Coaching Salaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching Salaries

Without dipping into how overpaid some of these guys are (Mel Tucker) , here's the annual coaching salary database from USA Today. Satterfield at 53. The database does not include private institutions because they aren't subject to state public records requests.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...football/coach
    Last edited by Lobot; 10-03-2023, 11:15 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Big 12:
    #14 Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
    #17 Brent Venables, Oklahoma
    #29 Lance Leoipold, Kansas
    #30 Steve Sarkisian, Texas
    #38 Chris Klieman, Kansas State
    #41 Dana Holgorsen, Houston
    #47 Matt Campbell, Iowa State
    #48 Neal Brown, WVU
    #53 Scott Satterfield, Cincinnati
    #57 Dave Aranda, Baylor
    #66 Guz Malzahn, Central Florida
    (N/A - BYU, TCU)

Future Big 12:
    #23 Kyle Whittingham, Utah
    #32 Deion Sanders, Colorado
    #52 Kenny Dillingham, Arizona State
    #54 Jedd Fisch, Arizona

Bonus:
    #6 Brian Kelly, Louisiana State
    #13 Luke Fickell, Wisconsin
    #94 Butch Jones, Arkansas State

Comment

I'd link to the USA Today article by Steve Berkowitz but apparently Gannett has USA TODAY's site paywalled like a fortress now.

The synopsis is that NCAA schools are collectively paying over $200 Million to coaches who no longer coach at their schools. Jimbo Fisher accounts for about 75M of it.

I could have put this elsewhere but for those who were mad about Satterfield's 3.5M buyout at Louisville, It turns out that was a net zero because Winsconsin paid the same amount to UC to buyout Fickell.
      Last edited by Lobot; 01-19-2024, 06:32 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Without dipping into how overpaid some of these guys are (Mel Tucker) , here's the annual coaching salary database from USA Today. Satterfield at 53. The database does not include private institutions because they aren't subject to state public records requests.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...football/coach
        Since there are around 66 power 5 teams, I do not have a problem with Satterfield at 53. What does surprise me is Sarkisian, I would think that Texas would be one of the highest. I suspect that he is getting quite a bit on the side. Do the salaries include bonuses, radio shows, other income?

Comment

I'm guessing here but I'd say no on incentive bonuses. The TV and radio shows are part of the job description usually. As far as other income goes I"m sure there are sponsorship deals but I'm not sure about other stuff like apparel contract shares, etc.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Speaking as one who has had to work ever since I was sixteen yrs old, I find some of these salaries disgustingly obscene.

Comment

I remember when Rick Minter was hired in 1993. His salary was $160K. Kinda like Dave Lapham's initial Bengals salary in 1974: $31K.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                Speaking as one who has had to work ever since I was sixteen yrs old, I find some of these salaries disgustingly obscene.
                As another who has work since 16, I am going to respectfully disagree. The football program brings in a ton of money to athetic departments, and the person in charge of the football program is compensated for the impact made on the field and in the ledgers. The wrong person leading the program causes an undesired impact, as the losses mount up, fan attendance and donations go down. My salary has grown since I was 16 because I have developed skills and added contributions to the organizations and companies. I still don't make as much as many of the students make with NIL and I'm okay with it. My impact isn't public, nor is it fleeting. The coaches having greater impact will get higher salaries and they earn it, much like CEO's make more than mid-tier managers, who make more than the new hire engineers/scientists, and janitors.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Rufus, my social security summary says that I have been paying into the system since 1973 and that would make me 9-years old. I agree though, the salaries are disgusting.

Comment

comments deleted by poster

Comment

When the football coach at the biggest university in your state is the highest paid public employee in said state, **** is outta whack.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I feel the same way about about most of these pros contracts too. You get imbecilic owners paying guaranteed money for a player who only plays a handful of games. Even baseball players who only hit .250 are getting guaranteed millions with some just sitting the bench. I don't know how much longer the working man will be able to afford to go to a professional ball game and it's getting the same way with college. It won't be long before attending sporting events is strictly a rich man's entertainment. And now we got gambling, NIL, and sign stealing ( Astros and Wolverines ) monies thwarting all sense of fair play in the quest to be last man ( team ) standing

Comment

Rufus,
                          My dad graduated from MSU around 1950. He was in the band then. He always was bothered by things that were happening since the 70's. MSU started decreasing the number of student seats in order to sell more to the general public at a higher rate. He felt that it was the students that really made the team. He also complained that the Soviet Union had professional players while the USA had amateur athletes - he wanted the Olympics to remain as an amateur event but was worried that everything would become professional and if it did, it would destroy the Olympics (it has). He said that there was too much money involved in college sports and that it was going to destroy things (it has). Everything that we are complaining about, he was complaining about in the 70's and 80's before his passing. This has been brewing for 50 years and it will probably get worse than better. I wonder when the student section at UC will be eliminated in the name of dollars? We at UC have been kind of blind to the transformation of college sports since we have always been under the radar. The fans of the tsou's of the world have not cared because they keep winning. I am sorry but I am my father's son and this whole thing disgusts me. I will continue to hold onto my season tickets but more and more, I just want to support the Olympic sports because they have not been tarnished the way that the money making sports have been. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                            I remember when Rick Minter was hired in 1993. His salary was $160K. Kinda like Dave Lapham's initial Bengals salary in 1974: $31K.

B.C.
                            I'm not going to research years or salary amounts for accuracy, but $160K in December 1993 equates to $336.6K in December 2023; $31K in 1974 equates to $187.9K. All figures are according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistic's Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X