Game 26: Tulsa 2/12 8:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fox19bearcatbounce View Post
    I think Miller's biggest issue besides not understanding offensive execution is having these selfish players get a automatic amount of playing time regardless who is playing good or getting hot. There has to be competition for time, iron sharpens iron. Giving guys allocated time regardless if they are playing hard or not has been his recipe for disaster. We dont press and guys font rebound and play hard on defense and on offense they jack up the lowest percentage shots from our worst shooters. If u dont have anyone to put in supposedly to have a teaching moment then why do we almost go 10 deep, stop guaranteeing everyone so much time. If u dont box out, your out. U take 5 straight 50 ft 3 point shots and miss everything 1 second into shot clock, then ur out. Even if only for 5. Or 3 minutes, teach them and for the love of god stop allowing them to be so weak and loose with everything. Some pressure that u wont start or wont play ad much is a good thing, stop letting them do whatever they want, it's obviously not working.
    Sounds like coach is reaching his limit with this.

https://twitter.com/williams_justin/...707998208?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Fox19bearcatbounce View Post
      We have seen dunks and alley hoops, unfortunately it's just not our guys doing the dunking or passing.
      LOL. Pretty many of those.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Sounds like coach is reaching his limit with this.

https://twitter.com/williams_justin/...707998208?s=21
        Send a message, dont let them wear bearcat practice jerseys, start martin and anyone else who never gets playing time for first couple minutes next game. Teach them they have to value possessions since they have no one to do anything besides jack contested 3 point shots. Take ado and jd out the starting lineup, make the bigs get hit in practice with pads. Do something, allowing them to do what they want with no consequence is embarassing. I understand he had not much time to recruit, I do, but make them listen. I know we dont have offense outside of dd, make them then defend, full court press or u dont put in the effort or in jd, saunders and hensley case, bench them when not in right position. This is effort related things that u can make them do or sit on bench until they can. I will take a loss when u play hard, but these guys are wearing bearcat uniforms and are softer than baby poop. Maybe brannen wasnt right for cincy and I think he definitely wasnt but maybe he was right saying they were too soft. Ado is starting because he blocks a shot a game, koval cant make a layup and has been blocked by 2 5 ft guys and then shoots the 3? What if nysier Brooks took 2 or 3- 3pt shots a game for cronin? Or biggie mclain? They wouldn't play. Now were not making the tournament and that's on miller and team, but for the love of god please send them a message. Be tough or get out now.
        Last edited by Fox19bearcatbounce; 02-13-2022, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I have watched Cincinnati basketball for nearly 30 years. I did something Saturday night I have never done before; I turned the game off. What is Miller's formula for winning? With Huggins it was defense and controlling the boards. With Cronin it was defense, rebounding, keeping teams off the free throw line, and keeping teams from driving the paint. Miller claims to be a defensive-minded coach. However, this UC team struggles to get stops when they really NEED them. Saturday night, they could not stop Tulsa at all (last place team). Also, I have watched videos and read press clippings of DeJulius and Davenport all season. I have yet to hear or read about them discussing WINNING a game. They talk a lot about what they did in the game, but nothing about what it takes to win. Additionally, has anyone on this blog ever heard or seen Miller mention anything about what is needed to get to the post-season tournaments? I know I have not. What were the goals for this year's team? At any rate, Memphis comes in next. Did anybody see what Memphis did to Houston (in Houston). UC will be lucky if they lose by 20. I am still rooting for UC. I like to think that it is NOT too late for this team. There are still 7 regular season games left and at least 1 conference tournament game. The NCAA tournament is NOT possible unless they win the conference tournament (not likely). However, they can still get to the NIT (I assume). The question is: does this team really want to play in the post season? These last 8 games or so will really show what this program is all about.
          Last edited by leeraymond; 02-13-2022, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

MAW 4-17 shooting. No way in **** should that guy be putting up 17 shots. But then you replace him with Saunders who everybody in the league has figured out.
            But wait there is more - 4-for-17 including 0-7 from 3-point range.

