Houston 11/11 7:00 FS1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston 11/11 7:00 FS1

Houston is the only newcomer in the BIg XII to have knocked off a legacy conference team. They've beaten WVU and Baylor, both on the very last play of the game. They took down WVU on a ridiculous Hail Mary and beat Baylor on an OT QB run and 2 Pt conversion. The Coogs started slow this season with a close win over UTSA and a loss to Rice that is pretty equivalent to UC losing to Miami. Shouldn't happen for the most part. Just on the eyeball test they've played a tougher conference schedule than we have and hung in there with Texas for most of the game before picking up an L.

As is typical of Holgorsen coached teams, they're running the Air Raid offense and go about 2:1 pass to run. Donovan Smith has been very good with over 2300 yards and a 65% completion percentage. He's also the second leading rusher on the team. Houston really does not have a dominant running RB on their side as they lost guys to the transfer portal. Smith does have a tendency to take a lot of sacks. He's up to 20 on the season. His receivers are Samuel Brown and Joseph Manjack although Manjack went down with an injury in their last game and I'm not sure what his status is. Matthew Golden is the go to guy in the Red Zone.

ESPN predictor says Houston 55%

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...stats/_/id/248

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Bearcatbret's predictor says Houston 99%. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
      Bearcatbret's predictor says Houston 99%. Ugh.
      I agree with your predictor! In fact I might even up it to 99.1.

Comment

I am going to the game & with that % in Houston's favor, I hope they sell beer at the game

Comment

The season went "south" with the blocked FG at the Miami game. Such is FB. I honestly don't expect next year to be any better. If there are no signs of improvement, then CSS has to be let go, before we fall into a 20 year abyss of awful football. Remember, St. Luke brought UC FB to great success by year 2.

B.C.
          "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
            The season went "south" with the blocked FG at the Miami game. Such is FB. I honestly don't expect next year to be any better. If there are no signs of improvement, then CSS has to be let go, before we fall into a 20 year abyss of awful football. Remember, St. Luke brought UC FB to great success by year 2.

B.C.
            I don't see Cunningham cutting him loose after only two years, barring a John Brannen situation. Here are the pertinent financial details of a buyout, per Russell Steinberg of "The Boardroom":

"As for the buyout that will be built into his Cincinnati contract, Satterfield can rest comfortably knowing most of his base and supplemental pay is guaranteed. If Cincinnati fires him without cause prior to Dec. 31, 2025, the university will owe him every penny left on his deal, not including bonuses. If he’s fired Jan. 1, 2026, or later, up until the end of his contract, Satterfield will be owed 70% of his remaining pay.

So, let’s say Cincinnati cuts ties with the coach on the first day of 2026. He would still have $11.7 million left on his deal, meaning Cincinnati would have to pay him 70% of that, or $8.19 million."

Comment

Now, back to Houston: The Cougars are another beatable team, just like most of the squads the Cats have played. We need a game with limited breakdowns. UC is running up and down the field on almost everybody, then commit a stupid penalty that extends the opponent's drive, cough the ball up, or some other avoidable error. If they can manage that somehow on Saturday, UC can win. TDECU Stadium isn't exactly intimidating.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I don't see Cunningham cutting him loose after only two years, barring a John Brannen situation. Here are the pertinent financial details of a buyout, per Russell Steinberg of "The Boardroom":

"As for the buyout that will be built into his Cincinnati contract, Satterfield can rest comfortably knowing most of his base and supplemental pay is guaranteed. If Cincinnati fires him without cause prior to Dec. 31, 2025, the university will owe him every penny left on his deal, not including bonuses. If he’s fired Jan. 1, 2026, or later, up until the end of his contract, Satterfield will be owed 70% of his remaining pay.

So, let’s say Cincinnati cuts ties with the coach on the first day of 2026. He would still have $11.7 million left on his deal, meaning Cincinnati would have to pay him 70% of that, or $8.19 million."
                What a stupid, too generous contract for a coach who was going to be fired from UL, plus we paid UL $3 million to get him. Ugh...... the stupidity in the AD office is incredible.

B.C.
                "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Houston is the only newcomer in the BIg XII to have knocked off a legacy conference team.
                  Overly pedantic and irrelevant to your overall point, but BYU beat Texas Tech 2 weeks ago :-)

Comment

Originally posted by regoarrarr View Post

Overly pedantic and irrelevant to your overall point, but BYU beat Texas Tech 2 weeks ago :-)
                    I saw other posts on social media as late as this afternoon making the same claim.

Comment

Originally posted by regoarrarr View Post

Ahh, I obviously missed that. whoops
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

"I am going to the game & with that % in Houston's favor, I hope they sell beer at the game"

With this team drinking is needed. The more the better.

"UC is running up and down the field on almost everybody, then commit a stupid penalty that extends the opponent's drive, cough the ball up, or some other avoidable error. If they can manage that somehow on Saturday, UC can win. But then EJ couldn't keep up ,his 1.82 interception per game average. Plus he's got an extra interception to give from last game.
                        Last edited by Rufus; 11-06-2023, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Manjack will play for Houston per Joseph Duarte at the Houston Chronicle. Cleared from concussion protocol
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

What a stupid, too generous contract for a coach who was going to be fired from UL, plus we paid UL $3 million to get him. Ugh...... the stupidity in the AD office is incredible.

B.C.
                            Then we should fire the AD if we're stuck with his pick at coach.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Can we move to coaching and AD discussion to another thread maybe? Let's keep this one focused on Houston. Houston has played some real duds against the Bearcats in recent years. We might have a chance to steal one here.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X