Payton Sparks Transfer C

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payton Sparks Transfer C

Sparks was MAC freshman of the year at Ball State this past season. He's a 6'9, 240lb Center who averaged 8.5 Rebounds per game in his freshman season. The staff has reached at to him as a possible transfer.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Yes, yes and yes. Big lunch pail kid that gets to the ft line mucho. Missing piece for a long time. We'll take two if we could get them.

Comment

Sparks chose to enter the portal after Ball State fired their longtime HC. They lost four players prior to this season to the portal, with more leaving during the year.

He was a lightly recruited 2* coming out of high school.

Here's a local article on his departure:

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/s...ks/7063954001/

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes all hands on deck for this young man.

Comment

It is a buyers market for big men. We better have the buying power of NIL money as PT is taken for granted wherever he goes.

Comment

Coach and Rufus, what are you basing your high opinion on? Have you seen him play or film. He's intriguing for sure but I don't want to take another leap of faith based just on numbers against lower level competition. We have proven that theory to be risky with our failed experiment with Rap.

Comment

How did he go from an underrecruited 2* to someone we have to have in 1 year?

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                How did he go from an underrecruited 2* to someone we have to have in 1 year?
                coaching, muscle, desire, maturity - who knows. I have seen many low rated and lower conference players do well. I think CWM knows the honeymoon on transfers is over, he has had time to recruit them and evaluate them. The Cats need BB players and not bodies. They also need NIL money and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                  Coach and Rufus, what are you basing your high opinion on? Have you seen him play or film. He's intriguing for sure but I don't want to take another leap of faith based just on numbers against lower level competition. We have proven that theory to be risky with our failed experiment with Rap.

RedDog, I am right there with you in the disappointing results of last year but Im basing my "faith" on four things. # 1 we had no one able, string enough, nor WILLING to mix it up under the rim for rebounds. So any one coming in it 6''9" is a boost. #2 he was freshman of the year because of his rebounding not scoring. Even if it is the MAC anyone willing to mix it up and fight for rebounds and put backs is exactly what we need on this team. We seen an enormous amount of one shot possessions coming from basically three players this year and I can only recall MAYBE a handful of putbacks and tip ins , not to mention no o
                  inside game at all. So "# 3 he is listed as a center so that says he has a post up resume. If its not him fine but lets get one that does. And # 4 here's hoping he has a chip on this shoulders for being under recruited. A guy with that mindset with the monster factory behind him could just be the ticket.

Comment

I would wait till the first weekend of the tourney was up before I jump on a guy unless the work has been done and this guy was targeted. Coaches know somewhat who is going to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

RedDog, I am right there with you in the disappointing results of last year but Im basing my "faith" on four things. # 1 we had no one able, string enough, nor WILLING to mix it up under the rim for rebounds. So any one coming in it 6''9" is a boost. #2 he was freshman of the year because of his rebounding not scoring. Even if it is the MAC anyone willing to mix it up and fight for rebounds and put backs is exactly what we need on this team. We seen an enormous amount of one shot possessions coming from basically three players this year and I can only recall MAYBE a handful of putbacks and tip ins , not to mention no o
                      inside game at all. So "# 3 he is listed as a center so that says he has a post up resume. If its not him fine but lets get one that does. And # 4 here's hoping he has a chip on this shoulders for being under recruited. A guy with that mindset with the monster factory behind him could just be the ticket.
                      I agree with all you say, just was hoping someone had some inside scoop on this young man before we blindly chase some numbers against MAC level players. If hes the guy, go get him, but we might only have 1 big scholly to burn so we don't necessarily want to overreact.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                        I would wait till the first weekend of the tourney was up before I jump on a guy unless the work has been done and this guy was targeted. Coaches know somewhat who is going to transfer.
                        Excellent points Leo. If we have already vetted this guy, move quick, but the available talent in the tourney wont declare until they get knocked out so our options may increase. I have just never heard of him so I was hopeful someone could substantiate his value.

Comment

We really never know whos going to show up come game time from any recruit, but if an under recruited player can come into a DI conference and earn all freshman award playing the post and a higher recruited player comes in at another school and becomes a virtual wall flower, I'm going to take the player w/ " heart" every time. We at bearcat nation love guys who have something to prove. There are other players available for sure just dont just dismiss someone because they were only a 2 star.

Comment

Different sport, but Desmond Ridder was an under-recruited 2*. That's not to say that Sparks is a Des-equivalent, talent-wise, but the gurus do miss guys.

Comment

I think that Sparks could be a very good 4 not a center.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X