Bowl Inflation!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl Inflation!

I just read that the "Frisco Bowl", featuring Miami against N. Texas was a late bowl addition, so that ALL bowl eligible teams had a chance to play in a bowl this year. I think that there are over 30 bowls now. In 1950, there were seven, and in 1990, there were perhaps 15.

Getting invited to a bowl game was "big stuff" just a few years ago, but now, if you finish 6-6, you are going to be bowl bound. Just like with money, too much "easy money" makes the money less valuable via inflation.

I hope that we return to the recent days of perhaps 15 bowls, so that the top 30 teams get invited, which will reduce the number of "opt outs". No more games with two 6-6 teams playing each other.

Just my thoughts.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Chris, I have been thinking about that exact same thing. There are way too many bowl games. A few years ago, there were teams with losing records in bowls just to fill them up. Although, if they drop it down to 15, nobody from the Group of 5 would play a bowl ever again.

Comment

Including the playoffs, there are 44 bowl games this year. ESPN owns a good chunk of these and they make gobs of money from them. Otherwise, they wouldn't have expanded the number of games to this extent.

ESPN earns considerably more cash from live games than they do any of their news, panels, and special presentations.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        Chris, I have been thinking about that exact same thing. There are way too many bowl games. A few years ago, there were teams with losing records in bowls just to fill them up. Although, if they drop it down to 15, nobody from the Group of 5 would play a bowl ever again.
        I never thought about that, although this year, 4-5 Group of 5 teams would have made it (Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, Houston, and SMU).

B.C.
        Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 12-30-2021, 11:55 AM.
        "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a change to require a winning record to be bowl eligible.

Comment

There supposed to have at least 6 wins (6-5 record) but in the past couple of years, there were not enough 6 win teams where they allowed 5-6 record to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              There supposed to have at least 6 wins (6-5 record) but in the past couple of years, there were not enough 6 win teams where they allowed 5-6 record to be in.
              Then cancel the games. Or truly expand playoffs to include these bowls with bigger bowls getting to host multiple games. If FCS can figure this out, then FBS could too. It has to be a better money option too. If Liberty or Central Michigan or some 7-8 win G5 team played Bama or oh st, then more people would watch. 32 teams over 5 weeks. Eliminate conference championship games and gegin early Dec. This is a win for everyone, especially if Army-Navy is one of the week 0 kickoff games. One last incentive. All teams get to keep practicing until championship game day.

This accidentally solves the opt out issue.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I believe the ratings are high, so that's all that matters

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                  I believe the ratings are high, so that's all that matters
                  From Richard Deitsch, passing along info from ESPN:

•29 of ESPN’s 31 non-NY6 bowls this season surpassed 1 million viewers, 18 drew 2 million viewers, and nine topped 3 million viewers. And this is why they exist on television.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X