Roster Discussions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roster Discussions

I thought I'd put this out there since the post camp two deep came out yesterday.

Here's the whole roster. You can click on the column headers to sort by position or class, etc.

https://gobearcats.com/sports/football/roster/

Here's this seasons Media Guide which I haven't been through yet. (PDF)

https://gobearcats.com/documents/202...ecord_Book.pdf

A couple of things I noticed in passing through the roster was that if you compare the DL guys weights from this season to last, most guys are down about 10-15 lbs. I'm guessing that the result that's a different scheme by the DC and strategy by the strength guys. I noticed it becuase Mailk Vann seemed thin at 268. I thought it might from injury recovery but Briggs is down in weight also.

Also Jack is back. QB Jack Perry started out at San Mateo College in JuCo, transferred to UC, then transferred to Western Illinois last season and is now back at UC presumably as a grad transfer. Talk about a winding road.

Here's the unoffical two deep given to the media from another thread. Sorry for the fuzziness

2deep.jpg

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Love seeing Antwan Peek (Junior) on there, possibly as second string free safety -- though pretty young group behind Bryon Threats.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
      Love seeing Antwan Peek (Junior) on there, possibly as second string free safety -- though pretty young group behind Bryon Threats.
      That's also something I noticed in the other thread. Threats and Ward and lots of youth in the secondary. This team has a really small true senior class so it's good thing we have lots of RS and Covid seniors.

For those wondering what the STAR and DOG positions are, my understanding is that the DOG is the designated EDGE pass rusher. Gresziak should excel here. The STAR is a rover hybrid type position which is similar to what Pace played in the old 3-3-5 defense, he'll just be doing it out of a different formation.

Other stuff:

BCB/FCB is field and boundary cornerback.

OR is well "or" , basically and A/B designation. Interchangeable personnel.

Corleone who was technically listed as a DT last season is now a Nose Tackle.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

A few interesting things by position

D-Line: We knew it was a strength, but seniors Vann and Hunt, plus Jr Wodtley are not the starters. Wow, the rotation will not miss a beat with these guys, so we will stay fresh to attack the QB.

Secondary: As noted, they are young, but the D-line should throw the opposing QB off timing at the very least. I predict a fair number of INTs due to hurried throws.

LB: While the backups are a bit younger than the D-line, the group is also a strength.

O-line: Lot's of new faces. Communication will be a key to see how well this group can protect Emory. All starters and backups are over 300 lbs. Going up against our D-line in practice may be the hardest thing they do all season. This group will surprise and prove to be more than adequate in pass blocking. My biggest question is will they create a lane for the RBs?

RB: No offense to Myles or Ryan, I predict Ethan Wright will get a lot of carries behind Kiner, and we could see two 1,000 yard rushers. Satterfield is about ball control. Run first, and run again, until the time is right to strike through the air. There will be plenty of carries to go around for this group.

WR: - I'd love to see Ollie, Dee, and Xzavier on the field together. This is a tall group with two 6' 4" backups

TE University will continue. Metayer is a redzone beast, and Singletary just does all of the little things asked of him. As good as the WRs are, I still see the TE's leading the team in number of catches and TDs. This is probably more of the conservative approach Satterfield will implement to control the ball. W
        QB: I believe Prater's move to WR had more to do with Brady L and Drogosh than Emory. Both are very polished/poised for their age. Emory is also talented, but has moved around so much for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I wish nothing but the best for Mr Jones. However, I have this eerie feeling Drogosh will be the starter by week 3 and we will see marked improvement from the past few years.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

QB: I believe Prater's move to WR had more to do with Brady L and Drogosh than Emory. Both are very polished/poised for their age. Emory is also talented, but has moved around so much for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I wish nothing but the best for Mr Jones. However, I have this eerie feeling Drogosh will be the starter by week 3 and we will see marked improvement from the past few years.
          Interesting remarks on the QB situation.

I think EJ sticks around for longer than 3 weeks unless it's injury related but if it all goes south at some point, at what point to do you hand to the younger QBs the reins and let them work it out under fire?

One other thing you mentioned is the ball control offense. We're really going to have to limit turnovers to make that work in this conference. In the Big XII, if you turn it over, it will be a TD for the opponent almost without fail because of all the Air Raid offenses. I've been watching Big XII football for 20 years from my seat down here in Texas. You have to score in bunches in this conference to win. Successful ball control is the only way we get to a bowl game this season in my opinion. Everyone hated playing the service academies for a reason. It's frustrating for the D. We have to be Navy in this conference at least for a couple of years until our offense catches up a bit.

