Bowls 20-21

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lobot
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007
    • 28315

    #1

    Bowls 20-21

    We have some new Bowl tie-ins, some bowls changing names and some predictions. if we play the season which it looks like we will.

    First off, The Myrtle Beach Bowl is a new bowl in the American lineup according to FBSchedules.com. Not sure on the details but it's played at Coastal Carolina's stadium on aqua turf. Time and Date TBA. ESPN owns this one. Do not go to myrtlebeachbowl.com, as it is a bowling alley. (again)




    The Bad Boy Mowers Gaspirilla Bowl is no longer sponsored by Bad Boy Mowers. What a bummer. No sponsor has been announced but this bowl in St. Pete has had some odd sponsors over the years (Bitcoin).


    Also confusing the issue is the Camping World Bowl which is now the Cheez-It bowl. The former Cheeze-It Bowl is now sponsorless. We did not have a tie-in here as far as I know. Just thought I'd mention it.


    The Sporting News has graced us with some Bowl predictions and has us slated for the Fenway Bowl (new this year) vs. Pitt. (how appropriate since the Pike to Binns rebroadcast is on tonight.)

    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...f1nwan8367c6zz



    Last edited by Lobot; 05-29-2020, 09:47 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW
  • Greg7173
    Distinguished Member
    • Sep 2015
    • 603

    #2
    Could these bowls get any worse? Reminds me of the old Coach episode where the Minnesota Screaming Eagles played in the inaugural Patriot Bowl in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

    Comment

    • Bearcat Chris
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007
      • 2434

      #3
      The Liberty Bowl, especially with an AAC team (Memphis) in their hometown, should be the #1 spot for the AAC. The choices we have are more fitting for the SunBelt League... ugh.

      B.C.
      "A witness to the pinnacle of UC Football, the 2020 and 2021 seasons... not likely to ever happen again!"

      Comment

      • Lobot
        Administrator
        • Apr 2007
        • 28315

        #4
        Keeping to form St. Pete has a new name. The Duke’s Mayo Bowl.

        The jokes write themselves sometimes.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

        Comment

        • Lobot
          Administrator
          • Apr 2007
          • 28315

          #5
          Originally posted by Lobot
          Keeping to form St. Pete has a new name. The Duke’s Mayo Bowl.

          The jokes write themselves sometimes.
          Source error: Duke’s Mayo is the new sponsor for the Belk Bowl in Charlotte not the St. Pete. Bowl
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

          Comment

          • Bearcat93
            Distinguished Member
            • Mar 2020
            • 647

            #6
            Naming rights are just awful. All these venues, stadiums, bowl games, swapping names for dollars.....might be the one only thing I like about the Bungles, at least their stadium has an iconic name

            Comment

            • Bearcat Chris
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007
              • 2434

              #7
              How much could UC Athletics get by "naming" Nippert Stadium? I bet, plenty!

              B.C.
              "A witness to the pinnacle of UC Football, the 2020 and 2021 seasons... not likely to ever happen again!"

              Comment

              • Lobot
                Administrator
                • Apr 2007
                • 28315

                #8
                Originally posted by Bearcat Chris
                How much could UC Athletics get by "naming" Nippert Stadium? I bet, plenty!

                B.C.
                I'm sure it would be financially worth it for the university but I hope they never do it.

                I'm struggling to to find football stadiums at the college and pro level in Ohio that have a title sponsor. Akron has one now that they've vacated the Rubber Bowl and built InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field.

                Plenty of basketball arenas with sponsored names in the state but not so much with football.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

                Comment

                • cpawstoney
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 2651

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Bearcat Chris
                  How much could UC Athletics get by "naming" Nippert Stadium? I bet, plenty!

                  B.C.
                  It already has a name and the university already accepted and used money from the Gamble family to build it.

                  Comment

                  • swilsonsp4
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 5089

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Lobot

                    I'm sure it would be financially worth it for the university but I hope they never do it.

                    I'm struggling to to find football stadiums at the college and pro level in Ohio that have a title sponsor. Akron has one now that they've vacated the Rubber Bowl and built InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field.

                    Plenty of basketball arenas with sponsored names in the state but not so much with football.
                    The Browns play at First Energy Stadium in Cleveland.

                    Comment

                    • Lobot
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 28315

                      #11
                      Originally posted by swilsonsp4

                      The Browns play at First Energy Stadium in Cleveland.
                      They finally gave up and named it? Tells you how much I pay attention to the NFL these days.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

                      Comment

                      • red_n_black_attack
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 4136

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Bearcat Chris
                        How much could UC Athletics get by "naming" Nippert Stadium? I bet, plenty!

                        B.C.
                        IF the University is really considering naming rights fees, I hope they get in touch with the Gamble family first. It is already Carson Field at James Gamble Stadium. No matter how much 5/3rd paid, the Shoe was always the Shoe to most of us and the Nip will always be the Nip. I hope the Ath Dept will make an announcement soon on renaming the baseball field after a famous alum. I am not a fan of a money grab for football given the history of Arch and Jimmy and the donations of the Gambles.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

                        Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

                        Comment

                        • Lobot
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 28315

                          #13
                          Let's work this out a bit. We've got naming rights in a bowl game thread and the obvious solution is to have a named sponsor and do a Bowl game in Nippert. The Cincinnati Skyline Chili Bowl has a nice ring to it honestly. If Yankee Stadium, Wrigley and Fenway can do it, so can we. We've even got a football stadium.

                          Your other option is to approach Skyline for the Baseball Stadium rights I guess.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

                          Comment

                          • red_n_black_attack
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 4136

                            #14
                            I would be very excited to have a Bowl game in Nippert, but there are too many Bowls as it is. I did a little research (as of December per Bill Shea in an article for the Athletic) bowl game naming rights range from $300,000 to a million per year, with higher fees closer to end of December. Most bowl game stadium seating capacities range from 45,000 to 75,000 with only the Rose Bowl higher at 91,136, and some much lower than 45,000. The New Year's bowls and CFP do well in attracting fans, but prior to New Year's Six, attendance is only 1/3-1/2 capacity so Nippert could very feasibly host a Bowl Game. Would Skyline do it? It's possible. I think it should be a first choice, but there could be other options. The Cincinnati Zoo pulls in a lot of people during the Festival of Lights, maybe a Festival of Lights Bowl (bowl tickets get 1/2 off entry to Festival of Lights. Frisch's Big Boy Bowl? There are several P&G/Gillette Brands to consider and names could get creative. The Razor Bowl. The Odor Eliminator Bowl by Febreeze. The Cold Bowl by Vicks. Or simply the Jimmy Nippert Bowl.

                            As for baseball, I think Youk has the inside line to Baseball Stadium.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

                            Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

                            Comment

                            • bba_1979
                              Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 105

                              #15
                              I will have to disagree on a new name for the baseball stadium. It should be named in honor of Glenn Sample. For those of you too young to know about him, here's a link:


                              He was truly a gentleman and is truly deserving of being honored by the university in this way.

                              Comment

                              Responsive Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...