X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
    Am I missing something? Whether or not the governor of CA says the state is not allowed to ban players from making money off their likeness, the NCAA can still ban it like they always have can't they? It's not up to the state of California if the colleges are members of the NCAA. I can see this as being a step towards paying college players if a good percentage of the states enact the same law and pressure or somehow legally force the NCAA into agreeing.
    Yes, and this is the root of the problem/headache. The California legislature already bans using state funds for NCAA member schools in California traveling to certain states. If the NCAA does nothing, then one of two things happens. 1.) California schools that allow players to take advantage of state law break from the NCAA and can play games among themselves and any schools where similar laws are passed (and allowed) from other states.2.) California NCAA member schools follow NCAA rules and do not allow players to play who have endorsement deals.

Side note: When Greg Anthony played at UNLV he owned a silk screening and tee shirt company. It was found that his business was not technically a violation of NCAA rules as students were encouraged to test their entrepreneurial skils (thank God for spell correct). Greg ended up paying his own tuition and was essentially a walk-on as a result. I could see the NCAA allowing players to have endorsement deals with stipulations such as giving up scholarship, their representative can't be sports agents, and no endorsement deals with school boosters or sponsors (including the school, i.e. tO$U couldn't pay Justin Fields to use his image on the game day scorecards)

Leave a comment:

• MI Bearcat
    replied
    Am I missing something? Whether or not the governor of CA says the state is not allowed to ban players from making money off their likeness, the NCAA can still ban it like they always have can't they? It's not up to the state of California if the colleges are members of the NCAA. I can see this as being a step towards paying college players if a good percentage of the states enact the same law and pressure or somehow legally force the NCAA into agreeing.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    This means the NCAA cannot profit off the likeness/image of individuals. This goes back to Ed (forget last name) from the '95 UCLA team. It creates quite a mess if one state has this and others don't. One way to look at it that could work everywhere should the NCAA decide to adopt this to create fair play everywhere: Make it approved by NCAA but make it like all other jobs where you can't get paid for likeness by a booster or sponsor. I.e., a shoe company that sponsors specific athletic program. It is going to get ugly, but this is a good thing for the kids and the NCAA needs to make it a level playing field everywhere. Two things that cannot happen is the NCAA ban member organizations from scheduling California schools, nor can you have only California schools enabling endorsement deals. Hopefully the NCAA can manage it in such a way that the players get the money, the NCAA doesn't profit off the players, and this ends up being a non issue because few players do it. Only a few players will have an appeal broader than the region in which the school is located. Lastly, the players will need to sign with entertainment agents, much like an actor and join the commercial actor guild. With all of that, the agents cannot be tied to or associated with agents who represent professional athletes.

This can work only if the NCAA gets off it's butt and makes this feasible within their bylaws for students at all member institutions,

Leave a comment:

• blackattack
    replied
    Personally I think this is great even though I admit this puts an end to what little is left of amateurism in college sports. Hopefully this blows up the hypocritical NCAA once and for all.
    I have no idea how this ultimately affects UC athletics......probably not good but we're stuck on the outside looking in so what's it matter ??

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Another article ($) and podcast:

https://theathletic.com/1255043/

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    You're talking about MLB or NFL, or NBA. Without a draft.

Leave a comment:

• Corporateballa
    replied
    Great news and long overdue. I’m a huge supporter of capitalism.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    This will be terrible for college athletics. This will turn over total control of the game to ESPN and the shoe companies.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X