X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob Phinisee Grad transfer PG commit

HAS NOT COMMITTED - but down to Butler and Cincinnati
    https://twitter.com/robphinisee1/sta...46625017888776

Averaged 6.5 points, 2.8 assists, and 2.6 rebounds in four years as a Hoosier. Started 69 games in his first three years. Was the star (out of the blue) in an Indiana upset win versus Purdue this season.

Wouldn't be a star at UC, but could be a decent one-year veteran add who could start at PG next to David DeJulius / could firm up a veteran backcourt with MAW.

A low 4-star recruit. Saw a career low in minutes this year as a senior and also missed several games with a lower body injury. Can hit 3s, but has missed many open shots. Can drive, but often has struggled to finish.

Seems like a great teammate and highly respected.

Played two years at IU while current UC assistant Mike Roberts was on staff. New Butler head coach held an admin position with IU athletics/basketball this past season.

A quick Butler-centric write-up for the Indy Star https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ti/7292373001/
    Last edited by Lobot; 04-20-2022, 07:35 PM.

It would not be fair to MAW who has hung with us to bring in a player of equal ability (and limitations) and start ahead of him. This option doesn't move the needle for me. This would not be a Saunders upgrade.

Comment

I should add that he was pretty solid on defense.

Also, with UC targeting high level PGs in 2023 and beyond, a one-year rental (with hopefully the B12 in 2023) may be okay. And not going to be the easiest to recruit someone major to play in the AAC, especially someone with only one year of eligibility left.

I still feel like he'll most likely end up at Butler, but you never know.

Comment

I appreciate the all caps to begin the post GB31 for us that are challenged in the patience area. But I' m in agreement with RedDog on this. Swapping a 3 star w/ another 3 with the same deficiencies and limitations is gaining us experience only. I dont see how this would move the needle on our being better & more competitive. As RD said it would / could serve to bring nothing but discontent among those who opted to stay. It also speaks to the point that they are apparently no where close to signing any of the more sought after guys in the portal. But as I already admitted it just may be my lack of patience speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
          I should add that he was pretty solid on defense.

Also, with UC targeting high level PGs in 2023 and beyond, a one-year rental (with hopefully the B12 in 2023) may be okay. And not going to be the easiest to recruit someone major to play in the AAC, especially someone with only one year of eligibility left.

I still feel like he'll most likely end up at Butler, but you never know.
          You have made several references to these one year guys playing in the AAC and not getting to be part of our new BIG12 marketing. I think that is a very valid point and could be a huge contributor to our recruiting issues. Not sure how we get around that unless the guy we recruit is coming from a lower conference and the AAC represents an upgrade. I like MAW and he is serviceable, might even improve, and might benefit from having a few more scoring options to dish to. If he is our guy, our emphasis must be on him growing his assists not scoring. His free throws late are great but his role needs to be distribute first and take care of the ball. We will need a second PG as I am not fond of DD in that roll.

Comment

These are all valid points. But the biggest contributing factor in the portal recruiting right this very moment is the NIL. The majority of these kids are going to where they possibility of making bank is first and foremost. As Leo brought out in another thread the $$$ is the deal breaker today.

Comment

Sometimes attitude and toughness compensate for being a 3 star. I want a Rocky 1 who will stay in the fight and get bloody.

Comment

If I’m a Boston College fan and I read we signed a dude out of the portal who averaged 3 ppg and 1 rpg (yawn), that’s how I feel about this dude. Doesn’t close the gap on Houston.
                My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Yes these numbers dont exactly scream offense!
                  Last edited by Rufus; 04-12-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

A lot of the fan base clamored all season about our lack of talent. As of right now, we are looking at p5 kids who were mediocre at best. Meanwhile, our "non talented kids" are getting picked up by p5 schools. A lot can change, but that isn't sitting well with me. Hope I get to eat crow.
                    Cory Huffman
                    Cin City

Comment

I 'm trying to sort out the time frame from when CWM was hired, regroup the team, put together a staff, and finally able to obtain players from the portal and that puts us in the last half of May. By then everyone agrees the majority of players had already committed. So there are still some good players in the portal presently and still more are entering but as I have already admitted my impatience, I am starting to get concerned that we have not obtained any portal people as of yet. And its especially disheartening that all we attract are one year guys. I would like to at least have one power forward that has upside to develope into fan favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post
                        A lot of the fan base clamored all season about our lack of talent. As of right now, we are looking at p5 kids who were mediocre at best. Meanwhile, our "non talented kids" are getting picked up by p5 schools. A lot can change, but that isn't sitting well with me. Hope I get to eat crow.
                        I won't try to judge incoming talent, since I haven't seen any of the potential additions play. As far as the P5 status of the schools receiving UC transfers, neither UT nor BC is exactly a basketball powerhouse, particularly the Eagles. BC have had one winning season in the past eleven, posting an overall record of 125-218. Even that "winning year", 2017-18, the Eagles went only 19-16. The Cats are a better program, despite the current turmoil.
                        Last edited by swilsonsp4; 04-13-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I won't try to judge incoming talent, since I haven't seen any of the potential additions play. As far as the P5 status of the schools receiving UC transfers, neither UT nor BC is exactly a basketball powerhouse, particularly the Eagles. BC have had one winning season in the past eleven, posting an overall record of 125-218. Even that "winning year", 2017-18, the Eagles went only 19-16. The Cats are a better program, despite the current turmoil.
                          I agree. It's just interesting to see.
                          Cory Huffman
                          Cin City

Comment

Big Shot Bob
                            - 2018 versus Butler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stNyTm1N6fI
                            - 2022 versus Purdue: https://twitter.com/HeatCheckCBB/sta...52144564047872

Comment

Well, looks like Rob has had a few decent games in his career with IU.... But overall, avg 6.5pts a game is not lighting it up... Would be a 1yr backup player at PG.... This TEAM lacks Offense/Scoring, hopefully will land a few more players for 2022/23 that can contribute immediately....

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X