Ben Bryant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Bryant

Bryant is the subject of a Justin WIlliams article this morning. ($)

https://theathletic.com/3219532/2022...h-evan-prater/

He and Evan Prater are competing for the starting position at QB this year. It will be interesting to see how close the race really is here. Both QBs have time in the system so this should be a good competition. I doubt Bryant would have come back if he didn't think he would start.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I absolutely agree. What player in their right mind would transfer back to a school for their final year, just to sit and watch?

My gut feeling is that Evan Prater has not "matured" into the stud player they expected. He is still very thin (for a DI QB), and may need another year of grooming. My money says Ben B. is the starter in September.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Prater is the highest rated recruit to come here. I have been waiting to see what he can do as he has incredible raw talent. I was wishing for a few more blowouts to see him on the field. I would hate to see him enter the portal because he didn't get the chance to start and mature. But I do agree he needs more bulk to survive and thrive as a D1 starting QB.

Comment

Keep in mind Ridder was fairly scrawny when he got here as well. Took a while for him to add weight. The situations are different becuase of the talent level of the team compared to then and now. Ridder had to play more or less. Prater is not in a situation where he has to be thrown in the game before his time. Now if Bryant were to get injured, that might happen.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
          I absolutely agree. What player in their right mind would transfer back to a school for their final year, just to sit and watch?
          Per the article, Bryant has two years of eligibility remaining (Red-shirt + Covid). He essentially has six years to play five.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
            Prater is the highest rated recruit to come here. I have been waiting to see what he can do as he has incredible raw talent. I was wishing for a few more blowouts to see him on the field. I would hate to see him enter the portal because he didn't get the chance to start and mature. But I do agree he needs more bulk to survive and thrive as a D1 starting QB.
            The few times Prater was in the game, he looked over-matched. I too am hopeful he grows into the stud to match his recruiting stars, but my gut tells me has hasn't done enough. He hasn't studied enough, he hasn't gained enough muscle, and he hasn't shown the quiet leadership a good leader can maintain even in the background of Ridder.

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

My gut feeling is that Evan Prater has not "matured" into the stud player they expected. He is still very thin (for a DI QB), and may need another year of grooming. My money says Ben B. is the starter in September.

B.C.
            I think Ben will have every shot to win the job and is leading the field today, but cannot call it a lock. Evan is more naturally talented and could put it together this spring and improve throughout the summer to win the job at Higher Ground. You are probably right, but I am 70/30 leaning Ben.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I’d rather see a kid with NFL upside play vs. a kid who threw for 17 TDs in the MAC. If it’s close at all (which it is), go with Prater.
              My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                I’d rather see a kid with NFL upside play vs. a kid who threw for 17 TDs in the MAC. If it’s close at all (which it is), go with Prater.
                If Prater has NFL upside, then he will improve and win the competition. As I recall, Bryant has a very strong arm, is fairly accurate, and has a strong pocket presence. When he and Ridder were competing as Freshmen, there was a need for a dynamic running QB because the O-line was not great at pass blocking. That was a run first team with QB run second, before passing. Our line is in a much better spot.

I too am pulling for Evan to do the work to win the job, but not for any reasons/doubts that Ben isn't a good pocket passer. I am expecting Evan to be every bit the dynamic runner as Des, but also a more accurate passer with a strong arm. Ben has upside, and his numbers would be dramatically higher with our line and skill players than in the MAC. Both QBs can and will win games. My biggest question is which one will inspire those around him to be just a little better on each play. Des is a natural leader and every player gave 100% for him. That leadership will be missed whichever guy wins the job.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Ben is offcially returning for year 6 according to his twitter post from yesterday evening. I'm not sure this is going to work out the way he intends it to, but we'll see.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X