SEC May Consider Creating Their Own Post-season Playoff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEC May Consider Creating Their Own Post-season Playoff

In my opinion, this would torpedo the P5. It would be the SEC (& perhaps an expanded B10) essentially, if not officially, pulling away from the ACC, B12 & P12. The money those two conferences could command would be enormous.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...pring-meetings

It is like the present tense in Koine Greek. It has already started and is continually coming. I see perhaps a couple of more schools from the other conferences and maybe a few not being asked from the BIG. To make more money, I can see a game versus the best of the rest and the super conference champ although that would devalue the super conference some.

Comment

If they snub the other conferences, then those conferences should boycott playing them altogether. Then they would have SEC vs Big 10 all the time! Boring!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
        If they snub the other conferences, then those conferences should boycott playing them altogether. Then they would have SEC vs Big 10 all the time! Boring!
        I disagree. Look at the ratings when the sec play each other. No more squash matches - a main event every game. TV loves that. Perhaps allow a game or two to in state schools to raise funds, but that is a possibility only. So tOSU versus Alabama or Kent State. CLF needs to maintain his team's standing. I believe he can do that . The small won't boycott because they need the $$$ to fund their programs. Give the networks what they pay big money for. I do see that coming. Heck we are close now.

Comment

Steve Helwagen writes in 247 sports
          "Breaking away from the NCAA is one way to put it. The schools break away from the organization, they have to create another organization and also walk away from the March Madness TV contract.

More likely, the top football schools will operate within the current framework but will seek more autonomy to create a model to pay athletes some kind of stipend or enact whatever kind of rules they want so they can flourish. And those could be to the detriment of the other 600 or so NCAA schools, but who really cares?"

It is about the money, and it sure does talk and most likely schedule. Perhaps all the talk about their own conference is leverage as Helwagen hinted at.
          Last edited by leo from jersey; 05-24-2022, 09:08 AM.

Comment

"Breaking away from the NCAA is one way to put it. The schools break away from the organization, they have to create another organization and also walk away from the March Madness TV contract.

My understanding is that they would break away for football only. They would stay in the NCAA for basketball and the NCAA would live with it so that their March Madness doesn't get watered down.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

My understanding is that they would break away for football only. They would stay in the NCAA for basketball and the NCAA would live with it so that their March Madness doesn't get watered down.
              I think he was saying they wouldn't walk from the march money. It is all about two things now. Win at any cost and you need money to pay the cost in #1

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X