The most important position on the roster this season might be the docs and trainers. Absolutely have to stay healthy in the secondary and on offensive line.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Interesting remarks on the QB situation.

I think EJ sticks around for longer than 3 weeks unless it's injury related but if it all goes south at some point, at what point to do you hand to the younger QBs the reins and let them work it out under fire?

One other thing you mentioned is the ball control offense. We're really going to have to limit turnovers to make that work in this conference. In the Big XII, if you turn it over, it will be a TD for the opponent almost without fail because of all the Air Raid offenses. I've been watching Big XII football for 20 years from my seat down here in Texas. You have to score in bunches in this conference to win. Successful ball control is the only way we get to a bowl game this season in my opinion. Everyone hated playing the service academies for a reason. It's frustrating for the D. We have to be Navy in this conference at least for a couple of years until our offense catches up a bit.

The most important position on the roster this season might be the docs and trainers. Absolutely have to stay healthy in the secondary and on offensive line.
            We will pass more than Navy!

If I had to guess, Evan wasn't going to be #2 on the depth chart and EJ was brought in to be the starter, but Satterfield will play the best guy. Luke was loyal to his starters, almost loyal to a fault. I hope the backup QBs get plenty of snaps against EKU and no injury to Emory. I just have a feeling one of those young QBs will force the issue by their command of the offense in practice and mop-up duty to overtake EJ.

Comment

We will pass more than Navy!

If I had to guess, Evan wasn't going to be #2 on the depth chart and EJ was brought in to be the starter, but Satterfield will play the best guy. Luke was loyal to his starters, almost loyal to a fault. I hope the backup QBs get plenty of snaps against EKU and no injury to Emory. I just have a feeling one of those young QBs will force the issue by their command of the offense in practice and mop-up duty to overtake EJ.
              It's going to be hard enough for a cobbled-together squad to compete in the B12 without a QB controversy. With one it will be impossible. Emory Jones was brought in to hold down the fort until next year and allow the Cats to be as competitive as possible. After that, Brady Lichtenberg, Brady Drogosh, and Samaj Jones will battle it out.

This team, overall, is not deep at most positions. It's incumbent that they incur as few injuries as possible.

As far as the EKU game is concerned, I'd be surprised if CSS will be able to go deep into the QB room. The Colonels are not the weak sisters that Kennesaw State brought to Nippert last season. They made the FCS playoffs in 2022 and return virtually all of their offensive contributors, including the QB, who is one of the favorites to win the Walter Peyton award. I've been unable to find a betting line, but I saw one predicted score of UC, 30-26.

Comment

Anyone knows what ESPN+ (number) channel is game on? There are 252 ESPN+ channels with no EPG on IPTV streaming, it takes 15 minutes to find the game.
                Last edited by fmirzamd; 08-29-2023, 06:50 PM.

Comment

So, at WR, with the "OR," looks like Evan's #6 in the WR room overall. I just wonder if there's any intention to use him more than just as a traditional WR, any wildcat type stuff? If not, I see him possibly transferring. I mean, if Satterfield's a run first, ball control offensive scheme, I can't imagine he'll see the ball much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                    So, at WR, with the "OR," looks like Evan's #6 in the WR room overall. I just wonder if there's any intention to use him more than just as a traditional WR, any wildcat type stuff? If not, I see him possibly transferring. I mean, if Satterfield's a run first, ball control offensive scheme, I can't imagine he'll see the ball much.
                    Satterfield's offense is balanced, yardage wise. Each of rushing and passing over 200 yards last year. This is not a service academy offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                      I think it might take a year. There's experienced transfers ahead of him. He's learning the position still but you can't teach elusiveness and 6'4
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by fmirzamd View Post
                        Anyone knows what ESPN+ (number) channel is game on? There are 252 ESPN+ channels with no EPG on IPTV streaming, it takes 15 minutes to find the game.
                        I usually search NCAAF by conference to find Bearcats or mark them as a favorite. It's a little easier to look for the C-paw at game time scrolling the icons. Not sure which number it is, sorry.

Comment

A few interesting things by position

This is my I'm eating crow and happy to do so comment. It looks like Emory is the real deal, in practice and in the EKU game. I am happy to be wrong about this one and hope Emory continues to lead the Bearcat offense. I still think we are in a good position with Lichtenberg and Drogosh after this year, but there's no way either of them supplants Emory as the starter.

This crow tastes good. We have ourselves a QB!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X