East Carolina 11/26 3:30 ABC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Carolina 11/26 3:30 ABC

Day after Turkey Day Derby in Greenville. It's an afternoon game on Friday which should be interesting. Weird things happen when we go there.

ECU's actually pretty decent this year at 7-4. If I told you they're in 3rd place in the conference you'd do a double take. Yesterday, they escaped Navy on a 54 yard FG with time expiring. That makes 4 in a row for ther Pirates and we seem to be catching them while they're peaking. Holton Ahlers is still the guy at QB. The last couple of time we played ECU, Ahlers has been mistake prone and he's also been sacked 32 times this season.

The thing about the Navy game that sticks out to me is that ECU gave up 35 points to a team that threw 4 times all game. They also gave up two 90 yard plays in the game in Annapolis and had to score late and get a 2 pt conversion to tie the game.

Keaton Mitchell is one of the only backs in the conference with more yards than Jerome Ford. He will probably break the 1000 yard mark against us this week. On defense, the Pirates have that stat you don't want to see. A CB is the leading tackler. On offense, Ahlers can throw the ball around to the tune of 2500 yards. I don't have yards after catch stats which would be telling because Ahlers avg yards per completion is only 7.9 yards. I have not personally seen them play this season but that indicates to me that they throw a lot of screens and short passes in this offense.

I'd like to point out that Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium's nickname is the Fick.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/151

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Ford needs a monster game.
    Josh Rexhausen
    CE'99

Comment

ECU is a pretty decent team. They have some close losses. This will be a tough one. I am as guilty as anyone when I see the name on their jersey, I discount them. I hope that the Bearcats do not discount them.

Comment

Their coach has got it going in the right direction IMO. I don't think they have the offensive talent to beat us but it'll probably closer than we think. It's a conference road game after all.

The line is UC -13.5 and the weather is supposed to be decent.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

A week of preparations for SMU and what went wrong.... What's Cincinnati's secret? Inside SMU's week of preparation for the Bearcats and what went wrong Saturday – The Athletic

Comment

https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/2...-playoff-berth
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
              Day after Turkey Day Derby in Greenville. It's an afternoon game on Friday which should be interesting. Weird things happen when we go there.

ECU's actually pretty decent this year at 7-4. If I told you they're in 3rd place in the conference you'd do a double take. Yesterday, they escaped Navy on a 54 yard FG with time expiring. That makes 4 in a row for ther Pirates and we seem to be catching them while they're peaking. Holton Ahlers is still the guy at QB. The last couple of time we played ECU, Ahlers has been mistake prone and he's also been sacked 32 times this season.

The thing about the Navy game that sticks out to me is that ECU gave up 35 points to a team that threw 4 times all game. They also gave up two 90 yard plays in the game in Annapolis and had to score late and get a 2 pt conversion to tie the game.

Keaton Mitchell is one of the only backs in the conference with more yards than Jerome Ford. He will probably break the 1000 yard mark against us this week. On defense, the Pirates have that stat you don't want to see. A CB is the leading tackler. On offense, Ahlers can throw the ball around to the tune of 2500 yards. I don't have yards after catch stats which would be telling because Ahlers avg yards per completion is only 7.9 yards. I have not personally seen them play this season but that indicates to me that they throw a lot of screens and short passes in this offense.

I'd like to point out that Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium's nickname is the Fick.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/151

I will feel a lot better when this games over and we have a W - I don't care what the score is. They have had this date circled all year. Their coach is a border line nut case and even though he has for years been regarded as one of the worst at running up the score, he took exception with us last year and has used that to fire up his troops. They are a decent team and we will get their best shot. This is the consummate trap game for us and I don't know how Fick keeps the guys playing at a fever pitch. Hopefully whats at stake is enough but we typically do much better in games where we feel really challenged and not heavily favored.
              I hope we pressure the heck out of them and don't just rush 3 and drop 8. That goes for the whole game and not just until we get a couple score lead. I hope we have learned that lesson and SMU indicates we have. Yes I am worried but then again, if we are who we think we are, we take care of business. Having so many seniors should help our cause. I hope the boys save turkey dinner for after the victory. Lets Go CATS !!

Comment

A little on ECU from the Athletic ($)

https://theathletic.com/2974788/2021...more-g5-drive/
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Most years, this game makes me nervous. Not this year for some reason. I think the Cats regained "something" missing with the SMU game. I don't mean to suggest they had been playing not to lose, but the claws weren't out until the SMU game. I think they stay out and we more than cover the spread. UC 42-24.

Comment

Cats show up focused in probably a hostile environment. They put it away late in the third. Final: UC 38-21.

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                      Most years, this game makes me nervous. Not this year for some reason. I think the Cats regained "something" missing with the SMU game. I don't mean to suggest they had been playing not to lose, but the claws weren't out until the SMU game. I think they stay out and we more than cover the spread. UC 42-24.
                      I think Ford being absent for two games really showed his importance. With his return at SMU we can see his value to the team. I'm hoping our defense does better than allowing 24 points.
                      Josh Rexhausen
                      CE'99

Comment

Time to win big on national tv to shut the mouths of many.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Rexhausen View Post

I think Ford being absent for two games really showed his importance. With his return at SMU we can see his value to the team. I'm hoping our defense does better than allowing 24 points.
                          I don't know about that, we rushed for over 200 yards in the game he didn't play at all. The backups are more than capable against an AAC opponent.This game will likely fall on two factors. UC has to play a clean game and not turn the ball over which has kept a number of these "close" games in reach for opponents particularly on the road, and the defense has to exploit their shaky offensive line. This is a team we should give fits to up front, and I fully expect you're going to see a Ucf type passing game with quick hitters for obvious reasons. They've turned the ball over quite a bit, and the qb under pressure is not a good forumula for avoiding that bugaboo. I'm not sure they have the running attack and guys up front to pull a Tulsa or Navy type ball control attack. We'll see. Go Cats!

5 sacks last year and 3 int.'s for the big fellow:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401212545
                          Last edited by coach; 11-26-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Sweet 16 game

Comment

The game has been delayed until 3:50pm due to the hockey game before it on ABC running over
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X