Ivan Pace Jr.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

ahh top 5????????????????????????????????????/ Greg Cook, Brig Owens, Jackie Lee, Travis Kelce, John Wiethe, Alex Gordon, Sauce, Joe Morrison, Karl Yli-Renko, Al Nelson, Ray Nolthing, Jim Kelly, Jim O'Brien, Kevin Huber maybe Danny Barlett and Gino, Isaiah Pead, Colby Bryant, Artrell Hawkins, Mel Jenkins. Ron Kostelnik, Sam Garnes - Great player was Pace, but not top 5-----
    Don't forget Jason Kelce
    Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 01-07-2023, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Y'know as i go through that list, I have a hard time confidently saying he's not top 5. All great players in their own right, but not consensus All Americans. Travis may wind up being the most decorated all time but thats for what he has done as a pro, not his college career. Like they say in my part of the country, the only guy who could ever stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith.
      For arguments sake, I think my top 5 would be Cook, Brig, Sauce, Morrison and Gino. Pace would lead the next group. We can make a case for most of these guys but Pace is closer to 5 than 15.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
        Y'know as i go through that list, I have a hard time confidently saying he's not top 5. All great players in their own right, but not consensus All Americans. Travis may wind up being the most decorated all time but thats for what he has done as a pro, not his college career. Like they say in my part of the country, the only guy who could ever stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith.
        For arguments sake, I think my top 5 would be Cook, Brig, Sauce, Morrison and Gino. Pace would lead the next group. We can make a case for most of these guys but Pace is closer to 5 than 15.
        Ray Nolting, although before our time, was special. Jackie Lee too. Pace got noticed in part because of the success of the previous year's Cats. Some of the others did not have that national exposure. Pace was great and I am glad that he became a Cat. Would he have been All-American if he was still at Miami?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
          People don’t know it but Ivan was a fantastic running back in high school at Colerain. Ivan will be remembered as perhaps the greatest player ever at Colerain, and in the top five greatest players ever at UC. Good luck to him in the NFL!

B.C.
          Is the criteria for Top 5 what they did in college or the success of a pro career? Some of the players listed in this thread have had very successful and long pro careers but aren't even in the UC Ring of Honor (which needs to be updated). I don't see Brad Jackson or Trent Cole or Brent Celek listed anywhere if we're going with pro careers.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Yea the college list vs the pro list probably wouldn't contain the same guys. We probably don't have many guys that would be real candidates for top 5 on both.

Comment

I have to admit my all time favorite Bearcat, perhaps not the best, was Joe Morrison. I liked his grandson too. I think Mike Mickens would be my second followed by Isaiah Pead.

Comment

Mardy Gilyard would definitely be in my top 5 "College" player. Anytime he touched the ball he had the chance to go the length of the field. Everyone remembers the Pike To Binns but it was Mardy who brought us back in that game and he should get more credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                  Mardy Gilyard would definitely be in my top 5 "College" player. Anytime he touched the ball he had the chance to go the length of the field. Everyone remembers the Pike To Binns but it was Mardy who brought us back in that game and he should get more credit.
                  Absolutely. The play before the pass to Bins, Pike was flushed out of the pocket, and Mardy broke out of his route and ran 1000 miles an hour toward Tony, who saw him and completed he pass for a big gain. A sack there and maybe we don't win. Next play was legendary.

Comment

Where does Derek Wolfe rank? DeGuara?

Comment

Not to detract from Gino or Des but Greg Cook was the best quarterback to ever play for UC. He would have had a great NFL career if not for his shoulder injury. In fact, if he had that injury 20 years later, he would have been as good as new in two seasons. Sad story.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
                        Not to detract from Gino or Des but Greg Cook was the best quarterback to ever play for UC. He would have had a great NFL career if not for his shoulder injury. In fact, if he had that injury 20 years later, he would have been as good as new in two seasons. Sad story.
                        agree 100% . Many never saw Cook play and he played with rules not as favorable to the passing game as today. Brig was second best.

Comment

I was glad to see the mention of Brad Jackson; he was stellar at UC. Another linebacker not mentioned prior is Mike Woods. He was 1st team All-America in 1977. Unfortunately, his life was cut short in a "wrong place at the wrong time" incident.

Comment

Ivan just picked up an NFL Combine invite.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

@dpbrugler: The most intriguing prospect at the Senior Bowl might be #Cincinnati LB Ivan Pace. Dominant downhill. Quick-footed and smooth in drills. His size (5-10, 30 3/4” arms) creates some limitations, but SR Bowl practices and his 2022 tape show a good football player.

Comment

He was an absolute beast for UC in 2022. He doesn’t fit the physical traits of an NFL LB but his play certainly does. I’ll be interested to see if he gets drafted. Best wishes to him either way.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X