Cincinnati Chili Bowl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati Chili Bowl

People have joked about this idea for years but apparently it's a real thing now and they want to host it at TQL Stadium.

https://www.fox19.com/2022/12/29/cin...ege-bowl-game/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I heard this on 700 WLW earlier today. Apparently, they need two conferences to commit to being affiliated with the bowl game, NCAA endorsement, and a sponsor. Here is a crazy idea, have all of the local chili companies sponsor it and at halftime, have a chili cook-off.

Comment

Most of the minor Bowls are put on by ESPN Events. This probably won’t go anywhere unless they or the other networks are involved.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Apparently John Kiesewetter just tweeted that the CW is involved and now I’m guessing it won’t fly.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Steer clear of the restrooms at this “bowl” game.

Comment

I have been thinking about this today. It would be nice to have a bowl game here and I might actually attend it. However, the market is already oversaturated and there are never enough teams to fill out the bowl schedule. There just is not enough market space for another bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              I have been thinking about this today. It would be nice to have a bowl game here and I might actually attend it. However, the market is already oversaturated and there are never enough teams to fill out the bowl schedule. There just is not enough market space for another bowl.
              Bowl games come and go all the time. So having another one is not a big deal. You may see the Fenway Bowl or Arizona Bowl or another one disappear by the time this one may start.

Comment

I have been thinking about this today, too.

I am (almost) always for more football, but I don’t think this is a good idea on many levels.

Number one, the plethora of bowls now have multiple 6-6 teams (or worse) playing. This bowl will get a tier below the .500 teams with their league tie-ins. Say what you want about Cincinnati, but they, like most cities, only support winners (or hype).

And Cincinnati is a major league town, and not very knowledgeable about college football. Our media doesn’t support it. The weather reports give Friday night weather reports that tell viewers what it will be like for Sunday’s Bengal games, beginning with tailgate. I’m not sure they even keep a UC schedule handy.

Talk radio is as bad or worse. They mostly talk UC football when we change coaches. UC post game talk quickly turns to Bengal talk. Tony Pike has a Noon show, and when I listen to him I’m not sure he even knows our roster. His show also quickly turns to (or starts with) Bengal talk. And it doesn’t help that his producer is an O$U homer.

The local newspaper, or what’s left of it, covers colleges teams in Columbus, Lexington, and Louisville almost the same as UC (UC gets a local reporter; the others have stories planted by their writers). I attended a function that had the newspaper’s sports edition as a speaker several years ago. He stated that they did a study and their readership had a large number of Louisville fans so that’s why they got the local coverage that they do. Just this week, the E-version of the paper had a pictorial celebration of UoL’s basketball national championship 20 years ago. All this is stated because there are only so many resources and pages available, and UC has to share.

Years ago, the College Football Hall of Fame was located in Kings Mill, OH (Kings Island). Included with that was a poorly attended two year run of the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl/Division III championship game. Our “knowledgeable” local fans didn’t support either and both the Hall and game are now long gone from the Tri-State area.

Financially, Cincinnati is weird. We have several Fortune 500 companies, but it seems as if they don’t want to tie-in with UC. Do they think UC will hurt their brand? This isn’t something I see in other cities. Yum and Papa John didn’t seem to have any problem throwing money at UoL. In Columbus and Lexington every company tries to tie their wagon to the university.

I am not sure how or if the Cincinnati USA Sports Commission supports UC, but their statement in the newspaper that, “Financial support is also needed to move the idea forward, including corporate sponsors”, doesn’t rest easy with me. And neither does the statement, “Proceeds from the Cincinnati Chili Bowl will benefit the Cincinnati USA Sports Commission and will be used to attract new sporting events to the region”.

I am not against change, and the name is cute. But my interest in Cincinnati mostly lies with UC, and resources in Cincinnati seems as if it’s a zero-sum situation and UC, in my opinion, mostly gets the short end of the balance sheet.
                Last edited by Geaux Juan; 12-30-2022, 11:02 AM. Reason: Increased the font size

Comment

^^ Do we know who is on this commission? Seeing as how it's the Lindner family's stadium basically, I'd be shocked if they weren't involved to some extent. If they want this to fly they need to someone better than the CW involved. There is not a single bowl supported by a media channel that small and there's a reason for that. They're shooting really low here.

Seriousness aside, Which coach wants a Skyline bucket shower.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Unfortunately this is paywalled but Matt Brown at Extra Points has interviewed virtually everyone invloved with this thing. ($)

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/cincin...or-kroger-idk/
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

NCAA vetoes Cincinnati Chili Bowl, backers 'remain very interested'

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...a/70990402007/

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X