AAU Membership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAU Membership

It seems as though one big minus to our joining the B1G (besides the obvious objection by TO$U) is membership in the AAU. I did a search and could only come up with hits in 2011. Does anyone have any information as to where we are in the application process or whether there is any serious thought to applying or joining? Indiana and Michigan both have two member schools in the B1G. Why not Ohio?

^ Illinois also has two teams in the B1G. Interestingly, the B1G has been trying to get a 3rd in Indiana for decades.

Comment

And that 3rd in Indiana is not AAU....

Comment

Could someone explain this? I don't understand the reference to the AAU.

Comment

Originally posted by westside bearcat View Post
          Could someone explain this? I don't understand the reference to the AAU.
          I touched on this in another thread. if you're thinking AAU as in basketball it's not the same thing at all. It's the Association of American Universities. UC is not part of this and to date OSU has blocked our entry based on what I know. Here are the current members. It includes all Big 10 schools except Nebraska. Nebraska had some sort of academic and dues issue and got kicked out after they joined the Big 10.

I'd invite you to take a look at list of non Big 10 members that are part of other conferences, say like USC and UCLA (hint)

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It is a snob thing that "elite schools" belong to. The PAC and BIG seem to think that it is the only criteria for inclusion. The elite research institutions that apparently is by invite only. Nebraska was a member when they joined the BIG but somehow lost that disgnation. Association of American Universities (AAU)

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I touched on this in another thread. if you're thinking AAU as in basketball it's not the same thing at all. It's the Association of American Universities. UC is not part of this and to date OSU has blocked our entry based on what I know. Here are the current members. It includes all Big 10 schools except Nebraska. Nebraska had some sort of academic and dues issue and got kicked out after they joined the Big 10.

I'd invite you to take a look at list of non Big 10 members that are part of other conferences, say like USC and UCLA (hint)

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members
              Yes. My understanding is the only reason is not a member is the opposition of Ohio State. You would think people in the statehouse wouldn’t let them get away with that, but nahh. UC conducts significantly more important research than many of the AAU members.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                ^ Illinois also has two teams in the B1G. Interestingly, the B1G has been trying to get a 3rd in Indiana for decades.
                For some reason I keep forgetting Northwestern. Notre Dame ... well ... Stay Tuned.

Comment

This from an article about Clemson joining the B1G: First and foremost, Clemson isn't a member of the Association of American Universities, something the Big Ten values greatly. According to the AAU website, those schools "earn the majority of competitively awarded federal funding for research that improves public health, seeks to address national challenges, and contributes significantly to our economic strength, while educating and training tomorrow’s visionary leaders and innovators."

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X