UC Hockey Team to become D3.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC Hockey Team to become D3.

Not sure why someone else did not catch this. Apparently moving from a club team to a D3 Team. Barstool Cincinnati on Twitter: "BREAKING NEWS: Cincinnati Bearcats to add a new official Division III Hockey Team https://t.co/tSvTzX1Rn5" / Twitter

Fantastic. Grew up watching UC hockey on channel 19 as a kid.

Comment

Who decides what division a team plays in and how? Like if UC wanted to play division 2 baseball could they? Would they be able to jump back anytime. Can they be forced down? I know you can't just move up but what if say a uab moved down to dominate d2 or d3. Why not. It work in high school for Lasalle.

Comment

^^ High school is based on student enrollment and a school can be different divisions for boys and girls because it is based on the attendance of the different sexes. I am not sure about college. I do know that if a team moves up to Div. 1 in basketball, they are not eligible to play in the NCAA tournament for the first couple of years (see NKU) and not eligible for a bowl game in football. I suspect for this particular situation with UC is that you have to have a team for so many years to be classified as D1 but I am just guessing. This move is curious because I do not believe that the Big 12 is a hockey conference. Also, D-3 does not provide scholarships, so I do not believe that this counts against Title IX.

Comment

To move up from D3, UC would have to take economics into consideration. D3 is a non-scholarship level. I'm sure UC will play almost entirely area schools. Travel costs would be minimal, compared even to D2. Getting to D1 would require full funding. We're nowhere near that.

I haven't seen any indication that the school would be interested in advancing to a higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.kenneth noisewater View Post
            Who decides what division a team plays in and how? Like if UC wanted to play division 2 baseball could they? Would they be able to jump back anytime. Can they be forced down? I know you can't just move up but what if say a uab moved down to dominate d2 or d3. Why not. It work in high school for Lasalle.
            I'm not sure who makes the final decision on which level to compete, but some of it has to do with which conference you compete for that sport. While we join the Big 12 for most Olympic and major sports, we can only compete in the Big 12 if it is a sport covered by the conference. This is why Miami plays hockey in a different conference than the MAC and why some SEC schools compete in wrestling with the Big 12.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X