Comment

Well its was the same team, same effort, same rotation, same inept defense and same old ineffective 3 point shooting. The same coaching plan and exact recipe as the last 20 something games. I think we need to face facts that CWM did not go to visit these kids who were in the portal because they were coveted players but because he needed them to fill a roster. We assumed they were good because Brannen recruited them but the two that were bball players left. We got our expectations boosted when we were given Newman's, Oguama's and some others bio' and resumes. We should have had some reservations about this season when it was released that it was JD's team for the reason that he decided to stay. All last season his jump shot looked very ugly unorthodox and uncomfortable, as does MS's now. However we were told that all these kids were working hard on their ball skills. I went on record based on everything coming out of clifton in the off season saying that we just might shock some people but, friends, face it, CWM has a major, major rebuilding job in front of him. Hes knows what hes got talent wise now and getting the most of them. That is the saddest part is seeing these kids continue the same play . But its futile to keep referring to the Ed Jucker's, Bob Huggins, Mick Cronin's of the past. CWM isn't stupid, he sees these kids everyday and he knows that he can only put lipstick on this years pig and any win is a plus. Im almost sure hes just trying to get through the season and the tournaments aren't even a thought so that he can start putting some bball players on this roster for next year. For me I'm just looking forward to the throwback unit's and then calling it a season.
              Last edited by Rufus; 02-13-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I live & die with every Bearcat win & loss. I will always keep supporting them no matter what & not trash any current or former player.
                Let's start a win streak with our next 3 home games! Go Bearcats!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                  Well its was the same team, same effort, same rotation, same inept defense and same old ineffective 3 point shooting. The same coaching plan and exact recipe as the last 20 something games. I think we need to face facts that CWM did not go to visit these kids who were in the portal because they were coveted players but because he needed them to fill a roster. We assumed they were good because Brannen recruited them but the two that were bball players left. We got our expectations boosted when we were given Newman's, Oguama's and some others bio' and resumes. We should have had some reservations about this season when it was released that it was JD's team for the reason that he decided to stay. All last season his jump shot looked very ugly unorthodox and uncomfortable, as does MS's now. However we were told that all these kids were working hard on their ball skills. I went on record based on everything coming out of clifton in the off season saying that we just might shock some people but, friends, face it, CWM has a major, major rebuilding job in front of him. Hes knows what hes got talent wise now and getting the most of them. That is the saddest part is seeing these kids continue the same play . But its futile to keep referring to the Ed Jucker's, Bob Huggins, Mick Cronin's of the past. CWM isn't stupid, he sees these kids everyday and he knows that he can only put lipstick on this years pig and any win is a plus. Im almost sure hes just trying to get through the season and the tournaments aren't even a thought so that he can start putting some bball players on this roster for next year. For me I'm just looking forward to the throwback unit's and then calling it a season.
                  Rufus - I can never accept mediocrity nor make excuses for it. Did you think Tulsa has that much better talent or were they made to look as though. Most D1 kids can hit an open shot as can many high school and some grade schoolers. Sadly our response has been the same as some of the current team. They got their free ride and perhaps a degree and due to size, maybe a job playing overseas. The question is if you are right about CWM is what is different between his quitting and CJB quiting. If it is rebuilding, play those who want to grow and be part of the future team. What difference does it make if the loss is by 6 or 26. What is gained by continuing this excrement on the floor. Yes CWM needed the portal people and I believe he wants to win (what would be his future without that want), but I think many can be coached up if they care. They may not win big, but they need to respect themselves as players. Once there is a cancer it is hard to stop it even in the next season. Case in point - The Super bowl Bengals did that

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                    I live & die with every Bearcat win & loss. I will always keep supporting them no matter what & not trash any current or former player.
                    Let's start a win streak with our next 3 home games! Go Bearcats!!!!!
                    I would settle for some fundamentally sound team play or the best effort towards that goal. Of course wins are also nice, butt they can distort the truth. We will be playing the rest of the games with a few other teams just playing out the season as well. I hope that is not really the case though.

Comment

• There is so much wrong at this point it's hard to capture it. He starts the same 5 guys every game, 3 of whom (Ado, Newman, MAW) who are very little threat to score. So if DDJ and Davenport don't hit some 3's we are usually down at the first break. It's not like this starting group is any good defensively so why keep it the same?

Then we keep substituting in and out regardless what's happening. Depth is not a strength if you have no continuity. Sometimes we will have a little momentum going and he'll sit the guys who are playing well. Last night it was obvious Tulsa just took us 1/1 time after time scoring at the basket. Do we change defenses? No. Do we know how to run a zone? I doubt it. I know a zone can be tough for rebounding but we don't rebound well anyway.

It is so frustrating to continue to do the same things over and over just because that's your thing. It's hard to know what Miller thinks or is trying to do because his interviews give you the same coach BS that means nothing. I'll say it again. I hope MIller is a much better recruiter than he is a coach because I see nothing that gives me hope he can coach anybody up. He's more like a peewee coach with all the clapping and back slapping when there should be some kicks in the butt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
                        We have no one that can finish with strength at the basket. It's embarassing.
                        I made this observation last night. MAW in particular cannot finish through contact. Time to get out the football pads in the paint.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Impossible to evaluate Miller this season. We have a roster full of midmajor players. I’m so proud of DeJulius. He’s improvement has been remarkable. This team lacks athletes. Even Tony Yates had Lou Banks and Levertis Robinson.
                          My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

• Im not suggesting that CMW is throwing in the towel or just biding time. I'm thinking that hes evaluated the talent at his disposal and just how far these kids are willing to work. We've already been through a good chunk of the season and they are still playing the same as they did the beginning if the year. Some have observed regression on part of some instead of progression. A coaches lifespan in college ball these days are dependent on wins and wins alone. But none of ours bigs has a post game, have no court or player presence, several of these players continually drive the basket with the intent of trying to draw a foul rather than attempting shots. And then they telegraph their shot / pass resulting in a turnover. Part of that is on the player who is being passed to because of the afore mentioned lack of court awareness. JD, twice last night took a shot from the top of the arc with no more than 5 seconds ticked off the clock. I cant for the life of me see where CWM is alright with that and I really dont understand why JD continues to do it game after game but it has become a major part of his game. Hes either not understanding or hes not being told not to do that. It is possible that these kids are refusing to be coached? These are the same kids that participated in the mutiny last years. Im not a coach by any stretch but I do know that we are witnessing a lack of development from several players and as to why the same players are getting playing time and others continue to sit is baffling.

Comment

• One would think that CWM would be well within his right to tell the players that no one is guaranteed a scholarship for next year. That assessment will be determined between now and the end of the year. He knows that this current roster is not good enough and must determine who can play better than they have up to this point. Next years roster must be MUCH better regardless whether it is with these guys or transfers.

Comment

• You are correct Boris. Here's hoping CWM exercises that right.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X