History of Armory Fieldhouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Armory Fieldhouse

Scott Hines (@actioncookbook) spends a little time on Bearcats history in a new newsletter from the Homefield Apparel folks.

https://www.homefieldapparel.com/blo...kin-newsletter
    Last edited by Lobot; 01-12-2022, 06:57 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Great read and brings back some memories.

Comment

I never saw a game there, but as a kid I got Oscar's autograph there. I did see a Gregg Allman solo concert in 1974 when for the encore he brought out the Allman Brothers Band to dampen a rumor that they were breaking up.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
        I never saw a game there, but as a kid I got Oscar's autograph there. I did see a Gregg Allman solo concert in 1974 when for the encore he brought out the Allman Brothers Band to dampen a rumor that they were breaking up.
        Oddly enough, I saw multiple games there because the women’s team played there during the Gardens years. Bev Obringer got the team to the NCAA’s my freshman year.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Saw my first men’s Bearcat basketball game there in 1971. Lloyd Batts and Derick Dickey were the stars. Tay Baker was the coach. Great atmosphere for basketball. Good memories
          ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Many fond memories of Armory Fieldhouse. My first game there was as a high school sophmore where i saw Johnny Howard play. The atmosphere was awsome and that was when I decided to go to UC. BTW I was in the stands when Lloyd Batts joined the 1000 point club.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post
              Saw my first men’s Bearcat basketball game there in 1971. Lloyd Batts and Derick Dickey were the stars. Tay Baker was the coach. Great atmosphere for basketball. Good memories
              I'm in the same season as you Pharfam. My first game was against Ohio U. Close at halftime, UC got the fast break going in the 2nd half leading to a blow out (something like 100-60). Many fond memories. My freshman room in Dabney had a perfect view of the student entrance. So when students started to line up, I could run down to get in line. The place could get LOUD. I remember Al McGuire having to take his Marquette team out to half court during a time out to try to be able to hear each other. Jesse Jemison was another member of that team that was fun to watch.

Comment

Sadly, I do not share in the fond memories. I was in the field house occasionally in the early 90's - mostly using it as a cut through. The building was dark, dirty and extremely dusty. I was told UC track practiced in the building when needing to go indoors, and all I could imagine was how they could run with all the dust being kicked up?

I with I had better memories...

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                  Sadly, I do not share in the fond memories. I was in the field house occasionally in the early 90's - mostly using it as a cut through. The building was dark, dirty and extremely dusty. I was told UC track practiced in the building when needing to go indoors, and all I could imagine was how they could run with all the dust being kicked up?

I with I had better memories...
                  I can't be the only one here who, as a student, lined up to get to see Oscar play, can I? Talk about loud!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X