Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tony Trabert

Marion Anthony Trabert
    International Tennis Hall of Famer (1970)
    August 16, 1930 to February 3, 2021

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tony...-obituary-2021
    Trabert became the first player in history to win three consecutive Ohio singles championships. He was offered scholarships at leading West Coast universities, but decided to stay at home, enrolling at the University of Cincinnati, where he studied political science. Trabert won the 1951 NCAA Singles Championship and started as a guard for the Bearcats basketball team, which won the Mid-American Conference championship and played in the National Invitation Tournament. By continually working on his movement and fitness, he kept at a playing weight of 185lbs.

https://www.tennisfame.com/news/2021...m-tony-trabert
    In 1951, he clinched the NCAA singles championships for the University of Cincinnati, where he was also a starter on the basketball team.

From Wikipedia:
    Trabert was a stand-out athlete in tennis and basketball at the University of Cincinnati, and was a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity. In 1951, he won the NCAA Championship Singles title. He played doubles with Bob Mault and was coached by George Menefee, who later became the head trainer for the Los Angeles Rams. Trabert was also a starter on the basketball team at the University of Cincinnati. Previously, at Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati, he had been State Singles Champion three times and played guard on the 1948 basketball team that won the District Championship.
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 02-04-2021, 01:58 PM.

He was a great Bearcat & person. He will be missed. RIP!

Comment

I'm too young for his playing days outside of replay clips and highlights. I definitely remember him as the color analyst on CBS for Grand Slam tournaments among others. Great ambassador of the game.

Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

HUGE in the tennis world and should arguably have a Big O type statue or near the tennis courts. Was dominant and a continuing ambassador for his sport as maybe any other Bearcat other than Oscar. As I type this, I’m sure you guys will have other examples to challenge this that I’m just not thinking about.

Comment

GoBearcats now has a writeup and links posted.

https://gobearcats.com/news/2021/2/4...1930-2021.aspx
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by steveedwards View Post
            HUGE in the tennis world and should arguably have a Big O type statue or near the tennis courts. Was dominant and a continuing ambassador for his sport as maybe any other Bearcat other than Oscar. As I type this, I’m sure you guys will have other examples to challenge this that I’m just not thinking about.
            sometimes i feel like a lousy alumni...this is one of those times. i saw trabert getting tweets from the likes of billie jean king, etc and i had no idea who he was - much less a local UC guy. the more i read about him, the more i'm inclined to agree with the above...

Comment

Just found where Trabert won the Cincinnati Masters tournament twice and was runner up once in the 50s. This is the same tournament that eventually became the ATP tourney in Mason. It was an invitational when Trabert won it.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I follow tennis. He really was a big deal. He won the French Open in 1955 and was the last American to win it until 1989 when Michael Chang won.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X