Reflections On the First Half of the Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearcatJon View Post
    I would want Satterfield's agent if I was a college head coach. Got him another generational wealth contract right before he was about to be fired at Louisville. Cunningham looks like a clown paying Louisville $3million buyout.
    I think the agent factor is the key. All the coaches have agents; what agent would let his client work for an AD who would make a fired coach sue for the guaranteed balance of his contract? I think Cunningham didn't get a sniff during his week-long "national search" for a new coach. The tell was Satterfield's comment (paraphrased) about how it all came together so quickly on Sunday night (after said "national search"). This was a rescue hire for Satterfield and a desperation hire by Cunningham.

Comment

This hire does seem similar to Bohn hiring Brannen - rushed, seems desperate and not well executed. Cunningham wanted P5 head coaching experience and he took the best option that had that experience. He went against UC's playbook of taking a chance on a winning G5 coach and giving that coach the opportunity to prove himself. Maybe he was afraid of past occurrences - i.e. leaving after three years - who knows. Cunningham (and UC's fans) may have come to the reality that the head football coaching position is not as attractive as he (and us) believe.
      Last edited by London 'Cat; 10-23-2023, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
        This hire does seem similar to Bohn hiring Brannen - rushed, seems desperate and not well executed. Cunningham wanted P5 head coaching experience and he took the best option that had that experience. Cunningham (and UC's fans) may have come to the reality that the head football coaching position is not as attractive as he (and us) believe.
        Or perhaps candidates knew that UC would have trouble competing in the Big 12, and you know as well as I, that a coach is only as valuable as his last record. When CS leaves here, he will be OC (ouch for that school) at a Sunbelt Conference School.

B.C.
        "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
          1. The season went from good to bad with the blocked FG against Miami, and subsequent loss.
          2. So we hire a coach who was going to get fired, just like CTT at Texas Tech, and expect miracles to happen?
          3. Secondary and O-line are weak.
          4. QB-Jones is not the answer. Has no long pass, and misses open people. A good MAC QB perhaps, but not a good Big 12 QB.
          5. Should have won today, but the backbreaker was the fumbled KO return, and the throw to the Baylor player, who walked it in..... 2 Baylor TD's in 7 seconds. Ugh.....
          6. Punting has not been as good as projected this year.
          7. Will next year be any better? I honestly doubt it, as we lose a lot of great defensive players. Watch for a lot of players to transfer out when the portal opens.
          8. Was the move to the Big 12 a wise move? We shall see when there is more alignment down the road, but me personally, I was very happy playing Memphis and Houston, and going year after year to a good bowl, and finishing in the Top 20.

B.C.
          Really? Are you seriously questioning if this was a good move? Aside from the vast increase in revenue, you always want to play the best and push yourself to be your best. Every player, coach, and individual should take on new and harder challenges. Anything less is unacceptable. Always improving so that our future successes are sweeter.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Really? Are you seriously questioning if this was a good move? Aside from the vast increase in revenue, you always want to play the best and push yourself to be your best. Every player, coach, and individual should take on new and harder challenges. Anything less is unacceptable. Always improving so that our future successes are sweeter.
            You must be new here. Chris still wants us in the MAC.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Lobot, answer me this question..... was it, or was it not, more fun when we were in the AAC, and were playing Georgia in the Peach Bowl? I know UC FB fans, and if we don't "right the ship" soon, they will abandon UC Football like "rats abandoning a sinking ship." CS is another Dave Curry. What about Gino as the new HC. Pay off CS, and bring in a younger guy with local ties!

B.C.

Comment

It's better in the Big 12, maybe not now but the future is bright. By the way, those teams that played Georgia in the Peach Bowl or in the CFP the next year would very likely be undefeated currently this year and in first place. If we were in the AAC right now, things wouldn't be much better.

Comment

Chris, I was just ribbing you to be honest but the outside of UCF, there was nothing fun about the AAC in football. The Peach Bowl would have been a good example if anyone was actually allowed to attend it. I have unused tickets from that one. I honestly think the fan base has changed somewhat from the past where they totally abandon ship but we'll see. I think it's way to early to throw around Dave Currey references. Satterfield has a ton more to work with on the resources side than Currey ever did for starters.

