain take them down.
              Intimidate, Dominate, Celebrate!!!

Comment

I don't feel that I'm bitching, merely commenting on what I think the nature of the board should be. I appreciate everything TPTB here have done, this is a great community. I'd like it to continue to grow, that's all.

Comment

I don't feel that I'm bitching, merely commenting on what I think the nature of the board should be. I appreciate everything TPTB here have done, this is a great community. I'd like it to continue to grow, that's all.
                  Man, sorry...that probably came accross wrong. Didn't mean to say that anyone was bitching, just meant that I was indifferent...

Comment

lol no, I didn't take offense. The tone of your post wasn't offensive at all, so I got the message that was relayed.

Comment

lol no, I didn't take offense. The tone of your post wasn't offensive at all, so I got the message that was relayed.
                      Golden....and I agree the bigger community the better...Go Cats!

Comment

"BearcatNews is a message board. There ought to be messages on it, otherwise traffic goes down, and that's bad for the community."
                        I thought I put it in my reply in this thread, but I guess not.

Part of the reason also that non UC posts are locked down sometimes is because of the number of people doing the moderation. Its just Keith and I and if we open up the board to more posts, we have to spend more time moderating more threads for more knuckleheads. We just don't have the time. Bigger does not equal better. Bigger equals bigger.

Yes, I know we could get more folks to do moderation, but we aren't choosing that path right now.

And frankly - jon b's post was on topic, as lame of an attempt that it was . . .it was on topic!

"and I don't see why a Cincinnati-related message board should be barred from discussing them. . . "
                        - Its not a Cincinnati related message board. Its a University of Cincinnati related message board.

"People shouldn't have to visit 10 boards to talk to sports fans in one city."
                        - I'm not sure how it automatically becomes the job of BearcatNews.com to then provide the solution to this problem.

Also, spen - the long term members of BearcatNews.com have great respect for Richard K. But I'm confident you were unaware of that. Yes, Richard could have been nicer in his statement, but he is frustrated and we've known him for over 10 years and have had a pre-game lunch/dinner with him a few times so he gets a little more slack than most.

I wish I had a nicer phrase than this, but I dont:
                        Its not a democracy, its a dictatorship.

Thanks again for the feedback. We don't promise to change, but we promise to listen which is more than your local big box store may do for you.
                        Mike In Clifton

No sarcasm on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeInClifton View Post
                          Part of the reason also that non UC posts are locked down sometimes is because of the number of people doing the moderation. Its just Keith and I and if we open up the board to more posts, we have to spend more time moderating more threads for more knuckleheads. We just don't have the time. Bigger does not equal better. Bigger equals bigger.
                          And I understand that. I just thought an off-topic that directly affects a large part of the community would be permitted, especially when other topics are allowed that don't really have a bearing on the UC community.

- Its not a Cincinnati related message board. Its a University of Cincinnati related message board.
                          Which is why a Cincinnati-related topic relates to this community.

- I'm not sure how it automatically becomes the job of BearcatNews.com to then provide the solution to this problem.
                          It doesn't. But it'd be nice if a bit of slack was cut during the slow period between basketball and football seasons.

Also, spen - the long term members of BearcatNews.com have great respect for Richard K.
                          Doesn't mean I should be chided and berated by him just because I voice a concern about my favorite message board. I don't appreciate being branded an ungrateful jerk when I'm merely trying make this community more of a community.

Yes, Richard could have been nicer in his statement, but he is frustrated and we've known him for over 10 years and have had a pre-game lunch/dinner with him a few times so he gets a little more slack than most.
                          You don't have to defend him. I'm not asking for him to be banned or suspended or anything. Frankly, I think he has every right to say what he did. I'm not sure what relevance his status has on this discussion, or even his statements. I really don't care how long he's been here, because, even though I don't expect the mods to step in on my behalf (or his), I'm not going to put up with being cast as some sort of enemy of the board.

I wish I had a nicer phrase than this, but I dont:
                          Its not a democracy, its a dictatorship.
                          Yeah, but it's nice that you'll take the time to listen to complaints. A lot of boards won't even do that.

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I promise I actually do like the way things are run around here, despite popular opinion.

Comment

Thanks spen ! much appreciated
                            Mike In Clifton

No sarcasm on the internet.

Comment

You can do a board anyway you want, and run it how you want. I do know that when another Xavier board came online (by a buddy of mine), the masses flocked to it from the other one because of overmoderation, lack of freedom to post topics, etc.
                              The board is great, but then.......so was the phone company before competition.

I'd like to see a general forum on local cincy topics. For those who don't want to read it.....simple, just avoid that forum/thread. There are dead spots (many) during the year, and the members are trying to tell you that they would like to continue coming here.
                              Take it FWIW.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X