Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are college athletics as we knew them dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are college athletics as we knew them dead?

Interesting article. Not very encouraging for the future of college sports.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...head-for-ncaa/

Originally posted by bba_1979 View Post
    Interesting article. Not very encouraging for the future of college sports.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...head-for-ncaa/
    "I don't know if they can pay that. In terms of the model going forward, assuming plaintiffs end up winning, schools would be able to pay athletes directly. It would eliminate all restrictions."

If that happens, I'm out, done with college sports.

Eliminating all restrictions may also mean that athletes may not even have to be students anymore. We know there are schools that would take advantage of that, and more.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-05-2023, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

"I don't know if they can pay that. In terms of the model going forward, assuming plaintiffs end up winning, schools would be able to pay athletes directly. It would eliminate all restrictions."

If that happens, I'm out, done with college sports.

Eliminating all restrictions may also mean that athletes may not even have to be students anymore. We know there are schools that would take advantage of that, and more.
      It's happening IMO. So yes, college athletics is going to burn to the ground because of this case. The NCAA will be bankrupt and they are a dead man walking at this point as a governing body and probably deserve it.

I wanted to post a different article about this case from Sportico and it was so heavily paywalled that I gave up. Looks like Dodd heavily cribbed from that article right down to talking to Tom Mars.

If you want a "bright" side to this, it finally gets the college sports model out of the higher education system. We may be heading towards the model of club teams and organizations here. I wouldn't be surprised to see that model trickle down to high school sports in the end. I don't like it because I'm invested in UC sports as a fan but it's actually a better model. if they're going to blow it all up, blow it up all the way.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

It's happening IMO. So yes, college athletics is going to burn to the ground because of this case. The NCAA will be bankrupt and they are a dead man walking at this point as a governing body and probably deserve it.

I wanted to post a different article about this case from Sportico and it was so heavily paywalled that I gave up. Looks like Dodd heavily cribbed from that article right down to talking to Tom Mars.

If you want a "bright" side to this, it finally gets the college sports model out of the higher education system. We may be heading towards the model of club teams and organizations here. I wouldn't be surprised to see that model trickle down to high school sports in the end. I don't like it because I'm invested in UC sports as a fan but it's actually a better model. if they're going to blow it all up, blow it up all the way.
        Like I said, at that point I’m done.

Comment

The NCAA will be bankrupt and they are a dead man walking at this point as a governing body and probably deserve it.
          Probably deserve it? GTFOH.

MoNey has complicated/destroyed the NCAA. The ability for colleges and athletes to earn this much money is mostly because of 100 years of brand building, capital investment and organizational growth…a lot of the money that allowed that growth was from private donors, tax payer dollars (at public schools) and allocation from the General (tuition) Fund. None of the current opportunities exist without all of that.

I’m all about everyone maximizing their earning potential…but there has to be rules (just like the pro leagues). And they can show some freaking appreciation for everyone who came before them and created these conditions.

Comment

I find that the majority of people have no idea what is going on. They have never heard of NIL or the transfer portal. They do not normally watch sports but they follow the scores. I have a couple of UC co-ops and they do not know anything about all of this. It will be years before the total breakdown will happen. My wife is a good example of this lack of knowledge. She typically goes to all of the games with me and knows where UC sits in the standings but she does not know anything beyond that. My dad used to complain about how college sports were heading back in the 70's. If he could see it now, he would be rolling over in his grave.

At my last job, the entire office were tosu fans just because of the location but none of them had ever attended tosu. They had no idea about TV revenue or media rights. They thought that everything was an even playing field and that tosu was just so much better operating in it. They also thought that UC was about 15,000 in enrollment.
            Last edited by bearcatbret; 11-05-2023, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Prior to becoming a Bearcat, growing up in the Dayton, Ohio area, I was a huge UD Flyer fan. I still am. Married into a very connected UD athletics family. I’m very concerned for schools like UD who have a very strong and proud basketball history. What happens to them and others like them? And while we have much greater concerns on the world stage, this whole situation makes me ill.

Comment

Here's a nice breakdown of the House v. NCAA case from Steve Berkowitz at USA Today. $4.2 Billion in potential damages is a lot of money.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a/71444496007/
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The answer is now yes.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...t-getting-paid
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here is a solution. Instead of providing scholarships and at those schools listed in the article have to be a lifetime mortgage, the schools should just give them the cash instead of tuition and allow the students to make choices.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                      Here is a solution. Instead of providing scholarships and at those schools listed in the article have to be a lifetime mortgage, the schools should just give them the cash instead of tuition and allow the students to make choices.
                      Bret, I think from a legal standpoint, players are headed to school employee status. There is no student anymore with the direction this is headed. If they choose to spend the money on being a student now or later, that's up to them. The schools and NCAA can't restrict how they spend the money, It's an antitrust issue.

What the schools can do is write things into the employment contract like conduct clauses. There's also going to be language in any insurance policies taken out by the players and what they can and can't do as acceptable risk like riding Jet-skis in the off season, etc.
                      Last edited by Lobot; 12-07-2023, 06:05 PM.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Bret, I think from a legal standpoint, players are headed to school employee status. There is no student anymore with the direction this is headed. If they choose to spend the money on being a student now or later, that's up to them. The schools and NCAA can't restrict how they spend the money, It's an antitrust issue.

What the schools can do is write things into the employment contract like conduct clauses. There's also going to be language in any insurance policies taken out by the players and what they can and can't do as acceptable risk like riding Jet-skis in the off season, etc.
                        So they won’t have to go to class. Goodbye APR. Why should an employee only get only 4 years? If they’re employees at 20, why not be employees at 30? Schools can write those clauses, but it seems they won’t be required to.

Comment

It was sarcasm. I was a college athlete in one of the Olympic sports. We competed because we loved to and most of us did not get scholarships. Those without scholarships, kept the team GPA up. We got to travel to the teams in the Metro (FSU and S. Carolina were the best. Vtech sucked). Got to see some world class athletes compete. It was fun. I have always been opposed to players getting paid because the key sports, get their scholarships, get to travel, get an education and that should be pay enough.

I hate the whole NIL, pay for play and the way college sports has gone. I see these lawsuits and they are from minor players in minor sports. In the real world, if you do not like the company you work for, you change jobs. If they do not like what they are doing, change careers. Get over it.

However, we have gone past the point of no return, and it will destroy college sports. I have already quit watching pro sports. The last hope of sports was college and it is now dead.

Something close to some of you, should the band members now be paid? The dance team, the cheerleaders?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

It was sarcasm. I was a college athlete in one of the Olympic sports. We competed because we loved to and most of us did not get scholarships. Those without scholarships, kept the team GPA up. We got to travel to the teams in the Metro (FSU and S. Carolina were the best. Vtech sucked). Got to see some world class athletes compete. It was fun. I have always been opposed to players getting paid because the key sports, get their scholarships, get to travel, get an education and that should be pay enough.

I hate the whole NIL, pay for play and the way college sports has gone. I see these lawsuits and they are from minor players in minor sports. In the real world, if you do not like the company you work for, you change jobs. If they do not like what they are doing, change careers. Get over it.

However, we have gone past the point of no return, and it will destroy college sports. I have already quit watching pro sports. The last hope of sports was college and it is now dead.

Something close to some of you, should the band members now be paid? The dance team, the cheerleaders?
                            Sorry. Didn't catch the sarcasm in that one and I think it's because I've seen media and legal talking heads calling for exactly what you originally mentioned.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X