The Athletic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Athletic

The Athletic has been searching for a buyer for a while. It finally got one. The New York Times is purchasing the site for 550M.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect the site or Justin Williams in a negative way. Seriously hoping they stick to the ad free subscription model
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    The Athletic has been searching for a buyer for a while. It finally got one. The New York Times is purchasing the site for 550M.

Hopefully this doesn’t affect the site or Justin Williams in a negative way. Seriously hoping they stick to the ad free subscription model
    If the New York Times is buying it then I hope it doesn't get "woke" and political the way ESPN did.

Comment

^I was thinking very similar ideas. NYT has been losing readers and subscribers by the 1,000's. I just hope that the NYT does not chase all of the Athletic readers away by creating a sounding board of nonsense. All of that stuff does not belong in sports. I wish that ESPN would learn that. Note to ESPN, if I want to listen to a bunch of political pundits, I will watch Sunday morning shows.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        ^I was thinking very similar ideas. NYT has been losing readers and subscribers by the 1,000's. I just hope that the NYT does not chase all of the Athletic readers away by creating a sounding board of nonsense. All of that stuff does not belong in sports. I wish that ESPN would learn that. Note to ESPN, if I want to listen to a bunch of political pundits, I will watch Sunday morning shows.
        The Times is losing print subscribers, but is growing substantially with online subscribers. Their printed copies are down to only 375,000, but they have about 8 million digital subscribers and added 450,000 in the last quarter. They're doing fine.

Comment

This is really good news. I read the Athletic every day, but seeing them struggle to find a buyer I was afraid they might be close to folding. Glad they found a safe home. If they offer a discount for current NYT subscribers it could mean a lot more revenue for them.

Comment

I use sports as an escape from everything else in life. I am sad to hear that the Athletic will now fall under the wing of a major media outlet, with left or right leaning policies. I'd prefer to keep politics and sports as separated as possible.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I love the athletic
              Last edited by Corporateballa; 01-07-2022, 11:30 PM.
              My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                The unfortunate reality is EVERYTHING is political. Ideologies like racial justice should be commonly embraced by humanity not a political ideology. 2020 changed our world forever in a way that 1968 did.

Black athletes dominate football and basketball. Many athletes in this generation are committed to using their platform to improve their communities in a way previous generations weren’t. Dudes like Michael Jordan were singularly focused on money, popularity, winning. The good news is we are all free to chose what we consume. Especially in print media. Just don’t read it 🤷🏾
                And people can choose to not watch the channels that go woke and they do. ESPN has learned this. The only thing that people watch on ESPN are games especially the CFB playoffs. They have been getting rid of people left and right and once streaming rights start taking over that will be the end of ESPN. People are cutting the cord left and right. The NBA learned that in 2020-2021. They lost a ton of money due to drastically reduced TV ratings. It is not a good business model when you decide to go outside of what it is that you do and tick off half of your viewership by insulting them and suggest they are responsible for things that they are not responsible for.
                Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 01-07-2022, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                  I use sports as an escape fro everything else in life. I am sad to hear that the Athletic will now fall under the wing of a major media outlet, with left or right leaning policies. I'd prefer to keep politics and sports as separated as possible.
                  then don't listen to many player's interviews. I stopped. Most are far from experts. I respect everyone's right for n opinion, but I buy channels and journals not for their views but for views on their games and performance. That is why I like CLF and those like him. I have stopped watching ESPN years ago except for the games and I only watch a couple of teams - That being UC and tOSU. I am glad for Sunday Ticket as I can watch the Bengals and I just watch the game. I record the games if I can so I can skip the commercials and half time shows. I tire of politics and also want entertainment from my beloved teams.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

then don't listen to many player's interviews. I stopped. Most are far from experts. I respect everyone's right for n opinion, but I buy channels and journals not for their views but for views on their games and performance. That is why I like CLF and those like him. I have stopped watching ESPN years ago except for the games and I only watch a couple of teams - That being UC and tOSU. I am glad for Sunday Ticket as I can watch the Bengals and I just watch the game. I record the games if I can so I can skip the commercials and half time shows. I tire of politics and also want entertainment from my beloved teams.
                    I pretty much don't watch tv or the videos on websites. If I can't read it in silence during a quick break at my desk, I don't click it.
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

pretty crazy money for what seemed like only a few years old. went hard on top writers paying them well and turned around and sold it for 500M!?! wow

Comment

Just like nothing happened at the Cincinnati Enquirer when Gannett took over.

Comment

If anything they just pumped up their suscriber base numbers. Got an email this morning that the Athletic is now part of the NYT subscription for those who have both. For those people there's a significant cost savings involved.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I pretty much don't watch tv or the videos on websites. If I can't read it in silence during a quick break at my desk, I don't click it.
                            I usually watch the games or read homer sites like 247 and on3. I only watch espn for games which I am interested in and there are very few of them anymore. Of course I like espnplus but just to watch the cats.

Comment

If anyone needs a trial period invite for the Athletic , let me know via PM and shoot me an email address. I have 5 trial passes available
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X