Gino didn't even get the OC job at Wisconsin. While he would be a hometown favorite, I honestly don't think he's qualified yet. He has only two years of playcalling at a high level under his belt and one of them was technically Denbrock's last season. Gino is a pretty good QB coach and passing game coordinator but I think his oervall playcalling was suspect with a non mobile QB in the pocket last year. He's only 39, He's got time. He may very well end up back at UC but I don't think this is the right time for it.

Also, and this is huge for everyone calling for Satterfield's head, where is the money for the contract buyout coming from? The department doesn't have it and it won't be Larry Sheakley, I can tell you that. Satterfield will be here 3 years minimum unless he's fired for cause.

Fans are irrational. A lot of fans never wanted Fickell hired and wanted to fire him after his first 4-8 season. That turned out ok for us. It takes time to rebuild after coaching changes where the players transfer en masse like they did and a recruiting class falls apart. It takes time to rebuild when you jump up in conference strength. We're trying to do both at the same time. We may very well end up at 2-10 this season because of all this but there's really only one way to go from that. In year 3 if we're trending flat relative to this season and not trending up, I'll be worried.

For recruits and transfers, there's upside to coming here right now. LOTS of playing time available . Money flowing into the program from the new TV deal, New facilities coming online, etc.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

I know UC FB fans, and if we don't "right the ship" soon, they will abandon UC Football like "rats abandoning a sinking ship." CS is another Dave Curry. What about Gino as the new HC. Pay off CS, and bring in a younger guy with local ties!

B.C.
                    I think that the fans are already starting to just ship. The stands are filling up after the kick-off and then there are plenty of vacant seats. The fans are leaving early now too. Against ISU at homecoming, they left at half-time. Against Baylor, they started out around the end of the 3rd quarter.

Comment

Lobot, I understand what you’re saying, and I know you’re just messing with me. I think we’re spoiled because we’ve had so many good years, and this year has been a disaster. We should’ve beat Miami and Baylor, and probably Brigham Young.

Let’s give him another year and see where we are next year. I’m sure the buyout for him would be millions of dollars, and we don’t have that extra kind of money lying around.

B.C.

Comment

Just some thoughts...
                        As others have stated on this site, I am worried about player defections after this year.

Currently #43 in recruiting according to 24/7 - can Coach S. hold this group together? I'll have sweaty palms until signing day!
                        UC has to be in the top 40 in recruiting to be competitive in the Big 12
                        At least under Coach Currey QB play improved. I thought he got the most out of his QBs (unless I am 'misremembering' like Roger Clemens)
                        Sloppiness and mistakes in the games - yes coaching to blame but also where are the players heads at - where's the focus and attention?
                        Need better evaluation of transfer portal candidates for sure

Just as an aside, when his playing days in Canada are over I wonder if Zach Collaros would want to get into coaching - I always thought he would make a good QB coach or OC and in basketball I thought Keith Gregor would have made a good college bball coach someday.
                        Last edited by JohnFrancis; 10-23-2023, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It’s definitely irrational to say replace Satterfield but it’s more than reasonable to say he’s doing and saying some curious things. The play calling is soooo predictable, the QB1 is terrible & there’s no hint of even a few series for another QB with the game still in the balance. The DB & special teams coaching is pretty poor, too. These are all outcomes of an overwhelmed HC. Sticking with the same approach isn’t working -change something up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                            It’s definitely irrational to say replace Satterfield but it’s more than reasonable to say he’s doing and saying some curious things. The play calling is soooo predictable, the QB1 is terrible & there’s no hint of even a few series for another QB with the game still in the balance. The DB & special teams coaching is pretty poor, too. These are all outcomes of an overwhelmed HC. Sticking with the same approach isn’t working -change something up.
                            i can hear next fall already -"our qb's are raw, since they didn't get any extended playing time last year" - this season is going nowhere - they need to play the youngsters now

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

I think that the fans are already starting to just ship. The stands are filling up after the kick-off and then there are plenty of vacant seats. The fans are leaving early now too. Against ISU at homecoming, they left at half-time. Against Baylor, they started out around the end of the 3rd quarter.
                              and this last week, there was a good sized chunk of the student section that was empty all game - not a good sign

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Not new, just calling Chris out for the umpteenth time on this type of backward thinking.
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X