CFP Expansion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

I'm thinking there are four opening games, with the winners getting into the QF as seen below (like a college basketball league tournament):

# 1 plays winner of 8 vs. 9
    # 4 plays winner of 5 vs. 12
    # 3 plays winner of 6 vs. 11
    # 2 plays winner of 7 vs. 10
    So, in a typical year the byes go to Big10 (1 or 2), SEC (likely 2), Clemson and/or Notre Dame. Others, like UC, have to win 4 games to be champions.

Comment

Seems that the Rose Bowl will determine schedule. Column: Why CFP expansion can't work around the Rose Bowl (chron.com)

Comment

There's a CFP meeting down here in DFW today. Reporters are on the scene. Everbody's in town except the ACC Commish who's on Zoom. I'm not sure how long they'll be going at it today but I would think that the previous 12 team expansion plans to get thrown out by the end of this. The SEC has already come and said they need to fix it after all the conference relaignment that is still happening.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Heather Dinich at ESPN is reporting they pretty much tabled everything because realignment isn’t quite done yet.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Heather Dinich at ESPN is reporting they pretty much tabled everything because realignment isn’t quite done yet.
            Here is the article: CFP says no format changes until 'dust settles' on realignment

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-realignment

Comment

The proposal to include the five highest ranked conference champions, assuming Pac no longer exists, means at least one "G5" champion still gets in. I don't foresee any scenario where a Power conference doesn't get their champion in, but I can see years where the power do not have undefeated champions and at least two undefeated "G5" champs. Think about it for a minute, it is rare to have an undefeated NFL regular season team, much less one from each NFC and AFC. I tend to agree with the thought process that a one loss 'Bama or Ohio State is likely better than an undefeated Boise St and Liberty or Coastal Carolina or UTSA, etc...; however, those one loss Bama and Ohio State teams will most certainly get at large bids. It's the two loss Wisconsin and two loss Tennessee or Ok State where this will get muddy. Having more traditional powers in one conference is good for tv money because we see more good/competitive games during the season. The tradeoff is less prestigious post season opportunities for those traditional powers.

Having the chance to prove it on the field/court is what makes the NCAA BBall Tourney so popular, and it will have the same effect on college FBall Playoffs. I also don't think 12 is enough for FBall playoff, but it will be hard to convince conferences to give up their conference championship games. Go with the regular season champ, and seriously, any power conference 2nd place team that loses out on tie breaker will get an at large bid. 24 teams with the top 8 getting a bye means only one extra game than years past, and if a team from the bottom 16 goes all the way, I don't think they will complain about the extra game.
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Here is the article: CFP says no format changes until 'dust settles' on realignment

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-realignment
                Dust settled. Let’s see what happens at the next meeting.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Bill Hancock, the director of the CFP, is up for replacement .

Dennis Dodd has a list of possible replacements.

Our old friend Mike Aresco seems to think that the CFP will eventually become the governing body for FBS football. Aresco was also on record saying the 12 team model for expansion should change from 6+6 to 5+7 if the PAC folds up.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-top-priority/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

College Football Playoff unanimously approves 5+7 model as 12-team format begins in 2024 season

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-2024-season/

The inaugural 12-team College Football Playoff will feature five automatic bids and seven at-large bids after the CFP Board of Managers voted unanimously on Tuesday to tweak the access formula for the expanding postseason tournament. The move will grant guaranteed access to the sport's top five conference champions as college football moves into a new era following the splintering of the Pac-12. The format will stay in place at least over the course of the next two seasons as the CFP negotiates a new television contract for 2026 and beyond.

Comment

College Football Playoff unanimously approves 5+7 model as 12-team format begins in 2024 season

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-2024-season/

The inaugural 12-team College Football Playoff will feature five automatic bids and seven at-large bids after the CFP Board of Managers voted unanimously on Tuesday to tweak the access formula for the expanding postseason tournament. The move will grant guaranteed access to the sport's top five conference champions as college football moves into a new era following the splintering of the Pac-12. The format will stay in place at least over the course of the next two seasons as the CFP negotiates a new television contract for 2026 and beyond.
                      You mean this TV contract?

"ESPN has agreed to terms with representatives for the College Football Playoff on a six-year, $7.8 billion extension to televise the event through 2031-32"

The ACC Grant of Rights ends in 2032. I don't think that's a coincidence.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Well now we have people talking about a Power 2 plus 2 in football.This doesn't bode well for the future at all in my opinion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-colleg...171119343.html
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Well now we have people talking about a Power 2 plus 2 in football.This doesn't bode well for the future at all in my opinion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-colleg...171119343.html
                          Sadly, not surprised at all, as this is the end goal of the B1G and SEC. Freeze out the competition and break away from it. It was never a question of would it happen but only a question of when.

Comment

A question that I have is: Will the rest of the country tune out or turn off the TV versus watching a B1G or SEC game? I have stopped watching the NFL because of all of the past strikes. I have already stopped watching SEC games.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                              A question that I have is: Will the rest of the country tune out or turn off the TV versus watching a B1G or SEC game? I have stopped watching the NFL because of all of the past strikes. I have already stopped watching SEC games.
                              Tune out. I watched the Texass Washington game because I hadn't seen Washington all year and nothing planned. It was the first CFP game I've watched in years. I wacthed the Bearcats play (almost outplay) Georgia in the Peach Bowl and attended the Cotton Bowl versus 'Bama. I think more and more viewers are tuning out of big games like these where it is an Invitational, not a earn it Tourney. I hope that calmer heads prevail and go back to 5 or 6 auto bids for highest ranked conference champions, then all of the rest by rankings. Whatever semi-valid or valid ranking is better than autobids for 4th place in the Big 10 and SEC.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Sadly, not surprised at all, as this is the end goal of the B1G and SEC. Freeze out the competition and break away from it. It was never a question of would it happen but only a question of when.
                                It's happenining. Slowly but this is step one.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-cfp-contract
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X