No announcement yet.

NCAA Legal thread for 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the emphasis on no pay-4-play NIL deals. ALthough, if we go to employee status for athletes...it's all out the window.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      I like the emphasis on no pay-4-play NIL deals. ALthough, if we go to employee status for athletes...it's all out the window.
      That is going to upset a whole lot of tenured professors when the "student-athletes" are making more than they do. I wonder if they are employees, will they be required to sign a contract that includes a buy-out clause much like for coaches?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

That is going to upset a whole lot of tenured professors when the "student-athletes" are making more than they do. I wonder if they are employees, will they be required to sign a contract that includes a buy-out clause much like for coaches?
        I think the contract thing is most definitely in play, complete with behavior clauses and incentives etc. Fortunately for players, the FTC ruled non complete clauses illegal today.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Revenue sharing with the "student-athlete". I wonder if this only applies only to the SEC and B1G and if it only applies to football and basketball players. The Olympic sports lose money so there is not revenue for those sports. The Group of 5 lose money so how can they share revenue? One article references the Power 5. SEC, Big Ten developing plan to share revenue with players in potential landmark change to college athletics (msn.com)

Comment

I have a new one to tack on to this thread.

4 US Senators have signed a letter asking Homeland Security to clear up the mess between student visas and work requirements for foreign athletes. Making changes here would allow foreiregn athletes to earn NIL. I think this was prompted by Zach Edey's inability to earn NIL because he's Canadian. Victor Lakhin would have also benefitted if this were already in effect.

Here's the text , I left off the signatures but it's Senators Blumenthal, Murphy, Capito and Ricketts.

Dear Secretary Mayorkas,

We write to request information about the status of the Department of Homeland
            Security’s (DHS) commitments to provide legal clarity for international students participating in
            collegiate athletics.

Since July 2021, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has maintained a
            policy to allow college athletes to monetize their name, image, and likeness (NIL), bringing the
            NCAA into line with laws passed by dozens of states and federal court rulings. These changes
            recognized that past policies limiting students’ economic rights were unnecessary and unfair —
            hindering students from benefiting from their hard work.

While many students have rightfully benefitted from these new opportunities,
            international college athletes and college athletic programs face a credible risk that even the most
            basic NIL deal could violate the work restrictions of the F-1 visa. DHS could clarify that the F-1
            visa program does not prevent a student from engaging in NIL related activities, securing college
            athletes’ economic opportunities and easing concerns that students and schools might run afoul
            of the law. Unfortunately, the tens of thousands of international students competing in NCAA
            competitions have been deprived of these economic opportunities because of a lack of guidance
            on, or changes to, the conditions of their student visas by DHS.

Last year, in Senate oversight hearings and in response to a previous letter requesting
            guidance and rulemaking, you committed to moving as quickly as you can on providing these
            important protections for foreign college athletes. Unfortunately, despite that commitment to
            move quickly, DHS still has not updated its rules a year later. As a result, international students
            have gone another year without legal protections or clarity, leading star athletes to turn down
            opportunities, go through extreme hoops to stay in good standing with their visas, or consider
            leaving school.

We request a written update on what steps DHS has taken to follow through on your
            commitment to protect those international college athletes and schools that seek to benefit from
            the blood, sweat, and tears they put into their sport.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Last edited by Lobot; Yesterday, 09:04 PM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

They might about to settle the House case. I haven't digested all this yet but here you go. A 2.7 Billion settlement seems like a lot even for the NCAA.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...t-case-vs-ncaa

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-would-...124301018.html
              Last edited by Lobot; Yesterday, 09:07 PM.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X