Disney and ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney and ESPN

This isn’t quite TV contract stuff but it will affect the some of the broadcast rights situation to some extent.

Front Office Sports is reporting that Disney is shopping around its equity stake in ESPN right now and is also looking to divest its cable networks and ABC. This all came in an interview with CEO Bob Iger yesterday.

I mentioned this in another thread but down the line, the ESPN properties will probably become a streaming only property and sold separately directly to consumers.

This probably means if you’re like me and have a Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle, it’ll get unbundled at some point.
    Last edited by Lobot; 07-16-2023, 10:33 AM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

I kind of see Disney and ESPN going the route of Bud light. They have forgotten their core market and have turned to politics. People do not want their icons to become political, we just want them to continue to do what they do best. Both Disney and ESPN have left behind what they do best. I just hope that they return to what created them as the best.

Comment

I get your point but I don’t think it’s relevant here.

What’s relevant is that they’re about to lose 54% of cable carriage fees this year and streaming numbers bring them nothing in comparison. Huge financial loss for Disney.

https://twitter.com/robsportstalkfl/...974450177?s=46
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Is that 54% to date, or 54% of the current number of subscribers?

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
          Is that 54% to date, or 54% of the current number of subscribers?
          If I'm reading the tweet right, the 54% is US Cable subscribers as a whole. That percentage of current cable households is expected to cut the cord this year. Probably not a 1:1 to carriage fees but close enough.

That's not just a problem for ESPN. It's going to be the cable news channels, etc as well. Any channel existing on carriage fees is going to get hammered this year based on this estimate.
          Last edited by Lobot; 07-16-2023, 10:32 AM.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here’s a better write up on the Disney issues from Bloomberg. Scroll down a bit for the related section.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...sney-yard-sale
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks like somewthing is brewing with ESPN. It appears that either Apple or Amazon will be taking at least a partial stake in ESPN streaming services. Apple apparently wants the whole thing.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                Looks like somewthing is brewing with ESPN. It appears that either Apple or Amazon will be taking at least a partial stake in ESPN streaming services. Apple apparently wants the whole thing.
                I hope EPSN+ can continiue as a stand alone subscription. I haven't tried AppleTV, and not inclined to do so. Anyone have any AppleTV reviews to share? Any comparisons to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or others?
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I hope EPSN+ can continiue as a stand alone subscription. I haven't tried AppleTV, and not inclined to do so. Anyone have any AppleTV reviews to share? Any comparisons to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or others?
                  I'm totally fine with AppleTV and + but I'm a Apple ecosystem household mostly so consider that. Just to be clear AppleTV is more than one thing. It's a streaming box and an app. If you have a newer Smart TV (LG and others) it's probably already on your TV set in the included apps and you don't need the streaming box.

Apple TV+ is a subscription service and that is where I suspect the Sports programming will go. It's about $7/month which is on par with ESPN+

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I'm totally fine with AppleTV and + but I'm a Apple ecosystem household mostly so consider that. Just to be clear AppleTV is more than one thing. It's a streaming box and an app. If you have a newer Smart TV (LG and others) it's probably already on your TV set in the included apps and you don't need the streaming box.

Apple TV+ is a subscription service and that is where I suspect the Sports programming will go. It's about $7/month which is on par with ESPN+

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/
                    I have it. Most of their content is presented in 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos sound. I have no idea if sports content could be provided like that, but picture quality would be a far cry beyond ESPN+.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

I have it. Most of their content is presented in 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos sound. I have no idea if sports content could be provided like that, but picture quality would be a far cry beyond ESPN+.
                      This might be something an FCC fan can answer for us since Apple has the MLS contract right now. Anybody?
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

According to the WSJ, Disney just purchased the minority ownership of Hulu from Comcast for $8.61B. Disney now owns the whole thing. I would expect price increases for Disney services and maybe a spin off of ESPN with a a new partner. Amazon and Apple are players for ESPN.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Disney will start testing a combined Disney+ and Hulu app soon. Merged app should launch in Spring 2024.

I would expect them to unbundle ESPN+ when this happens and go direct to consumer with it for more money of course
                          Last edited by Lobot; 11-08-2023, 07:09 PM.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X