Kerry Coombs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Coombs

I struggled with where to put this thread, and even though the answer to where is Kerry is on the UC sidelines, he's on his second stint since his time as a former Colerain coaching legend and assistant under BK then BJ. Kerry is a great recruiter and motivator, but I question both his ability to teach good DB technique and his current relevance to local recruiting. I wish there was a way to keep Kerry on staff to recruit and have his overall hardnosed winning attitude, and also have a secondary coach to teach kids to turn to look for the ball, plus wrap up to make a tackle instead of going for the hard shoulder bump.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Is Coombs coaching DBs not to look for the ball and not wrap up to tackle? How do we know this falls solely on him? That could be the way some DBs are taught to play or they are not physical enough to play otherwise. I noticed that a lot last year among many defensive players not only the DBs. Outstanding defenders tackle and lesser defenders try other techniques. I’m not saying Coombs is not to blame but just that we don’t know where the fault lies. I suspect it is on the players and the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      I struggled with where to put this thread, and even though the answer to where is Kerry is on the UC sidelines, he's on his second stint since his time as a former Colerain coaching legend and assistant under BK then BJ. Kerry is a great recruiter and motivator, but I question both his ability to teach good DB technique and his current relevance to local recruiting. I wish there was a way to keep Kerry on staff to recruit and have his overall hardnosed winning attitude, and also have a secondary coach to teach kids to turn to look for the ball, plus wrap up to make a tackle instead of going for the hard shoulder bump.
      I noticed this last year as well. I truly do not know the strategy in what was coached last year. When Kerry was in his final year with Fickell in the season where he interim coached the Fenway Bowl, the DBs did look for the ball if I remember correctly. The last time I saw DB play like last season and shoulder tackling like last season was in the Tuberville era under Clinkscale. The tackling issue was one of the first things Fickell's crew cleaned up when they came aboard. You have wonder if some of the "don't look for the ball" technique is just preventative to keep subpar DBs from giving up big plays. Both the Tuberville DBs and last year's Satterfield DBs had talent issues due to roster issues and injuries. No one expected Justin Harris to be out there all the time last season but Sammy Anderson got hurt.

I'm curious if some of the folks that are also tOSU fans remember what Coombs teaching methods were at OSU before he moved to the Titans with Vrabel.

Speaking of Sammy, he landed at Charlotte after going into the transfer portal. I'm not entirely sure they've cleared him to play after his concussion issues last season.
      Last edited by Lobot; 06-25-2024, 04:54 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The "Don't Look for the Ball" technique is arguably worst as it results in two instances. The receiver catches the ball with very little effort, or the DB gets flagged for PI after mauling the WR. Unless the ball is so poorly thrown and it magically bounces off the back of the DB's helmet forfeiting an easy INT, it's the most frustrating way to watch pass defense. It's happened with Kerry's position coaching under every staff. I don't watch too much buckeye football but the general complaint for the DB's was similar from the OSU fans I have to suffer around. For the first half last season, a throw to Harris's coverage was a minimum 15-yard PI if not a catch for more. It was one of the biggest contributors to the Miami loss. However, even if Kerry is coaching it, you have to question a head coach who doesn't pull him aside and tell him to change. Furthermore, if he simply can't coach it, you need to position him to his strengths.

IMHO his strengths are probably more aligned with hyping the spirit squad. I'm not a big Kerry fan. He seems like a fine human, and I admire his attitude and guidance to our kids. He just seems like his time has come and gone. He seems too old, out of touch and totally misplaced at this point in his career.
        Last edited by Big_Daddy_Bearcat_07; 06-26-2024, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Daddy_Bearcat_07 View Post
          The "Don't Look for the Ball" technique is arguably worst as it results in two instances. The receiver catches the ball with very little effort, or the DB gets flagged for PI after mauling the WR. Unless the ball is so poorly thrown and it magically bounces off the back of the DB's helmet forfeiting an easy INT, it's the most frustrating way to watch pass defense. It's happened with Kerry's position coaching under every staff. I don't watch too much buckeye football but the general complaint for the DB's was similar from the OSU fans I have to suffer around. For the first half last season, a throw to Harris's coverage was a minimum 15-yard PI if not a catch for more. It was one of the biggest contributors to the Miami loss. However, even if Kerry is coaching it, you have to question a head coach who doesn't pull him aside and tell him to change. Furthermore, if he simply can't coach it, you need to position him to his strengths.

IMHO his strengths are probably more aligned with hyping the spirit squad. I'm not a big Kerry fan. He seems like a fine human, and I admire his attitude and guidance to our kids. He just seems like his time has come and gone. He seems to Bearcat Football what Joe Biden is to the Democratic party currently.
          Please keep the politics out of here.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Please keep the politics out of here.
            agreed 10 characters
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X