Pandemic Impact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pandemic Impact

Two Alabama assistants test positive - O'Brian and Marrone are isolating at home but are expected back for the game. It's scary that the super bug is in their (Alabama's) house.

All three games cancelled had very low ticket sales, and were going to lose money. The bowls get "bigger" this week, and you won't see any of the biggest ones cancelled.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Down goes the Sun Bowl. Miami is out.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Down goes the Sun Bowl. Miami is out.
        The Sun Bowl is small $$ compared to a New Year's Day Bowl, or the CFP. I believe that those games will get played, as too much money is involved, but what concerns me is if we lose any key players due to outdated COVID protocol.

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

The Sun Bowl is small $$ compared to a New Year's Day Bowl, or the CFP. I believe that those games will get played, as too much money is involved, but what concerns me is if we lose any key players due to outdated COVID protocol.

B.C.
          My father said the Sun Bowl was big time when it was UC's first ever bowl game in 1947.- an 18-6 win over the VPI Gobblers (now Virginia Tech).

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post

My father said the Sun Bowl was big time when it was UC's first ever bowl game in 1947.- an 18-6 win over the VPI Gobblers (now Virginia Tech).
            Even though a 1 point loss, the 1951 Sun bowl was very big as it was the last bowl game for decades. Sid Gillman the only coach in the College and Pro HoF was the coach. They Beat X 33-20 that year too.

Comment

In the two cases of Miami and Virginia, I wonder whether C-19 was a crutch to an extent, given that both schools have changed coaches. They could have C-19 issues, but perhaps, under normal circumstances, they could've worked through them. Just a thought.

Comment

There is talk that SMU might take the open slot at the Sun Bowl. The team is ready to play, and not that far away. It has not yet been officially cancelled.

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Even though a 1 point loss, the 1951 Sun bowl was very big as it was the last bowl game for decades. Sid Gillman the only coach in the College and Pro HoF was the coach. They Beat X 33-20 that year too.
                  Isn't Wikimedia wonderful? The Sun Bowl is the 2nd oldest bowl game, after the Rose Bowl. However, Cincinnati played a post season game in 1897, beating LSU 22-0 in New Orleans. Cincinnati lost that year to the Carlisle Indians - the only team not asked to change their nickname from an indigenous peoples reference.
                  Last edited by Carin's Dad; 12-27-2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

And wasn't Tulane one of the founding members of the SEC? They are probably kicking themselves for bailing out of it. You will not see Vandy ever dropping out regardless how the rest of the conference is not aligned with their standards of academics.

Comment

Central Michigan, which was already in Tucson, has been released from Arizona Bowl & will play Washington State in Sun Bowl at noon ET Friday in El Paso.

B.C.

Comment

UCLA pulls out of tonight's Holiday Bowl vs. NC State.

Comment

^Maybe ECU can take on NCS.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            ^Maybe ECU can take on NCS.
                            Probably not tonight at 8:00.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X