No announcement yet.

Game 22: East Carolina 1/30 12:00 ESPNU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't even say that a win is a win and I will take it. Because if they continue this trend, there won't be any wins. There needs to be improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post
      John Newman is trash
      OK. We've been over this once on here this season already. You can criticize your dislike of his game without personally insulting the guy. This kind of thing got reported to me earlier this season (it wasn't you) . I'm not dumb, I know it's popular phrasing these days but maybe there's better ways to express it.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Newman competes, and is probably our best defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

OK. We've been over this once on here this season already. You can criticize your dislike of his game without personally insulting the guy. This kind of thing got reported to me earlier this season (it wasn't you) . I'm not dumb, I know it's popular phrasing these days but maybe there's better ways to express it.
          Newman’s game is trash

Comment

Its amazing how fickle this forum sometimes gets. We all tend to vent at times and sometimes maybe even regret our emotional outbursts. Sometimes we say things that are knee jerk or uninformed, get a second chance, and retract them once cooler heads prevail. Apparently there are even times where we aren't smart enough to show any remorse.
            JN is a good kid. I spoke highly of him early on when I thought he was a good pickup, having seen him play several times at Clemson. Like lots of players he had an adjustment period with his new coach and team. He played hard and I was still optimistic early in the season, but his numbers weren't great and several on the forum were pretty condescending. I wasn't quite sure what they were seeing and why they couldn't see talent through the circumstances. A few weeks ago he really hit his stride and his numbers and confidence really improved and some were even declaring him our best player. He finally was accepted and respected. Not sure why it took so long for him to step up or our fans to see his contribution but it did. Now he has one bad game and gets trashed. C'mon man, these are young men who aren't gonna be at their best every night and we need to cut them some slack. We have 12 guys in our regular rotation (different topic) and surely the responsibility for an off night should be shared to include the coaching. There was a lot to be concerned with watching that game and a lot of blame to go around without singling out one guy who recently has been carrying more than his share of the load. I think your attack is regrettable, classless and uninformed. If all you can bring to the table is trash, I'd rather you keep it to yourself. If everyones effort matched JN we would be having a much different season.

Comment

I observed something in yesterday's game that I dont recall ever happening thus far in the season. In CWM's decree to allow these players to play " their style" which as we all know has been to being the "guy" who scores first and most, this has resulted in very selfish bball not to mention a lot of air balls, bricks and rocks and a lot of very ill advised shots. Slowly but surely these guys are now learning how to play together, as a unit and not as five guys trying to get their points. Im not being facetious in this but right before the 13:00 minute mark DDJ passed the ball to DJ at the top of the key and then JD moved right and flipped the ball back to DDJ. The point is, I got to thinking that I could not remember that ever happening before although Im sure it has. It just had to right? I mean I've watched every single game and thus far when JD or DDJ has gotten the ball it has been their mission to score points, to be the "man". And I know that they dont each shoot it every time they touch the ball ( although you could argue the case for each) but when they did pass, it has never been to each other. Not that I can remember. As they each desire to be the leader and the go to guy they have avoided passing to each other and opting instead to either shoot or passing to someone else ( if a pass were available) We are slowly seeing these guys progress into a unit. It may be that this rotation thing has suppressed the progress some but lets continue to play as a unit, but I digress!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                Noon start not ideal. But as a fan, it's pretty solid with the Bengals playing at 3.
                Have to admit I thought the odds of both the Bearcats and Bengals winning their games were long. Over the moon happy with the outcome yesterday. It's why I go through the frustration for days like yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  I observed something in yesterday's game that I dont recall ever happening thus far in the season. In CWM's decree to allow these players to play " their style" which as we all know has been to being the "guy" who scores first and most, this has resulted in very selfish bball not to mention a lot of air balls, bricks and rocks and a lot of very ill advised shots. Slowly but surely these guys are now learning how to play together, as a unit and not as five guys trying to get their points. Im not being facetious in this but right before the 13:00 minute mark DDJ passed the ball to DJ at the top of the key and then JD moved right and flipped the ball back to DDJ. The point is, I got to thinking that I could not remember that ever happening before although Im sure it has. It just had to right? I mean I've watched every single game and thus far when JD or DDJ has gotten the ball it has been their mission to score points, to be the "man". And I know that they dont each shoot it every time they touch the ball ( although you could argue the case for each) but when they did pass, it has never been to each other. Not that I can remember. As they each desire to be the leader and the go to guy they have avoided passing to each other and opting instead to either shoot or passing to someone else ( if a pass were available) We are slowly seeing these guys progress into a unit. It may be that this rotation thing has suppressed the progress some but lets continue to play as a unit, but I digress!
                  I don't think this team has played selfish. They just lack scorers and the necessary number of players who can create their own shots. Honestly, DDJ and MAW are really the only guys in the half court who are fairly skilled at creating a shot, and in MAW case it's because of his experience. Saunders is much more likely to get a shot in transition than the half court, and JD is a complete catch and shoot guy. This team has to get stops on defense in order to get decent looks in the half court. They just don't have guys in the half court with the exception of DDJ and that makes life very difficult. They have to settle for a limited amount of guys trying to get something once the clock winds down. You can't really throw it inside to anyone for any better result right now.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post

I don't think this team has played selfish. They just lack scorers and the necessary number of players who can create their own shots. Honestly, DDJ and MAW are really the only guys in the half court who are fairly skilled at creating a shot, and in MAW case it's because of his experience. Saunders is much more likely to get a shot in transition than the half court, and JD is a complete catch and shoot guy. This team has to get stops on defense in order to get decent looks in the half court. They just don't have guys in the half court with the exception of DDJ and that makes life very difficult. They have to settle for a limited amount of guys trying to get something once the clock winds down. You can't really throw it inside to anyone for any better result right now.
                    I agree.
                    What I don't understand is with our bigs why aren't they under the basket where they can score or rebound.
                    Most of the time I see them, they're out on the perimeter.
                    I wasn't anticipating too much this year so I'm not too disappointed, but I am confused/

Comment

Originally posted by John P View Post

I agree.
                      What I don't understand is with our bigs why aren't they under the basket where they can score or rebound.
                      Most of the time I see them, they're out on the perimeter.
                      I wasn't anticipating too much this year so I'm not too disappointed, but I am confused/
                      One reason, when you don't have a lot of really good offensive options your best shot at freeing guys up is to screen. Both Ado and Koval do that pretty well. Experienced guys who know that end of the game. That's the difference between a 15 and 6 team, and a 10 and 11 team. It's their best use. Honestly, when either one gets a rebound on the offensive end, what do you think the chances are of a put back? Not good from what we've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Newman’s game is trash
                        Really? C'mon
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Anyway, Here's the team celebration:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZZnv-rI..._web_copy_link
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

don't think this team has played selfish. They just lack scorers and the necessary number of players who can create their own shots.

Coach, you make a very good point and great observation. And I think that that very thing has contributed to the selfishness at least in the very beginning of the season. If JD and DDJ are fully aware that they are the only ones capable of creating shots (and I think they do ) then it would be advantageous for them to play off each other to create better shots as opposed to coming down and launching shots as soon as you cross the mid court line ( ala JD numerous times). My point was these two in particular are just now becoming aware that they are much much better playing with each other rather than trying to outdo the other.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X