• All aboard the Coaching Carousel

Currently Open:

Auburn (Malzahn)
    Illinois (Lovie Smith)
    Vandy (Derek Mason)

Filled:

Ark St (Butch Jones)
    Utah St (Blake Anderson)

I know there's other open. Haven't had time to look yet.

You can expect Illinois to throw money at Luke Fickell.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Auburn scares me more than the Illini. Vandy isn't in the conversation
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      Auburn scares me more than the Illini. Vandy isn't in the conversation
      Auburn has a bottomless pit of money, and Auburn can recruit.... that is where I could see him going.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Not worried about Auburn. They play second fiddle in their own state. Luke is the king in Clifton. $3.4 million per year guaranteed with performance escalators rising to $3.7 this season (250k bonus for New Year's Six appearance and 50k for Top 25 finish), 90 minutes from extended family in Columbus, and can regularly post 10 win seasons with relative ease at UC. The only reason to leave is for a shot at a national title (or to phrase it differently 'ego'). There are not a ton of programs where he has a chance to do that in five years or less and Auburn isn't one of them. A top SEC East program such as Florida or Georgia might be able to lure him away, while there are maybe two programs in the BIG 12 (Oklahoma and Texas) and two in the PAC12 (USC and Oregon) that have the necessary foundation to compete for a title. And I don't see him jumping to the Big 10 where he'd have to knock off his alma mater to get to the big game. I was concerned he might hop for Texas but with their AD announcing Herman will be back next year I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief - Fick would be nuts to leave UC for anything other than a top 8 program.
        Last edited by Binturong05; 12-13-2020, 08:11 PM.
        "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

I’m not worried about Auburn. It’s out of his recruiting zone. He knows the Midwest and recruits that plus Florida plus the whatever the assistants bring to the table.

His son is in the recruiting class coming in.

I think I would venture on to the ledge and say no way Auburn is happening
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

With the ND defensive coordinator taking the Vandy job it will be interesting if Kelly talks to Freeman.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
              With the ND defensive coordinator taking the Vandy job it will be interesting if Kelly talks to Freeman.
              Mickens is already there so I'm sure it's come up.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Coach Ken at Navy might be on the move. Looks like Arizona is interested
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Illinois has been filled. Bret Bielema is the new HC.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

UCF has rid itself of Josh Heupel. Heupel took the Tennesee job this morning which is funny since AD Danny White just moved from UCF to Tennessee himself.

This has a serious Butch Jones redux look to it.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

FootballScoop.com just pointed out that Danny White spent $120K to hire someone he already knew. This consulting firm thing is a damn racket.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        FootballScoop.com just pointed out that Danny White spent $120K to hire someone he already knew. This consulting firm thing is a damn racket.
                        If you are an AD and don't have a short list of coaches for each sport, why not!?! That is your job. Maybe he told the boosters/board he wanted Josh and they made him use consultant to ensure there wasn't anyone else, it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

If you are an AD and don't have a short list of coaches for each sport, why not!?! That is your job. Maybe he told the boosters/board he wanted Josh and they made him use consultant to ensure there wasn't anyone else, it's possible.
                          My guess is he didn't find a lot of interest out there for guys they would have like to have had and had to take the best option available. Sanctions likely coming, not to mention the expectations.

Comment

Luke Fickell interviewed and they wanted the Clemson OC but he declined. Looks like our time with Coach Fickell may be coming to an end soon unless he is just interviewing for the experience and pay raises.

Hopefully have him at least another couple years since his kid is with us
                            Last edited by Chewbacca2099; 01-27-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                              Luke Fickell interviewed and they wanted the Clemson OC but he declined. Looks like our time with Coach Fickell may be coming to an end soon unless he is just interviewing for the experience and pay raises.

Hopefully have him at least another couple years since his kid is with us
                              Fingers crossed for 2 more years. Luke is smart and knows he can be patient for a premier job by continuing to build here, rather than jump too soon and possibly be in the sinking boat like Scott Frost (Nebraska), Jeff Brohm (Purdue), or Scott Satterfield (Louisville). The jury is still out on PJ Fleck (Minnesota). Some places are easier to rebuild than others due to competition/conference, location, history, and luck. It may be better for him to jump to a football factory like BK did with his jump to Noter Shame. That is why when Texas and Auburn came open, I was more concerned than schools like S Carolina, Vandy, or even Tennessee. Those schools are like other P5 jobs Luke turned down at Arkansas, W Virginia, and MSU. It will be interesting if the Penn State job came open, because they have a lot of talent in PA, plus recruiting clout in the NE states. I am hopefull it will take another two years for the right job to lure Luke away. Three more years would almost be a miracle, as we are on borrowed time as it is given our history.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X