UC Fan Decorum @ IU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC Fan Decorum @ IU

For the vast majority of the time Saturday, the fan bases of each school were very respectful of each other, cheering their guys on. However, I was not happy at a fairly large portion of the UC fans in the southwest corner of the stadium when it was obvious that the Cats were going to pull out the victory. They started out a "You suck" chant. For what possible reason? It comes across as arrogant and out of order, particularly in a game between two schools that aren't really rivals. UC and IU have seldom played. When fans demean the opponent, they diminish their own team's accomplishment.

Rant over.

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
    For the vast majority of the time Saturday, the fan bases of each school were very respectful of each other, cheering their guys on. However, I was not happy at a fairly large portion of the UC fans in the southwest corner of the stadium when it was obvious that the Cats were going to pull out the victory. They started out a "You suck" chant. For what possible reason? It comes across as arrogant and out of order, particularly in a game between two schools that aren't really rivals. UC and IU have seldom played. When fans demean the opponent, they diminish their own team's accomplishment.

Rant over.
    Could not agree more! Why, for example, some portion of our fan base has to boo opponents @ Nippert is beyond me - cheer for your team - and MAYBE the officials could be fair game for a little booing. Why act like 12 year olds? You are absolutely right - demeaning the opponent only diminishes your own team's accomplishments!

Comment

I have never understood why UC fans boo so loudly when the opposing teams enters the stadium?? Classless, and this has been going on for years. IU fans did not boo UC when they took the field. I found IU fans friendly and the only obnoxious thing they did was their chant of "overrated" when they were leading.... they then quickly shut up.

B.C.
      "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Meh. I was in the SW corner and I didn't hear that. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but not many IU fans could have heard it because they were emptying the stadium like rats from a sinking ship.

What happens in the stadium is emotional, so I don't put much stock in it. And IU fans weren't innocents either; maybe the chant was in retaliation for the "Over Rated" chants in the 1st half.

I could cite more rude incidents I witnessed in the stadium by IU fans, but again, as long as no fisticuffs are involved, that stuff doesn't bother me.

I will agree on booing; unless it's some excessive brutish behavior I never boo human beings.

Comment

that sounds like the fans from the old GCL league 50 plus years ago.

Comment

Booing seems quite tame compared to what I've heard at football/basketball games in the past. Such as screaming the wishful death of a former UC President as she was introduced at halftime of a Homecoming game. Or the guy who taunted an opposing team's injured player that had just suffered a devastating knee injury. I will say in both cases the surrounding UC fans shut down the bad behavior and the perps left shortly after.

Comment

The booing at the beginning of the game, for both FB and BB, as the visiting team enters has been going on for many years.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                The booing at the beginning of the game, for both FB and BB, as the visiting team enters has been going on for many years.

B.C.
                Yes - but why? I know it isn't as bad a deal as some places, just think you could show some class and disregard the other team's entrance.

Comment

I had really great seats...the caveat was that they were among nothing but IU fans. Aside from one grumpy curmudgeon, they were fine. The gentleman next to me was very pleasant and we chatted the entire second half. He was excited to see a sold out football stadium and very complimentary on how UC has built their program.

The only time that we were disrespected on saturday, was as we were walking in. A guy kept shouting, "Bear Down! Bear Down." I didn't get it. Then again, he was probably 18 years old and therefore, blissfully ignorant.
                  Cory Huffman
                  Cin City

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X