Ill bring it up Cronin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ill bring it up Cronin

UCLA is having a early season let down that they may not recover from. this is a program that fires coaches that routinely make sweet 16's. I cant see ole Mick making it past this season with out making atleast that kind of run..... It does not look like he will even make the tournament.... The "letters on his new college shirt" must not have the glimmer that he thought they had when he took the job, yeah some bad luck with back outs to play G-league and some injuries here and there. the last two recruiting classes hes had have been not at the "UCLA standard" looking more like the guys he was getting here ratings.... I would expect UCLA to routinely get top 10 to 20 talent recruits not fishing for 4 stars or less
    L

Perhaps Cronin could be Louisville's next head coach to be fired.

Comment

I am interested to see what happens. Cronin has refused to pay players to come to UCLA and is bringing in a lot of overseas talent instead. I think he has a down year, but similar to UC, will routinely keep players for 3 years and develop them. He wants guys who want to be there, not just players who want a paycheck. Similar to football, the portal and pay to play has ruined college athletics.

Comment

From articles I've read, Cronin didn't refuse to pay NIL rather NIL money was not available to offer.

Recently, a UCLA beat writer for the LA Times asked Cronin if a loss like this makes him question roster construction. To this, he replied, “We did what we could do. Is your question, ‘Did we try to get older transfers?’ Absolutely. So did the Reds, but the Dodgers get them.”
        What’s The NIL Status At UCLA?

Comment

Pardon while I laugh in USC $
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have to laugh at all of this. I had been off-line for most of Saturday and Sunday due to a trip to Nashville. My wife asked me what I thought about getting Mick Cronin back to UC. First, I said that I did not think it was time to be talking about a new coach. Then I said that I thought Mick would be out as head coach at UCLA soon. She asked me why. I told her that he signed up to be in the PAC 12 and now he is going to have to be traveling to the midwest for all of his conference games in the Big 10 and it will be tough on his team. I also stated that UCLA sucks this year and that the boosters may get him fired. The reason that I find this thread funny is that we were talking about it before this thread was even posted.

So, I suspect that he will be out as soon as 2026.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              I have to laugh at all of this. I had been off-line for most of Saturday and Sunday due to a trip to Nashville. My wife asked me what I thought about getting Mick Cronin back to UC. First, I said that I did not think it was time to be talking about a new coach. Then I said that I thought Mick would be out as head coach at UCLA soon. She asked me why. I told her that he signed up to be in the PAC 12 and now he is going to have to be traveling to the midwest for all of his conference games in the Big 10 and it will be tough on his team. I also stated that UCLA sucks this year and that the boosters may get him fired. The reason that I find this thread funny is that we were talking about it before this thread was even posted.

So, I suspect that he will be out as soon as 2026.
              I figured others would be thinking about this,
              I looked at UCLA as a money grab school at best with how the boosters have ran good coaches out of town with even making recent sweet 16's. I dont think John Wooden himself would survive the wrath of the boosters lol
              Mick probably would have been better off leaving for the UNLV job than the UCLA..... Probably would have been better staying here than anything....but its his life, his dreams, Im sure when UNC comes calling we will be replacing Wes.....
              L

Comment

As long as H. Davis is doing good we need not worry about CWM leaving. Besides I'm predicting Cronin to Loserville to replace the present interim.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  As long as H. Davis is doing good we need not worry about CWM leaving. Besides I'm predicting Cronin to Loserville to replace the present interim.
                  The existing ACC schools are in deep trouble with the addition of Sanford, Cal and SMU. Those three basketball powerhouses will rule the ACC. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Joco45215 View Post

I figured others would be thinking about this,
                    I looked at UCLA as a money grab school at best with how the boosters have ran good coaches out of town with even making recent sweet 16's. I dont think John Wooden himself would survive the wrath of the boosters lol
                    Mick probably would have been better off leaving for the UNLV job than the UCLA..... Probably would have been better staying here than anything....but its his life, his dreams, Im sure when UNC comes calling we will be replacing Wes.....
                    i think that cronin was set on leaving uc, come **** or high water. he was, what, the 7th or 8th guy that ucla talked to / offered the job to. mick came off, to me, as just desparate to leave uc. ucls was more a means to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.H. View Post

i think that cronin was set on leaving uc, come **** or high water. he was, what, the 7th or 8th guy that ucla talked to / offered the job to. mick came off, to me, as just desparate to leave uc. ucls was more a means to an end.
                      Bohn screwed Cronin over more than a little bit in contract negotiations, so yeah Cronin was out of here. Plus, I don't think the fan base ever really got past the Huggins era. Cronin was never accepted completely and couldn't live up to the level of success that Huggins had for more than a few reasons. None of those reasons are particularly Cronin's fault ,IMO. It was just a perfect storm of stuff the program was dealing with with conference changes, etc.

All that said, I always felt like Bohn was a good guy as AD. As we later found out, looks can be very deceiving. He screwed over UC on his way out the door with Brannen because the Title IX office was closing in on him. The UC Admin should have never let him make that hire.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Plus, I don't think the fan base ever really got past the Huggins era. Cronin was never accepted completely and couldn't live up to the level of success that Huggins had for more than a few reasons.
                        People forget that Huggins made only one Sweet 16 in his last 9 years here, and no further.

Comment

Huggins & Cronin had more than defensive mindedness in common-they both lost many tournament games to lower seeds.

Comment

For Huggins, I think there was a change in recruiting because he got is original talent from the JuCo ranks. Or maybe after other coaches saw his success, they took in all of the good recruits. Something changed though.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                              For Huggins, I think there was a change in recruiting because he got is original talent from the JuCo ranks. Or maybe after other coaches saw his success, they took in all of the good recruits. Something changed though.
                              AAU changed things, it became bigger than the high school game....... Mick was really good at finding talent during this time.....he found the guys the were under the radar....what hurt Mick was when the recruiting went heavy on the internet....no as much under the radar recruits with the net blowing everyone up hype wise.......now the NIL is changing things again.......
                              L

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X