X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Ono

Expected to be announced Wednesday as the next president at Michigan
    https://twitter.com/johnubacon/statu...0CA4VnCVvaM9jw

I liked him while he was here and was sad when he left for his "Dream Job" back in his native Canada. It's sad to see more and more folks jump for bucks and prestige (cough, Brian Kelly, cough).

Comment

Have to admit I didn’t see this coming. I never thought he’d leave UBC to be honest.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Official: https://twitter.com/UMich/status/1547270807671361537

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
          I liked him while he was here and was sad when he left for his "Dream Job" back in his native Canada. It's sad to see more and more folks jump for bucks and prestige (cough, Brian Kelly, cough).
          2006 Mick Cronin accepted dream job at UC, left 2019 for UCLA
          2010 Brian Kelley accepted dream job at ND, left 2022 for LSU
          2016 Santa Ono accepted dream job UBC, left 2022 for Michigan

It's all about the money.

Comment

This may not be the most popular opinion-but this move makes sense for him (speaking not as a sports/UC fan, but as someone in academia in a related discipline). Unlike many university admins/presidents, he is the real deal as a scientist and researcher. While some of that has had to go by the wayside as he has become more administrative, he is still an academic at heart-and Michigan is pretty elite academically and research, including in areas of his particular interest. To be transparent, I have both worked with him professionally and lived near him-he is quite impressive in his field, and was a great ambassador for the University in all aspects (including obviously at games, but also when people interacted with hiim at the grocery store, in academic meetings, etc). I suspect that the UBC job just didn't work out quite as well as he hoped, and Michigan is a destination job for academics. I wish him well-he still reps the Cats and I expect he will continue to do so!

Comment

Great stuff Longtime Lurker

Comment

All good points, by all, but I think his leaving had a great deal to do with the Samuel DuBose situation. I sensed that took a lot of the wind out of his sails here.

Comment

Definitely agreed regarding Samuel DuBose.

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                    All good points, by all, but I think his leaving had a great deal to do with the Samuel DuBose situation. I sensed that took a lot of the wind out of his sails here.
                    Definitely had a lot to do with it. The Samuel Dubose situation wasn’t directly his fault, but as the boss he owned it, and took responsibility for it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X