FBS Split from NCAA Starting to Gain Momentum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBS Split from NCAA Starting to Gain Momentum

Here's an article from theathletic.com ($) that centers around Gene Smith's as-yet undeveloped proposal that the FBS schools split from the NCAA. He is not suggesting that the 130 schools involved leave the NCAA entirely; just with respect to football.

https://theathletic.com/3318283/2022...meetings-ncaa/

So as to separate them from what little policing the NCAA actually does now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
      So as to separate them from what little policing the NCAA actually does now?
      and to split into a smaller power group to get all the money possible

Comment

this probably isn't too surprising, but i honestly thought it would take a few more years before the conversations were being discussed openly. UC got into a P5 conference right when they needed to.

Comment

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post
          this probably isn't too surprising, but i honestly thought it would take a few more years before the conversations were being discussed openly. UC got into a P5 conference right when they needed to.
          This article states that all 130 would leave together and I don't think that would happen. I don't even think all of the teams of the P5 would be included. Even with being in the Big 12, there is no guarantee that we would be included in a split from the NCAA but I think our chances are better than if we were in the AAC. Dabo Swinney said that he sees the top 40-50 teams leaving and forming a different league.

Comment

I like concept of governance group focused for each sport or level like the 130 FBS schools under CFP. In theory most basic NCAA rules would still apply, and additional rules added or restrictions lowered targeted for FBS football. It would give cost of governance to CFP,but the only way it works is if NCAA is still somewhat associated as a parent organization. If his works, it would give all 130 schools a somewhat level playing field within the resources each school has being different. Ohio State verus Liberty would be no different than big market baseball teams like LA, NYC, or Chicago compared to small market teams like Kansas City, Cincinnati, Tampa, or Milwaukee.

PS - a governance arm specific to Div I basketball could also work with added costs covered by NCAA Tourney TV revenue. Please keep same amount of that money going to existing governance for rest of NCAA sports and levels. The two governance bodies should not reduce size of existing NCAA governance offices. If this is the case, then Bowls could continue just like NIT continued in basketball once CFP Playoffs expand.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

As much as I don't like the NCAA, I think that they do serve a purpose, and w/o them, college FB will eventually turn into something "not good".... Perhaps players don't even have to attend classes; minimum salaries for players; perhaps just 3 Super Conferences?

B.C
              "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                As much as I don't like the NCAA, I think that they do serve a purpose, and w/o them, college FB will eventually turn into something "not good".... Perhaps players don't even have to attend classes; minimum salaries for players; perhaps just 3 Super Conferences?

B.C
                Exactly this! The only way this works is if CFP is somehow under the NCAA. Even if just the scholastic eligibility piece, I think we are all better served if the players remain student-athletes with same academic requirements for all sports. I don't mind a salary/stipend, as long as there is a cap AND NIL deals can be in place without boosters. I also like idea to allow students to get portion of jersey sales with their names.

I would set salary same for all scholarship players. This will cause a question of what do we do with walk-ons? I propose: A. walk-ons do not get salary, and B. walk-ons count toward maximum roster size.
                Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 05-19-2022, 02:19 PM. Reason: Helps to spell scholastic correctly if emphasizing academics for athletes :)
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Pac 12 commish seems all in on ditching the NCAA. ($?)

https://www.on3.com/news/pac-12-comm...s-conferences/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X