Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional Tradition

So, I have question for everyone.

Based on the fact that realignment has somewhat killed regional conferences and regional rivalries….

Is it time to dump the Miami game?
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Yes. Long overdue.

Comment

I'd rather play the Skinhawks than an FCS opponent. I doubt that UC will try to play all three OOC games against strong so-called P5 competition each year. There always will be room for Miami. I have no hate of them.

Comment

I would rather play Miami than some teams that have been on recent schedules. However, I say that we only play them at Nippert. The way things are going with TV money, I am surprised that many university's football programs can survive. Oregon State's AD is furious because they cannot support teams and staff now. The AAC makes roughly $7M per team per year (when UC was there) and the Mountain West makes about $4M per team per year. Outside of that, all others make less than $1M. The current trajectory is that the Power 4 will schedule more relevant games and fewer pay to play games against patsies. Maybe the expanded playoffs will bring back the patsies. However, if the lower tiered teams cannot get a payday by playing the likes of tosu, how do they survive?

Back to the Miami game, it will be a lose-lose situation for UC to continue playing. We get no credit if we win and if we lose it will be embarrassing. However, I believe MSU still plays the likes of Central Michigan and Western Michigan.

Comment

I would be okay with some changes, but I also would hate to see the regional rivalries completely dissapear. Perhaps they play Miami 2 at Nippert and 1 at UC North on a revolving schedule. Or every third year we host another in state MAC school like OU, Bowling Green, Toledo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            So, I have question for everyone.

Based on the fact that realignment has somewhat killed regional conferences and regional rivalries….

Is it time to dump the Miami game?
            No. We keep the Miami game simply because realignment has killed regional conferences/rivalries. The optimist in me says we will get Loserville back as a conference foe, but it will be 7-10 years before it happens. Maybe at that point we get put in a pod with WVU, Loserville, and Va Tech or Cuse, then we can revisit this question. Until then a low cost travel game at the Bengals stadium or Oxford are not so bad.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

No. Hopefully Miami gets back to consistently winning, the the history, the short distance between, gotta keep it
              Last edited by Bearcat93; 08-07-2023, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I just do not like the traffic in Oxford and the high school stadium that they have. Alternate years between Nippert and Paycore.

Comment

Yes the traffic is bad but I have enjoyed going to the games there. Something about being in a typical midwestern college town that is only a 45 minute drive away.

Comment

Political reporter Ben Jacobs has written an interesting article on the regional rivalries thing on college football. Nice to see someone from outside the sports world chime in.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...all-conference
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
                      Yes the traffic is bad but I have enjoyed going to the games there. Something about being in a typical midwestern college town that is only a 45 minute drive away.
                      I agree with this thought. The rest of our schedule is going to be quite tough each season. If we have to play a lower tier school, Miami should stay on the schedule. Remember, we have been looked down on for years by other larger schools. We don't need to do to Miami like has been done to us so much.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X