East Carolina 11/13 7:30 ESPN2 Senior Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Carolina 11/13 7:30 ESPN2 Senior Night

Some Friday night football for you. East Carolina is bad. They're 1-5 bad and the 1 W is South Florida who is also bad. They should have beaten Tulsa but typical AAC officiating cost them the game.

This was a team threw deep on us consistently last year with a lot of success. CJ Johnson, who killed us deep last year, appears to be either injured or forgotten in the offense as he only has 13 catches this year. The main receivers are Blake Proehl and Tyler Snead. Holton Ahlers is not afraid to sling the ball around when he can stay upright in the pocket. He's been sacked 12 times this season. His passing stats this year are slight better than Desmond Ridder, despite the pass happy offense. He's hoisted about 70 more passes then Des. The real guy to watch is Rahjai Harris at RB who is the most consistent part of the offense.

On defense, the thing that stands out to me is that outside of the MLB Xavier Smith, most of their leading tacklers are DBs. That reminds me specifically of the Tuberville defenses UC had that were terrible.

The only thing that bothers me about this game is that we typically have trouble with ECU for whatever reason. Hopefully this is not a trap game and everyone is healthy afterwards.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/151

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

My gut feeling says we take care of ECU because we are at home and rolling. I think we take care of UCF because its a big game with lots of ramifications and we will be up for it and just the better team.
    The ones that scare me are Temple and Tulsa. We better not take either lightly, especially Tulsa. Both are trap games closing out the season with our eye on a bigger prize if we win the next two games.

Comment

I do not see us losing at home on senior night. Barring a barrage of turnovers i look for a repeat of the past several weeks. Any word on Pierce and Bush for this week. Pierce is really important to the downfield passing game for this team with his size. Opens things up. I believe Bush was game time last week. I heard Wiggins had a hip pointer and is likely. That's great news. I was worried it was more serious. Guy deserves a break.

Comment

Pierce and Bush will be back. I would think they would hold out Wiggins for this game if he’s not 100% to have him ready for UCF.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Offense had a great game. Defense wasn't nearly as fired up as normal. Got the job done but weren't their usual stellar play against the run. D line got banged up some also.
          Only real negative for me was the continuing silly penalties on defense, especially in critical times after we had made a nice stop. Clearly our DB's are encouraged to be super aggressive and we get several PI calls per game where receivers weren't going to make the catch anyway.
          ECU coach was whining the whole game. Glad we continued to pour it on, although the fake punt may have been a bit much. Subs want to play and execute also when they finally get in. If they can't stop our 2nd or 3rd team that's their problem.
          On to UCF. We still aren't favored in that game which should help get the boys ready.

Comment

Fickell had a long chat with their coach at the end of the game. Anyone see what the subject of the talk was? Perhaps the wisdom of a fake punt after they were so far ahead? BTW I really enjoyed that play. Worked to perfection. We may need it in our bowl game.

Comment

Fickell was explaining that he didn't call the fake punt. Joel Dublanko checked into that play and called his own number. Bad sportmanship to be honest but I'm glad they ran it from the standpoint of now everyone knows we have it in the playbook.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Great game; but, a very dicey start. I started to think that East Carolina just has our number. I must admit I cringed at even attempting the well executed fake punt with only 5 some minutes left in the game. After the great defense backup players' stand made against Carolina's backups that marched down the field in the last 5 minutes, with only 17 sec in the game, I thought we would surely take a knee. I really cringed then.

I'm sure coach Houston discussed both of those plays with Fickell. It was a long discussion and ended WITHOUT A HANDSHAKE!

The team has got to cutout those unnecessary untimely personal fouls.

Comment

The college game day this am had more fun with East Carolina this morning basically laughing at the coach and how he ought to spend a little more time on the big picture as to why his team can't stop anyone at anytime. I got no problem with a senior on senior night calling his own number on that punt to run it. Maybe it wasn't the smartest play, but it is his last go round. That part of it seems to get lost in the discussion. Same for Cameron Young a senior walk on running 75 yds for a td. That coach ought to spend a heck of a lot more time wondering why his guys can't tackle him, or anybody for the rest of the night. Our receivers basically are very, very good, or their defense is just awful. They were so wide open i could have thrown the ball to them. Also, the coach shoiuld focus on why he had 4 or 5 turnovers. Lastly, he should learn how to use a mask or not where one at all. He basically took it off all night to yell at the officials right in their faces, and then he would put it back on. I'm not a big mask guy, but he makes a mockery of it. He doesn't look or act like the brightest bulb in the garden. Congrats to all our seniors, and let's focus on Ucf.

https://thespun.com/aac/east-carolin...ram-on-gameday

Comment

Not quite sure what Coach Houston was upset about - it doesn't take much research to know that he has a history of running up scores when he was head coach at James Madison. For example, 80 -7 over Morehead State and 84 - 7 over Rhode Island in 2016. Many other wins by extremely large margins that year.

I can understand no handshake at the end of the game because of COVID-19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_J..._football_team

Comment

After Holton Ahlers chewed up the Cats last year for 500+ yards, he went 9 for 20 for 87 yards. Plus, he was sacked four more times, so ECU’s passing game generated even fewer than 87. It did lead to some DPI’s, but those didn’t really hurt.

On a side note, the Pirates’ Aussie punter is a 28-year-old frosh. He’ll be 31 or 32, if he hangs around all four years.
                      Last edited by swilsonsp4; 11-14-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Here's the box score from last night:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401212545
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Fickell was explaining that he didn't call the fake punt. Joel Dublanko checked into that play and called his own number. Bad sportmanship to be honest but I'm glad they ran it from the standpoint of now everyone knows we have it in the playbook.
                          I wish we hadn't shown we have it in the playbook. Now, it just gives teams some time to prepare for it. Better to let it be a surprise when we actually need it.

Comment

Regarding the coaches discussion, if you watched the video Marcus Freeman comes up to say something and Fickell gives him a hard elbow to shoo him away. Wonder what that was about.

Comment

I think Marcus was going to defend Fick and our position and he was sent off before a confrontation occurred. Fick let Huston whine and get it off his chest but he has nothing to apologize for.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X