No announcement yet.

Wes Miller thread Take 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... of late everybody looks good and fresh in their losses... LOL. But I get it and had they been winning a lot of late, we'd probably not even notice. Just seems like that eliminates sticking with the hot hand on those nights where someone might ACTIVELY be earning time on the court for that game.

Comment

That's just coach talk for "these kids today are not going to be recruited just to sit the bench for a freshman and sophomore year so they can be developed" They are not going to be here for more than two years max in all likelihood anyway so you have to play them now or lose them. His philosophy of having five guys running from coast to coast needs ten or more guys that can shoot and score, pass for the easy , open shot and open to everyone scoring the ball. And as we all know we dont have it then present time.

Comment

I am not a basketball coach, so maybe what I am about to write does not make a lot of sense. The numbers do not lie. If you look at the conference stats on the season for UC basketball, they are horrible. For instance, UC was outscored 70.2 to 68.8; outrebounded 39.6 to 36.4; opposing teams shot a higher 3pt. average .349 to .333; and was outshot from 2pt. range .416 to .395. I am of the mindset that when something does not work well, try something else. Why continue to work the same starting lineup and substitution patterns when you are getting your #@%$&^ kicked night in and night out. UC takes a 5 GAME LOSING STREAK into the conference tournament. No other team in the AAC has more than a 2-game losing streak going into tournament play. At what point, if you are a coach, do you look for some solutions when things are NOT going right? I guess Miller and Roberts never got to that point this season. Now the regular season is finished. All that UC basketball has to show for the season is an 8th place team in the AAC that grossly underperformed. The honeymoon season is NOW over for Miller and company. They will have a chance to bring in some of THEIR recruits for next season. The pressure just got more intense. Let's see if Miller can get to a post season tournament next year, or, at least, improve the conference record from this year. We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
          I am not a basketball coach, so maybe what I am about to write does not make a lot of sense. The numbers do not lie. If you look at the conference stats on the season for UC basketball, they are horrible. For instance, UC was outscored 70.2 to 68.8; outrebounded 39.6 to 36.4; opposing teams shot a higher 3pt. average .349 to .333; and was outshot from 2pt. range .416 to .395. I am of the mindset that when something does not work well, try something else. Why continue to work the same starting lineup and substitution patterns when you are getting your #@%$&^ kicked night in and night out. UC takes a 5 GAME LOSING STREAK into the conference tournament. No other team in the AAC has more than a 2-game losing streak going into tournament play. At what point, if you are a coach, do you look for some solutions when things are NOT going right? I guess Miller and Roberts never got to that point this season. Now the regular season is finished. All that UC basketball has to show for the season is an 8th place team in the AAC that grossly underperformed. The honeymoon season is NOW over for Miller and company. They will have a chance to bring in some of THEIR recruits for next season. The pressure just got more intense. Let's see if Miller can get to a post season tournament next year, or, at least, improve the conference record from this year. We will see.
          "Grossly underperformed" according to who? They were picked for 6th place pre-season. This is a roster thrown together over a few short weeks. Yes, early season success may have raised dour expectations / hopes. But once teams got enough tape, the Bearcats deficiencies were fully on display. The honeymoon isn't over, sorry. Just like with Coach Fickell we need to give Coach Miller a chance to build his own roster. This is no different than the mess that Cronin inherited. How many years did it take for him to right the ship? Seeing the recruits that are coming to visit or putting UC as finalists is very encouraging. Never saw the likes of them before. I know we all want instant success. Rarely happens. Just look at Houston. Sampson has been there 8 years now. How'd those first few years go for him?

Comment

Seriously what did people realistically expect? Maybe they keep putting the same guys out there because in their estimation that’s the best they have. People looking for improvement? If you’ve been at the college level for 3/4 years, except for some rare instances how much better are you going to get? People acknowledge that there are reasons some of these guys were still available at a late point and yet somehow Wes is supposed to turn them into players they never were. Look, as long as they are trying you simply can not expect them to be more physically/mentally able then they are capable of being! This is no knock on these kids - they are what they are - but people who expected this obviously flawed group to be much more than they have been were never going to be right!

