NIL Will Ruin College FB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIL Will Ruin College FB!

UC pays nothing compared to SEC schools. Funny that 4 of the top 6 UC NIL players won't even be here next year, and our top NIL player this year, rarely touched the ball, and is now in the Portal. This will not be the end of the $$ race to get the best athletes.

Check this out, UC Top NIL: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/pla...team-key=23814

Nation's top 100: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/

O$U's NIL: https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/pla...?team-key=9533

B.C.
    Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 12-02-2023, 12:07 PM.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

The more that people understand, the more they will lose interest. However, as I have said before, most people do not have a clue about sports other than wins and losses. I lived in rural east-central Ohio for 6 years just a few years ago. Those people were all tosu fans and knew nothing about TV deals or grant of rights - they did not understand that the B1G 10 schools were getting around $60M per year and that the American Conference was getting roughly $8M. They also thought that Cincinnati had an enrollment of about 15,000 students. Not a single one of them actually went to tosu.

Comment

Are the schools paying their athletes 6 & 7 figures even making them go to class - especially since some are making more money then the profs, and in some cases even some of their coaches? This whole thing is still very new - let's see where it goes after the law suits and administrative actions - but when kids are staying in school (actually a good thing if they are learning anything) because they are making more money then if they turned "pro" how do you call it "amateur" athletics?

Comment

I don't think you can call them amateurs any longer. Not if they're getting paid. That's why the push by some is going to classifying them as employees other than student - athletes. I do agree with your estimation that the NIL is going to ruin not only football but all college sports. The schools that have a propensity to cheat have just been given card blanc to buy any player they want especially if they are one of the elite SEC, Big10, or big12,

Comment

A neighbor of mine graduated with Mick Cronin from LaSalle. They remain good friends. My neighbor told me that many of Cronin's players at UCLA wanted at least $1 million dollars in NIL money to stay. He told the team that anybody who wanted that kind of money should play elsewhere, and he is bringing in players from Europe, who are just glad to be here to get possible NBA exposure.

Subsequently, seven of UCLA's rooster players are from other countries..... Good for Mick!!

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
            A neighbor of mine graduated with Mick Cronin from LaSalle. They remain good friends. My neighbor told me that many of Cronin's players at UCLA wanted at least $1 million dollars in NIL money to stay. He told the team that anybody who wanted that kind of money should play elsewhere, and he is bringing in players from Europe, who are just glad to be here to get possible NBA exposure.

Subsequently, seven of UCLA's rooster players are from other countries..... Good for Mick!!

B.C.
            I'm waiting to see what Mick does if the Europeans don't win and his big money contract is close to being cancelled.

Comment

The NCAA can rein this in by requiring all NIL deals to be brokered by an agent
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I live in the Columbus media market, where it is all things tO$U. I can state with certainty that NIL is a farce. There has been no tv, radio or print advertisements featuring any player from tO$U. It is just an excuse to legally pay players. I’m certain tO$U is not alone in this arena - it happens everywhere there is money to be spent.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                  I live in the Columbus media market, where it is all things tO$U. I can state with certainty that NIL is a farce. There has been no tv, radio or print advertisements featuring any player from tO$U. It is just an excuse to legally pay players. I’m certain tO$U is not alone in this arena - it happens everywhere there is money to be spent.
                  You are absolutely right. I haven't seen one thing, except maybe for the names of a player on a jersey in the UC Bookstore. Who ever had this NIL idea should be tarred and feathered, as it will become an "arms race", which only the Big $$ schools can afford.

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                    The NCAA can rein this in by requiring all NIL deals to be brokered by an agent
                    Giving agents free rein to broker contracts with the NIL would be like throwing gasoline on a fire. We already have agents hounding kids as early as junior high in their quest for the highest dollar. No the horses have done left the barn no sense in closing the doors now.
                    This is a quagmire that cannot be fixed.

Comment

Here we go. NCAA proposes new rules to let the big guys break away, and pay players directly. Teams will be required to put millions into a fund for athletes each year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...nter-nil-deals

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                        Here we go. NCAA proposes new rules to let the big guys break away, and pay players directly. Teams will be required to put millions into a fund for athletes each year.

They are making it quite apparent that parity is not a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

Giving agents free rein to broker contracts with the NIL would be like throwing gasoline on a fire. We already have agents hounding kids as early as junior high in their quest for the highest dollar. No the horses have done left the barn no sense in closing the doors now.
                          This is a quagmire that cannot be fixed.
                          If they are talent agents cleared by the NCAA, who help student-athletes get endorsement deals,and have their standing held accountable by having to have proof the student-athlete actually holding up their end of the endorsement, then the NCAA could go after pay-4-play rule breakers. The talent agents cannot work for a firm that has sports agents or they themselves cannot be a sports/contract agent; this keeps the professional ties out of college, allows kids to profit from NIL, and closes the loop on pay-4-play.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

They are making it quite apparent that parity is not a concern.
                            I don't know. More teams were in the chase to the last weekend than before.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

This is utter madness and the majority of schools will not be able to keep up.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X