Portal and NIL Ruining College Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal and NIL Ruining College Football

So now we see coaches trying to convince players to enter the portal, and switch teams. This is beyond a "free agency" for players. Look at UL's QB in the bowl game; he had been to 4 different schools.

Here are comments from the HC at Washington State, made before his bowl game, when other coaches were trying to steal his good players: "There's more tampering going on than you could ever imagine," Dickert said before the Cougars’ bowl game against Fresno State last week. "We've had guys contact our players' parents. We had a coach from another school contact one of our players and offer him NIL. So, there’s more things going on behind the scenes that you can’t even imagine. You can’t even imagine the things that are happening to try and pry our players away from this place."

Comments?

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

I don't like it or totally hate it. It's only fair kids get same chance to hop schools as coaches do. The part I hate is it favors the schools, especially traditional blue bloods. Only 40-45% of kids in portal will land at another school. Some of the rest will get to come back, but some will be told by original school no. That's a ton of lost scholarships because people thought they'd take a gamble
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      Oh look, another whining Cris post. I don't like it or totally hate it. It's only fair kids get same chance to hop schools as coaches do. The part I hate is it favors the schools, especially traditional blue bloods. Only 40-45% of kids in portal will land at another school. Some of the rest will get to come back, but some will be told by original school no. That's a ton of lost scholarships because people thought they'd take a gamble
      Whining.... just calling it as I see it. Look what the portal has done to UC this year. This is the HC at Washington State saying this stuff. "Don't shoot the messenger for the message!" See where the game is in five years, and then come back and criticize me some more.

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

Whining.... just calling it as I see it. Look what the portal has done to UC this year. This is the HC at Washington State saying this stuff. "Don't shoot the messenger for the message!" See where the game is in five years, and then come back and criticize me some more.

B.C.
        The game is definitely different and something has to be done to stop pay-4-play. NIL is good for the athletes, and I'm happy they can get their true value. I think the new NCAA president will crack down and reign in NIL collectives like Cincy Reigns, and go hard after companies paying the whole team to wear a hat, especially companies with alumni boosters making the decision.

As to the portal, I think it is crazy to have two portal windows. It is good for the schools, but not for the players. I say only have one portal window mid-May to end of June after the school year. I would add no sit-out year for first transfer because high school kids make a mistake, but subsequent transfer requests come with either sitting a year or immediately eligible, but subtract a year of eligibility.

I think you're wrong that college football will be ruined. There are more schools able to compete and it is harder for the Ohio States and Alabambas to maintain a three deep starter quality player at every position because these guys can start at Rice or Indiana or several other P5 and G5 schools. With the football playoff expanding, I think we will see more upsets and more competitive games. As stated earlier, there are only so many slots for portal guys to land and more guys in the portal than slots. This really is bad for the student athlete that throws away or gambles his scholarship. You're not at all wrong that it is a mess now, but I don't think the game will be ruined.

Lastly, all of this came to a head in a perfect storm. Between the uncertaintity of COVID, the extra COVID year, NIL, and no longer having to sit a year, all of these things add up to the mess we have today. I think coaches today will have to learn how to do all of the things Scott mentioned in his press conference. It won't be easy, but that is his job.

P.S. That was rude and unacceptable to call your posting whining. It was a kneejerk reaction when I typed it and I apologize. I immediately regretted that flippant statement and edited it out.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

P.S. That was rude and unacceptable to call your posting whining. It was a kneejerk reaction when I typed it and I apologize. I immediately regretted that flippant statement and edited it out.[/QUOTE]

Apology accepted Red n Black Attack!

B.C.

Comment

That perfect storm as you described is ruining the game currently. I hope that there are some rules set to minimize the damage and I also believe that it is still illegal to approach another player prior to that player going into the portal. Coaches cannot poach players from other teams prior to the portal. I hope that the coaches and schools that are doing this are delt with swiftly and harshly.

Comment

UNC QB offered $5 million to transfer…..Pitt Head Coach Pat Narduzzi says on @937theFan that he's heard 2 schools offered UNC QB Drake Maye $5 million to transfer. Wont's say who. But he knows who. Wow. Says it's gotten out of control and it's only going to get worse. Quote: "It's a sad, sad deal."

The NCAA has to immediately stop this BS before CFB is ruined!

B.C.

Comment

I know for a fact that one schoool approached one or possibly more of UC's players during the early portion of the season. The player was not in the portal at the time.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think NIL is a bubble market right now, one that is really good for players.

There's fan-driven NIL collectives which really aren't a huge source of money. Those will always be in play because it's about passion and supporting the program. I think you're seeing these behind the "signing bonus" style NIL deals.

There's also sponsorship dollars. Think Bryce Young in the Heisman house, but also car dealerships or local businesses, etc. I think you're seeing these behind the "rewarding fame and performance" style NIL deals.

When businesses realize that getting a tight end from the local college team to cut a commercial for a heating and air conditioning business doesn't really impact sales, I think you'll see that kind of money dry up after a while.

Everyone's throwing money at it and trying stuff, which is really good for players across the country, but probably isn't sustainable in the long run.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X