Thoughts on the UCF Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the UCF Game

1. Very bland play calling for most of the game, especially when they needed the 2 point conversion. Too many "up the middle runs".
    2. O-line doesn't give Jones any time.
    3. Not impressed with UCF. We should have won this game.
    4. Good crowd, which surprised me.
    5. Still don't think CSS is the man to return us to the glory days. I guess they will give him one more year. The portal will see lots of players go.
    6. Thank God this season will be over in 3 weeks.

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

A few more observations:
    1. Why do we have to be in the pistol formation on 3rd or 4th and 1?I personally hate the pistol formation, and wish I never had to see it again, but on 3rd and 1 it is simply inexcusable to line up like that.
    2. Every time this team tries to run tempo, and line up in a hurry, it blows up in their face. Please, with this group take the time to get assignments straight, and don't try to fool or catch anybody, because it doesn't work.
    3. …
    I think somebody mentioned this after last weeks game.

Comment

They tried too many fancy run plays with players shifting and rotating and then the handoff up the middle for a loss of a yard. This team is not good enough to overcome their mistakes. the defensive backs still just watch the receiver's eyes and have no clue where the ball is. For the 2-point conversion, the last player we wanted to make the play was Jones.

Comment

UCF 28 Cincinnati 26 (Nov 4 2023) (heartlandcollegesports.com) Three thoughts.

Comment

I remember when breaking down the game afterwards was really interesting…..now it’s like 3 things in different measures: lackluster play calling, inept QB play and discipline (penalty) issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
            I remember when breaking down the game afterwards was really interesting…..now it’s like 3 things in different measures: lackluster play calling, inept QB play and discipline (penalty) issues.
            All coaching issues. Jones is not getting the coaching he needs to succeed and if he really is not talented enough, the coaches need to pull him and go with younger talent that has the chance to improve. Lackluster play calling is a subset of poor QB coaching. And let us not forget the lack of proper coaching in the defensive backfield. Pray Coombs retires very, very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post

All coaching issues. Jones is not getting the coaching he needs to succeed and if he really is not talented enough, the coaches need to pull him and go with younger talent that has the chance to improve. Lackluster play calling is a subset of poor QB coaching. And let us not forget the lack of proper coaching in the defensive backfield. Pray Coombs retires very, very soon.
              Yes Combs should not come back in any coaching capacity. Let him recruit only!

Comment

@Knickoson42:

"Satterfield said Sunday's team meeting was heated.

Said multiple coaches spoke up, holding players accountable for a lack of discipline.

Clarified that 85-90% of the roster is doing everything they are supposed to."

Hmm...

Comment

Can we speculate on which players are in the 15-10%? Pace got benched for Oklahoma due to locker room issues after the Miami Loss but hard to argue his effort on the field. Bryon Threats is one of my personal favorites but can see his emotions getting the better of him, evidence of the ejection last game. It's bizarre to me to hear about player accountability yet say it's only a small % of the team. Even more strange that outside of Harris at DB, there hasn't been any player/starter changes. Honestly, comes off to me as another lame attempt by a coach to place blame and accountability anywhere but on himself.

Comment

I’ve seen very little I like of Satterville’s coaching, particularly off the field. The fact that there’s next to no switching out of players that aren’t getting it done is just mind boggling

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Daddy_Bearcat_07 View Post
                      Can we speculate on which players are in the 15-10%? Pace got benched for Oklahoma due to locker room issues after the Miami Loss but hard to argue his effort on the field. Bryon Threats is one of my personal favorites but can see his emotions getting the better of him, evidence of the ejection last game. It's bizarre to me to hear about player accountability yet say it's only a small % of the team. Even more strange that outside of Harris at DB, there hasn't been any player/starter changes. Honestly, comes off to me as another lame attempt by a coach to place blame and accountability anywhere but on himself.
                      i'd bet that, after the season, somebody spills their guts, and puts out a lot of anti-CSS stuff. not to say that it'd all be warranted, but, he is the "adult" in the room, and, with that, bears a little more responsibility to get things right.

Comment

My final thought on UCF. I knew they would do it, and they did, but I find it very disrespectful and juvenile that their fans shout "(k)night(s)" during the National Anthem. A weird fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                          My final thought on UCF. I knew they would do it, and they did, but I find it very disrespectful and juvenile that their fans shout "(k)night(s)" during the National Anthem. A weird fanbase.
                          if you went to disney U, you'd probably have a huge inferiority complex too

Comment

From the Enquirer today (11/9/23): Message: "The difference between when Luke Fickell took over and when Satterfield took over, is that Fickell took over a program that was a mess and Satterfield took over a program that was Top 25 quality. The real problem at UC, however, is (athletic director) John Cunningham. All of his coaching moves have been terrible. Wes Miller is a great recruiter, but can’t coach. Satterfield can’t coach or recruit."

B.C.
                            "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                              From the Enquirer today (11/9/23): Message: "The difference between when Luke Fickell took over and when Satterfield took over, is that Fickell took over a program that was a mess and Satterfield took over a program that was Top 25 quality. The real problem at UC, however, is (athletic director) John Cunningham. All of his coaching moves have been terrible. Wes Miller is a great recruiter, but can’t coach. Satterfield can’t coach or recruit."

B.C.
                              Was that a printed statement by a respected sports journalist or the ranting message of another commenting troll? Because this wasn't going to be a top 25 program this year unless Luke stayed. He didn't and a scurry of action happened that caused this program to be a mess. If there had been the portal or the Dec early signing period when TT left and Luke took over, they would be comparable. As it is now, no one can say Satterfield cannot recruit; he had less than two weeks from hire to signing day while Luke had 2 and a half months.

As to Wes, the troll was simply wrong. Wes has his people filling every position on the roster except Vik, and this guy can both recruit and coach. For both FB and BB, there were a few uncoachable guys on the roster and it has disrupted the rythm of everything the team and staff are trying to do. Anyone who says fire Satterfield now, or even he was the wrong hire and we'll fire him when buyout drops is doing so without a body of evidence to back up those words. Satt may turn out to be a dung pile or not, but we cannot say that yet.
                              Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 11-09-2023, 09:42 AM.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X