Oklahoma St. 10/28 8:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma St. 10/28 8:00 ESPN2

Oklahoma St. comes into this matchup at 3-1 in conference and 5-2 overall. The record indicates they have righted the ship after a blowout home loss to South Alabama and a close loss to Iowa St. on the road. They have now won three in a row including at home vs. the Kansases and on the road at WVU this past weekend.

The Cowboys stats don't really stick out in any one phase of the game. They are quarterbacked by Alan Bowman. Bowman started his career hot at Texas Tech but suffered a collapsed lung and a trip to the ER during his freshman year against WVU. After 2 more years at Tech, he transferred to Michigan for 2 years. He only threw a handful of passes there. He's now at Ok St as a 6th year player. Looks like he picked up a medical redshirt for his freshman campaign. Bowman was recruited and offered by UC in the 2018 class although we never got him up to Clifton for a visit.

This is a more run heavy offense than you usually see from Mike Gundy. Bowman's completion precentage is way down from his early seasons and he's pretty immobile in the pocket so they have to run to loosen things up.The running game for the Pokes is almost entirely Ollie Gordon II who has 800+ yards on the season and avgs 7 yards a carry. Bowman's favorite target is Brennan Pressley. Pressley leads the receiving corps in catches and TDs.

On defense they have a good LB and Strong Safety in NIckolas Martin and Kendal Daniels. Martin will rush the passer and has 4 sacks on the year.

ESPN predictor is only giving us a 34% chance to win on the road. Fortunately for us it's been wildly inaccurate the last two weeks so I have no idea what to make of that. Ok St. leads the series 2-1 and we haven't played them since '83 so there's not a lot of history here.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/197
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Mike Gundy is 56.

Comment

He is a man.

Comment

Lol. For those who have no idea what's going on here, here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3oXkDPKbM
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Maybe our coach should watch how to defend his player rather than disparage them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Ok St. leads the series 2-1 and we haven't played them since '83 so there's not a lot of history here.
            But that 1983 game and season was noteworthy if not historical, by UCFB standards in that era.

That game was played the week after UC's upset win over Penn St. in Happy Valley, 14-3. It was a night game, Nippert Stadium was as full as could be (although I can't find an attendance stat), which was amazing because that was also Johnny Bench night at Riverfront Stadium (which was, naturally, also full).

The game was closely played, but the turning point was an uncalled clipping penalty by OK St. (I believe it was Melvin Jenkins as the defender, and I think he was out for the season due to the injury on that play). The final score was 27-17.

1983 was HC Watson Brown's first and only season at UC; he left for Rice after the season but I was already hearing rumors he was gone by the 4th game of the year. They ended the season at 4-6-1, with the tie being with UK in Lexington.

Comment

It's likely to be a wet, chilly Saturday in Stillwater. 80% chance of rain throughout the day and night, with thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 58F, low 35F Sunday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                It's likely to be a wet, chilly Saturday in Stillwater. 80% chance of rain throughout the day and night, with thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 58F, low 35F Sunday morning.
                Yeah we're going into a relative deep freeze down here next week. It's been wet here for the last three days. The stuff rolling through Dallas has been all rain and heavy rain so hopefully we don't get the lightninig delay treatment in Stillwater.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                  But that 1983 game and season was noteworthy if not historical, by UCFB standards in that era.

That game was played the week after UC's upset win over Penn St. in Happy Valley, 14-3. It was a night game, Nippert Stadium was as full as could be (although I can't find an attendance stat), which was amazing because that was also Johnny Bench night at Riverfront Stadium (which was, naturally, also full).

The game was closely played, but the turning point was an uncalled clipping penalty by OK St. (I believe it was Melvin Jenkins as the defender, and I think he was out for the season due to the injury on that play). The final score was 27-17.

1983 was HC Watson Brown's first and only season at UC; he left for Rice after the season but I was already hearing rumors he was gone by the 4th game of the year. They ended the season at 4-6-1, with the tie being with UK in Lexington.
                  That's really something. I'm curious if you remembered all this off the top of your head?
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

That's really something. I'm curious if you remembered all this off the top of your head?
                    I also was there that night. The clipping was outrageously blatant, right in the open field near midfield. The Okie State fullback had taken a screen pass and got a wall of blockers. Then the clip. The play ended up deep in UC territory near the north end zone. The Cowpokes stuck it in shortly after that.

Comment

Ha! Unfortunately, yes, as if it was last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post

Attendance was about 25K, and at the time, Nippert held around 28K. Great crowd. UC pulled off one of the "slickest" fake FG's I have ever seen. UC hung w/ them for a good while. It was a great game, considering much press attention was on Johnny Bench night at Riverfront. I had heard that Watson Brown was on the phone w/ other schools, the Monday morning after the Penn State win. He really never succeeded anywhere, and Rice paid him some seriously BIG BUCKs to go there, and he did nothing, and was fired after 3 years.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Game day!! 12 more hours. Let's get pumped up
                          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I don't usually do weather reports but this game is going to be awful for the players. 45 degrees with gusty north winds and cold rain starting after halftime. Wind chill will be below freezing by the end of the game. Bleah...
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don't usually do weather reports but this game is going to be awful for the players. 45 degrees with gusty north winds and cold rain starting after halftime. Wind chill will be below freezing by the end of the game. Bleah...
                              Offensive game plan: Run, run, run.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X