Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Rambling Thoughts About College FB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Rambling Thoughts About College FB!

All of the developments in the past couple weeks have made me, for the first time, really begin to lose interest in college FB, and not look forward to the bowl game or next year. Let's review how crazy things have gotten....

1. St. Luke signs a 7 year extension, then bolts after one year for $3 million more. I thought he "walked on water", but it turns out he is just another huckster.

2. Showmen like Dion Sanders take center stage, and he will leave Colorado as quick as he got there, as soon as somebody offers him more $$.

3. The portal, what a joke. 1000 players are in it now. Two of our best players, Coe and Renfro are history, and more to follow. Some players have played at 3 different schools.

4. 8 UC recruits have changed their minds. Going into the BIG 12... what a time to have a weak recruiting class.

5. Constant haggling over Conference makeup. Now the California Board of Regents plans on blocking UCLA from going to the Big 10

6. NIL... you haven't seen nothing yet. Give it five years, and only schools w/ serious BIG money will be able to compete.

7. ESPN's complete control over TV schedules and bowl games.

The list could go on and on. I do fear though that we are approaching a tipping point, where the sport we all loved has become nothing but a self interest, money enterprise.

Your thoughts? Please give me some hope!

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

well it surely has ruined the bowl games for those teams not playing in the CFP. I am also dismayed that a hometown hero is sitting out the bowl games instead of fulfilling his scholarship. Of course he sees the farce of the game, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
      well it surely has ruined the bowl games for those teams not playing in the CFP. I am also dismayed that a hometown hero is sitting out the bowl games instead of fulfilling his scholarship. Of course he sees the farce of the game, but still.
      I have no issue with players sitting out meaningless bowl games. I see players as having fulfilled their committments playing in regular season and championship games. I don't see players sitting out the playoff games, much unless injured.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

You could look back at the decision to allow professionals to compete in the Olympics as the decline of amateur sports. Coincidently, that is the same time that interest in the Olympics started to decline.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I have no issue with players sitting out meaningless bowl games. I see players as having fulfilled their committments playing in regular season and championship games. I don't see players sitting out the playoff games, much unless injured.
          To me as an old man in my 70s, I still think commitment to finishing the job is imperative.

Comment

Nor do I, especially someone like Wylie who did us a favor by coming back one more year only to be severely underutilized. His future is now as a pro and one more meaningless game can only harm his stock and risk injury. He was sooo wide open many times against Tulane and he wasn't even on Praters option list and didn't get the ball. Never seen such a wasted asset as this year.

Comment

To me as an old man in my 70s, I still think commitment to finishing the job is imperative.
              I understand Leo and don't disagree but its a different era than the one you and I grew up in where committments and your word were as good as gold. Its all about the money. When the kids see the coaches do what they do its hard to blame the kids for putting themselves first. I don't like it either but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

I understand Leo and don't disagree but its a different era than the one you and I grew up in where committments and your word were as good as gold. Its all about the money. When the kids see the coaches do what they do its hard to blame the kids for putting themselves first. I don't like it either but it is what it is.
                I do understand and I am happy that we beat LaSalle back in the day.

Comment

Leo- Purcell grad ?

Comment

I do understand and I am happy that we beat LaSalle back in the day.
                    Now thats funny. Would that have been about 1971 - your senior year?

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Now thats funny. Would that have been about 1971 - your senior year?
                      no before that with Larry Cipa as our QB. I think it was 24-12 and we played them on Anderson's field. We have not met since 1970. I was gone. I think that game was in 66 0r 67.
                      Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-07-2022, 01:41 PM.

Comment

The Bowl is really a gift to fans, 15 extra practices to evaluate next year's players, and don't really count except the prestige of the playoffs. I was upset a few years ago when Joey Bosa did it, but reality is the committment ends after regular season. I agree with you a person should stick to their committments, but think Josh has fulfilled his committments.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post
                          Leo- Purcell grad ?
                          MCNicholas Rockets

Comment

The Bowl is really a gift to fans, 15 extra practices to evaluate next year's players, and don't really count except the prestige of the playoffs. I was upset a few years ago when Joey Bosa did it, but reality is the committment ends after regular season. I agree with you a person should stick to their committments, but think Josh has fulfilled his committments.
                            His teamates still want to win and that is letting the locker room down especially his sentimental tweet about missing the locker room the most.

Comment

Before any knocks McNick. Remember we were the only GCL team that was co-ed. Moeller had more boys try out for the team than we had boys in school. I think Moellar had 80 show up for our home game and we dressed 19. It was, as expected, brutal.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X