Comment

Richard.. I agree with most of what you say but.. I think if we HAD seen some players develop this year, we would have given coach credit for improving guys which talent levels that you speak of. That development really did not happen. The down side of that is that.. we are saying that the only way this team WILL improve is thru roster turnover. If that is the truth... so be it.. i just means that you are
              looking at another 3-4 years for that roster turnover to be complete.

Comment

I actually think DDJ, JD, MS and even MAW have all improved. MAW and MS big issues are both in the shooting dept. which once you get to the college level is not one where huge strides are often made. If you did not need both of those kids to be scorers there offensive woes would not be a big issue. When you get into MM and Vik, they've both had their injury bugs, and particularly in Vik's case it's his first season. Almost the same for JH given he didn't play a lot last year in an abbreviated season. JH is more comfortable though on the court now than at the beginning of the year based on the eye test. I think he's starting to get his sea legs so to speak. HK and AA are 6th year guys, they're not going to turn into big time offensive kids in 8 months. JN and OO are kind of unique. JN has played pretty well towards the end of the year particularly given he also had injury bugs this and last year. If this team had a solid front court scorer, like an Eason this year, it would make the rest of the guys a lot better. We just don't have that guy right now. There's a reason we were picked in preseason to be a middle of the pack team. It's gonna take time, the 3 coaches in 4 years has left a roster of little experience playing together. It's important unless you field an AAU all star team and even that doesn't work all the time. A lot of these kids have played under multiple coaches. Not easy. Not a true senior scholarship Cincy player on the roster other than I guess Sam Martin who's a walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by bba_1979 View Post

"Grossly underperformed" according to who? They were picked for 6th place pre-season. This is a roster thrown together over a few short weeks. Yes, early season success may have raised dour expectations / hopes. But once teams got enough tape, the Bearcats deficiencies were fully on display. The honeymoon isn't over, sorry. Just like with Coach Fickell we need to give Coach Miller a chance to build his own roster. This is no different than the mess that Cronin inherited. How many years did it take for him to right the ship? Seeing the recruits that are coming to visit or putting UC as finalists is very encouraging. Never saw the likes of them before. I know we all want instant success. Rarely happens. Just look at Houston. Sampson has been there 8 years now. How'd those first few years go for him?
                  I do agree that this year's team was put together on a wing and a prayer. I also agree that in a lot of the cases, NOT ALL, a new coach needs some time to get acceptable results. On the other hand, this year's UC team had many 3, 4, and 5 year D-1 level players. This team has plenty of playing experience. This team has some pretty good parts and pieces. A good solid coach that knows how to maximize his players' performances could have gotten all types of positive play out of them (think Bob Huggins in 89/90 with that rag-tag team. Think Cronin in Sean Kilpatrick's last year. That team had nothing, but they made it to the NCAAs). I have seen every UC game this season. They played to impress, but NOT to win. They DID NOT play as a team. How many ONE-MAN fast breaks did we see this season with men open down court? How many times did players take wild shots from 3 point distance with plenty time left on the clock? UC was in 9 close games this season where the game was still up for grabs with about 3 or 4 minutes left on the clock (AR, Monmouth, Miami, 1st Memphis game, Wichita St., 1st Temple game, 2nd ECU game, 2nd South Fla. game, and 2nd SMU game). UC LOST 6 of those 9 games. Those losses resulted mainly from untimely turnovers, bad shot selection, bizarre substitution patterns, lack of timely defensive rebounding, and an inability to get defensive stops when they were really needed. Good teams do NOT have these types of break-downs in their play. Also, and more importantly, this team does NOT have good player leadership. It is difficult for the team's so-called best player to get in another player's face to challenge him to NOT make mistakes when the best player makes the most mistakes. This year's team have a lot of problems and the coaching staff appeared not to do a lot to find solutions. I like Miller. I believe that you got to give the man time to get his type players in his system. However, good coaches are aware that sometimes things do not happen has planned. In those cases, you must build a system around your player's capabilities. With the level of experience on this team (4 former Power 5 players, one 4 star recruit and many 3 star recruits, former SEC All Defensive Team player, and a coach that won 20 games a season for 5 consecutive years), they had the capabilities to win more than 7 out of 18 conference games. Maybe I am a little hard on the team. I want them to win EVERY GAME. Once a losing culture creeps into a program, it is very difficult to remove it. No one wants that. UC basketball has a losing conference record for the first time in approximately 15 years. Neither one of Brannen's two UC teams had a losing record in the conference. It took Miller 6 years at UNCG to bring home a team with a consistent winning record. He is NOT going have 6 years to do his thing. I am positive on Miller. The next step is to bring in some players that can play Miller's style of ball effectively. I am looking forward to next year.
                  Last edited by leeraymond; 03-07-2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

