McMicken Hall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMicken Hall

The petitions and movement to remove McMicken name from the building are moving forward. I cannot defend any reasoning to keep the McMicken name; however, I believe there are several well deserved alumni from which to name the McMicken Hall. The proposed new name is simply Arts and Sciences Hall. There are many distinguished African American men or women or other alumni to learn the history of that person and inspire students. UC has a rich and diverse history well beyond someone from 1819 and not putting a name on this building is a missed opportunity to further share and spread our rich and diverse alumni base. I really hope the bland name doesn't pass and they select someone like Dr. Lucy Oxley, Jennie Davis Porter Ph D, or Henry Malachi Griffin.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    The petitions and movement to remove McMicken name from the building are moving forward. I cannot defend any reasoning to keep the McMicken name; however, I believe there are several well deserved alumni from which to name the McMicken Hall. The proposed new name is simply Arts and Sciences Hall. There are many distinguished African American men or women or other alumni to learn the history of that person and inspire students. UC has a rich and diverse history well beyond someone from 1819 and not putting a name on this building is a missed opportunity to further share and spread our rich and diverse alumni base. I really hope the bland name doesn't pass and they select someone like Dr. Lucy Oxley, Jennie Davis Porter Ph D, or Henry Malachi Griffin.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...me/7747977001/

Comment

Interesting. I get it but didn’t quite expect them to go that far. Somebody’s going to have to go through the fight song verses and rewrite some lyrics as well. Bet they missed that.

edit: Case in point and you have to remember some of the fight songs have multiple verses that don’t get used.

https://gobearcats.com/sports/2017/6...lma-mater.aspx
      Last edited by Lobot; 06-27-2022, 05:46 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I am one who does not like re-writing history not tearing down status. I am not from Ohio and chose UC for an engineering degree. Why do we have to keep renaming buildings? McMicken must have done some good in his life or a building would not be named after him. Our Country is full of dreadful deeds, but it is part of our history. Sorry about my sense of keeping history alive and not bury it.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
          There are many distinguished African American men or women or other alumni to learn the history of that person and inspire students. UC has a rich and diverse history well beyond someone from 1819 and not putting a name on this building is a missed opportunity to further share and spread our rich and diverse history.
          Such an odd way to say it. There are probably many distinguished Asian, Hispanic and white men or women as well. Very bizarre you only specifically called out one race. Leads me to believe you only mean diversity in terms of skin color, but not diversity of thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Such an odd way to say it. There are probably many distinguished Asian, Hispanic and white men or women as well. Very bizarre you only specifically called out one race. Leads me to believe you only mean diversity in terms of skin color, but not diversity of thought.
            I very much intended it that way, yes. Education is key to a person escaping the cycle of poverty and most low income families are overwhelmingly non-white. Yeah, poverty can and does affect everyone equally, but so does intelligence and natural abilities of leadership, entrepaneuership (sp?), business acumen, and the gift of healing others. UC has a rich and diverse field of distinguished alumni and is among the first universities to accept and graduate women (any color),black men, and other people seen as minorities. We are fortunate to have so many heroes and I look forward to many more heroes graduating from our alma mater.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

The University of Cincinnati board of trustees unanimously voted to rename all campus spaces connected to its founder Charles McMicken, as recommended by university president Neville Pinto, during a board meeting Tuesday morning.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...en/7749462001/

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                I am one who does not like re-writing history not tearing down status. I am not from Ohio and chose UC for an engineering degree. Why do we have to keep renaming buildings? McMicken must have done some good in his life or a building would not be named after him. Our Country is full of dreadful deeds, but it is part of our history. Sorry about my sense of keeping history alive and not bury it.
                It is all about being in a mad dash to virtue signal. You see corporations doing it with whatever the latest cause is. I agree with you. Leave the name up and remind people that he owned slaves. Let it turn into a well rounded discussion about his history both good and bad.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X