"Just look at Houston. Sampson has been there 8 years now. How'd those first few years go for him?"

I remember Sampson saying if we are going to beat Cincinnati we need to get stronger and more physical. Cronin learned how to win using athletes along with a couple guys who could shoot. Those teams, as well as Huggins' manhandled people. As has been said repeatedly Miller began this year with his hands tied. He promised these kids a style of bball that kids today want to play and so to play that way you have to recruit other kids that wish to play the same way. And so you cant play a style that doesn't appeal to those your recruiting and expect them to sign up to play a different way that was promised! Maybe he wins playing a more slower approach maybe he dont. But he's now allowed those who he has now to play his way so as to see what he needs to build a winning program. That's how I'm looking at things. I was disappointed in this year, however we still ended up winning more than we lost, but more importantly hes acquired a ton of info regarding deficiencies, etc.

Comment

The last coaches show of the year is happening tonight and it's on an hour early according to Dan Hoard. 7-8 at the original Montgomery Inn. (WLW)?
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

For anyone with kids or young relatives:

https://www.wesmillerbasketballcamps.com/

Comment

Forgot to post this, but the one year anniversary of the Wes Miller hiring was this past Thursday. Big offseason and season ahead!

Comment

I'm looking forward to season # 2. Year one was a little bumpy once conference schedule began play (maybe a little before) so now that the honeymoon is over here's hoping we can develope some chemistry and some offense and put together a competitive roster. Here's to ya Wes!

Comment

Q&A from Brian Hamilton of The Athletic with Wes Miller ($)
                              https://theathletic.com/3289622/2022...nd-whats-next/

A few high level "nuggets" for non-subscribers without revealing too much "premium" content (as always, he is very thoughtful and articulate)

- Doing a lot to prepare now for the Big 12 transition
                              - Alluded to needing facility upgrades
                              - Hinted at the importance of NIL in recruiting
                              - Seems pleased with the foundation built as far as the roster goes
                              - They have learned a lot from the slide in defensive efficiency in AAC play
                              - Need to improve scoring (adding Nolley should help) and rebounding
                              - Thinks Davenport is capable of a huge leap this year
                              - Lakhin is having a great offseason, which hopefully translates into a big jump
                              - There will be an opportunity for Skillings and Reed to contribute immediately
                              - The Big 12 has been a big selling point/seems to be resonating in recruiting
                              Last edited by GoBearcats31; 05-03-2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                                Q&A from Brian Hamilton of The Athletic with Wes Miller ($)
                                https://theathletic.com/3289622/2022...nd-whats-next/

A few high level "nuggets" for non-subscribers without revealing too much "premium" content (as always, he is very thoughtful and articulate)

- Doing a lot to prepare now for the Big 12 transition
                                - Alluded to needing facility upgrades
                                - Hinted at the importance of NIL in recruiting
                                - Seems pleased with the foundation built as far as the roster goes
                                - They have learned a lot from the slide in defensive efficiency in AAC play
                                - Need to improve scoring (adding Nolley should help) and rebounding
                                - Thinks Davenport is capable of a huge leap this year
                                - Lakhin is having a great offseason, which hopefully translates into a big jump
                                - There will be an opportunity for Skillings and Reed to contribute immediately
                                - The Big 12 has been a big selling point/seems to be resonating in recruiting
                                If Jeremiah and Viktor have huge leaps, this will be a good to very good team, with or without contributions from the Frosh. A scorer like Nolley should open things up for Dejulius and everyone else.
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X